MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

Post subject: Canoga Park
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:43 am 
Glow Ball

This won't go down in mtm2 history as one of the great ones, but it wasn't until recently I was able to demonstrate just exactly what it is that makes this one special. Have a look at this screenshot.

<a href="http://mtm2.com/~tracks/trackpic.cgi?thistrack=3215">Canoga Park</a>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:46 am 

Hey, I can see my office window at ZO headquarters from here...is that me waving?

Perhaps this one should be renamed "Phineus City"...... [:P]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:01 pm 

Are those 3d models or ground boxes? (i forgot).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:09 pm 
Glow Ball

They'd be models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:02 am 

It is currently a bit easy for racing (if you like I can send you some slippery spare gravel from my tracks, lol) but the concept is very interesting indeed, with many ways to reach the next CP.

Are there any special problems relating to this sort of track?
Was the block size dictated by some technical limitations (e.g. the number of vertices to be drawn)?

I immediately thought of a SanFrancisco type of layout which could perhaps even allow popup-free implementation.
But maybe some relative of Aynsley Dunbar is already working on that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:54 pm 
Glow Ball

I dug around and found the original source of inspriation for this one.

http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?t=1227

Most of the thread survived the change over to the new forum, but I think it would kill emceemart just about now.

> if you like I can send you some slippery spare gravel from my tracks, lol

I'm never going to hear the end of this one [bump] [;)] [:P]

> Are there any special problems relating to this sort of track? Was the block size dictated by some technical limitations (e.g. the number of vertices to be drawn)?

Yes, there are all kinds of issues with this one. Not so bad if you consider it was just an experiment front to back, but still problems none the less. Viewing distance is definitely a concern. Oh yes indeed. And the backdrop shines through if the elevation shifts much. I've since thought of a fix but haven't done anything new yet to confirm. And it's just shy of too many objects and too many verticies, but doesn't actually trigger them. I thought of making the buildings smaller but then I need to use ground boxes to pull up the slack. That would be technically challenging if I was to use the same techniques for making the sit file.

> I immediately thought of a SanFrancisco type of layout which could perhaps even allow popup-free implementation.

I have "mild" elevation changes in my new/unreleased expo track - which uses a different backdrop. Nothing I would describe as SF but traces of it are there. I actually thought of Bullet when test driving. Also, there is one called Golden Gate Rally you might like to check out for ideas.

> But maybe some relative of Aynsley Dunbar is already working on that..

Mr. Dunbar is currently busy giving dance lessons and cosmic prayer for guidance. I think you're clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:01 pm 

oh my god!! i recall doing Golden gate with OBE some time ago. That was really something!!! nothing easy there lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:19 am 
Trackologist

Quote:
Mr. Dunbar is currently busy giving dance lessons and cosmic prayer for guidance. I think you're clear.

LOL quite a talent, that Mr. Dunbar.

You know, the first time I ran this, I thought to meself, "Hmmm...there's more than meets the eye here knowing Phin, but I don't have a clue as to what it is...". Then I forgot to ask ya about it lol. How many models are in this track, anyway? I read the thread where you were formulating ideas and crunching numbers. Did you end up stopping at 441 models or did you max it out? Looks like a heck of a lot more than 541 in that screenshot.

No, it won't win any beauty contest but it's pretty dang interesting I think. I'm going to have to take another spin on it now that I have this newfound perspective. If I don't hear back from ya I'll count the buildings as I cruise thru the city lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:00 am 
easy company

Quote:
Hmmm...there's more than meets the eye here knowing Phin

Waldo

[:P]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:43 am 
Glow Ball

> I'll count the buildings as I cruise thru the city lol.

You'll be counting a very long time. It is a unique feature of this game that permitted infinite models in this track. True, it is theoretically possible to halt quantification in the approximate neighborhood of 440 or so but that is a mirage. The trick, if there is one, was to place the models without the benefit of track editor and do it with precision and, at the same time, without pushing mr. dunbar over the non-existent edge of the mtm world. The project, from start to finish, was an exercise attempting to demonstrate its possibility. Nice work if you can get it. For my next trick, I'll attempt to solve the altitude problem but I don't anticipate results any time soon =(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:53 am 

huh? whats so special? U placed a bunch of models by writing a script. Big deal. Whats so great? I'm confused. Am i missing somthing? The limit is 512 right? And you did 441 right? So whats so special?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:46 pm 

[:-)]