MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

Post subject: reaching for originality
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 4:08 am 

What's up kids.

I've had some ideas that I thought I'd share with you all. Maybe they suck, maybe they rock, you be the judge. Some of this stuff has been thought of I'm sure, but hopefully my personal longing to reach new heights of originality will be fullfilled in some way.

I'll start with the less great stuff. Here's a cool way to put in a secret shortcut(s) in your track(s). Put an object in and don't apply a BIN to it. The one in this picture that the truck is parked on has these properties to it (just some minor info obviously):

Size 92 x 128 x 1
Above ground 47.2

If you really that much about it, I'll give you a picture from Traxx (I don't think it's that big of a deal).

Here's the pic:

The next idea in my head I thought was pretty sweet. If somebody thought of this before me, I won't be that surprised, but I will be mad. I'll get over it, though.

Check it out - fake textures. You take the same textures that are on the ground and make flat models out of them and cover up the ground with those flat models and lower the ground beneath so it looks like you're going to be driving on the road, and then you fall through to a completely different world (if you want to).

I just used the textures that were on the ground and used TXBIN to create flat tiles (8192 x 8192, no transparency or animation). An important step is to place them in Traxx on flat terrain before you correct the terrain to slope down so they will be flat and align to each other properly (definitely the most effecient way). Also a great idea for secrets...

My other idea (at this moment) might be considered cool by some and really crappy for others (especially those of you who rock at texture making). Keep in mind my big goal in sight here is originality. Look at some of the cool effects you can make with single-colored textures.

First, check out this view with a single completely white-colored textured environment. You can't even tell that there are tall walls surrounding the trucks.

It's all how you look at it. I think it totally rocks driving through. The sky's the limit for this stuff. You can transition fine from regular textures using gradients, too.

I got a bunch more stuff in my brain, but I thought I'd get out some of my ideas. I have a bunch more cool stuff; maybe I'll show you guys later (if you want). The sky's the limit. Dare to be different.

If you do decided to use some of my ideas, give me some credit and let me know so I can check it out! Tell me what you guys think.

Post subject: Re: reaching for originality
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:45 am 
Glow Ball

> Put an object in and don't apply a BIN to it.

This has been done in dozens of tracks, either for short cuts, or safety nets to prevent you falling, and in the worst case to obstruct short cuts. Examples are too numerous to single out one or two. The down side is that computer trucks will often drive right through them.

> fake textures

This has been done in varying forms. Most recently in undeniably crazy to create a drivable skyway that does not offer shadows or visible eye sores from below. The idea of an underworld is best seen in anarchy in wonderland, tho he doesn't cover the entrance way. And then again in 3-2-1 blastoff, tho the worlds are horizontal rather than vertical. This is also used to mask hidden passage ways, like in chase the dragon. Many many examples of this kind of thing, but many many more ways it could still be used.

> An important step is to place them in Traxx on flat terrain before you correct the terrain to slope down so they will be flat and align to each other properly (definitely the most efficient way). Also a great idea for secrets...

This technique was first described by guitar bill and elaborated on by obeone, and has been used for many a model alignment. You can also approximate their position using traxx, then edit the sit file for 100% accuracy.

> single-colored textures

These generally appear with less experienced makers or in specialized situations as the effect wears out fast. However, it does make for some good screen shots and I've used it to take pictures of models that would not open in binedit. Like all things, this has it's place and can be useful.

A few extras for you

> track palettes

Can be exploited for creative effect. See Black Magic by Burn

> teleporters/elevators

Placing a ramp above the road will lift the truck to it's level. Best used in combination with ground boxes. See Time Machine by Badger

> porportion

Resizing models so monster trucks appear as mice. Zoon's kitchen, Obe's Warehouse, Hotshoe's Sandbox, Bugsbunny's Pooltable. There's a lot of room left for ideas like these.

> special and animated backdrops

See Darkstar by Oliver Pieper as well as Godzilla vs Bigfoot

> I got a bunch more stuff in my brain

Sounds good. Let's see you put them into tracks.

> If you do decided to use some of my ideas, give me some credit

Credits are nice, but seeking second-hand attention from somebody else's work doesn't fly. If you want credit, I suggest you make tracks and release them. People will see who is who.

> I've had some ideas that I thought I'd share with you all.

And we're grateful. This is a site the values sharing and we look forward to more from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:52 pm 
Trackologist

Agree - I've run quite a few tracks, and many of the characteristics you've highlighted I've seen before. Still, don't let the fact that your attempt at originality came up short. How you use the ideas you've presented (and even the ones you haven't) is the key. Attention to detail, proper beta testing, and fine tuning the results of such testing into a well-made track will yield more attention and "credit" than a single idea that may or may not be original. :) So what do ya say, hero - you up for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:51 pm 

Man guys. I haven't followed this nearly as closely as you guys obviously, cause I thought I actually had at least one idea that somebody hasn't thought of. I guess this game has been around for enough years to be pretty covered. Maybe I was trying too hard.

Thanks for the tips, Phineus. I appreciate your honesty. And SLO_COPE, am I up for it? Probably not man. I'm graduating from high school next week, and I really should spend my time doing more useful stuff. Track-making is really addictive. But I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys that...

One more thing - where do I go about downloading these tracks you guys mentioned? Maybe these guys who used these ideas didn't do as good a job as they could have...

Thanks for everything guys. Have a great day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:29 pm 
easy company

I thought I actually had at least one idea that somebody hasn't thought of.

:o) I know that feeling all too well

where do I go about downloading these tracks you guys mentioned?

the largest online mtm track archive in existence > http://mtm2.com/~tracks