FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

Post subject: World Grand Prix 1 by Cr@$hC@rt
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:43 am 
Trackologist

Fast Lap: 00:40.82 by SLO_COPE
Garage Setting: 1600 shallow tires/soft suspension

Here’s a guy who’s come a heck of a long way with his track making. In days gone by he manufactured tracks using the ‘ole assembly line technique, slapping his work together with Elmer’s Glue, paperclips, and those little twisty ties lol. However, as expected, with a little direction, feedback, and technical information, he’s become quite a track maker. Heck I’m even going to go so far as to say I’m proud of the guy! I vividly recall running a number of his tracks after they had been released and grinding my teeth thinking, Cr@$h, Cr@$h, Cr@$h--if only you’d take the time to make use of the Beta Test Room here at MTMG …”.

Speaking of beta testing, allow me to do my soapbox thing here for just a few and maybe clear up a misconception or two. Beta testing in and of itself doesn’t guarantee that a track will be…well, a good track. Two things are crucial to the process: first, find competent beta testers lol. Yes, I know it seems like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised at how many track makers have let their teammates, local buddies or 8-yr-old little sister give their track a spin or two under the guise of “beta testing” lol. As you might imagine lots of things are missed and the start of good ideas go woefully undeveloped. The second critical factor involves the track maker. Even if a track maker has knowledgeable testers, if the provided info/feedback isn’t put to use by correcting flawed aspects of the track and expanding upon the suggestions/ideas the testers present by formulating some ideas of your own, it amounts to little more than wasted time where everyone is concerned. I’m not saying every idea or suggestion has to be implemented; that’s outside the boundaries and scope of testing. Again (and for emphasis), what’s important is that track makers consider the information provided, correct blatant errors, implement the ideas/suggestions that fit into the framework of their goal(s), and throw out the rest. It’s that simple. My man Cr@$h is a regular in the beta room now (actually, he’s there so much we’re thinking about setting up an office for him lol), and he’s doing quite well, and using the exact same process I just described when constructing his tracks. Ok, enough about rooms, testing, feedback and all of this other malarkey; let’s talk about Cr@$h’s track!

It’s called “World Grand Prix 1 (Catfish International Speedway)”, and according to Cr@$h, this is the first of a 6-track series he plans to make. In fact, the 2nd track is already under construction, and we’re currently hashing out all of the particulars in the beta room. Unless he throws in a change-up, the entire track series will pretty much look the same, the variable being the layout, of course. One of the first characteristics that jump out at you on World GP 1 is its wide lanes that will easily accommodate a group of 4-5 racers. The racing surface is completely flat and lap times, if you haven’t noticed at the top, will be in the :40s. This track isn’t much of a challenge offline running solo. Also, the computer trucks won’t offer you much of a challenge unless you’re a beginner, but they can run the course. They’re not especially fond of that tight hairpin turn at the end, but that’s understandable. On the other hand, if you throw this baby into multiplayer mode with a few friends, you’ve got yourself an instant party lol. The close-quarters racing and all the extra banging and bumping that goes along with it is an absolute blast! I’ve mentioned it already, but the critical juncture on WGP-01 that mean, vicious little hairpin turn Cr@$h threw in just before the end of the course. That’s where 85-90 percent of the lead changes will take place as racers try to minimize their sliding through that turn with hopes of recovering fast enough to gain an edge. It can get pretty ugly there too, as you might imagine—trucks flying all over the place lol.

The look of this track is simple, modestly decorated and very well balanced where model placement is concerned. He didn’t overdue it by trying to cram a bunch of stuff in it that didn’t fit or didn’t belong. He stayed within the boundaries of his theme, and it definitely paid off. In my book Cr@$h gets bonus points for being one of 2003’s success stories—a former factory line track maker who is well on his way to being a seasoned pro. It has nothing to do with the number of tracks he’s churned out (33 to date), but rather the “kind” of tracks he’s making today. With that said, World GP 1 garned a Copey Rating of 8.75 out of 10 possible points! It could very well be that we have a Jr. Winterkill, miniature Malibu350 or little Phineus in the making. Interesting visuals there…but I’ll leave that one alone before I get tossed outta here lol.

Well done, Cr@$h!! It’s been a sincere pleasure working with you on your tracks, partner. I’m definitely looking forward to your future projects – everyone one of them! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:30 pm 

Thanks Cope! OK now when I get my office, don't come to the water cooler or the tweezers will come out.

On the topic of my next works, Cope will love my 3rd track. I will now reveal a bit about it. The name is the bit Cope will like: Copey's Mount. It is a street track set in the Swiss Alps. It will be snowy and will have a valley.

As I said in the Beta Room, I would like to see video of 4-5 racers battling a few laps of Catfish. You seemed to get the 'hint' about the review.

Anyway, I'm glad that it became popular and for you GP track lovers, there's more where that came from!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:44 pm 
Trackologist

Quote:
It is a street track set in the Swiss Alps. It will be snowy and will have a valley.

Sounds like I should break out my boots for that one lol. "Copey's Mount", huh? LOLOL...well ok, man. I guess you don't want that track to be popular lol. Actually I thought your next project was going to be "the mighty Nordschleife". You briefly spoke of it in the beta room, and it sounded pretty interesting. :) In all seriousness, I truly appreciate the gesture, bud...but surely there are more worthwhile projects you could pursue with your time...like the mighty Nordschleife for instance! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:53 pm 
Glow Ball

> Copey's Mount ... will be snowy and will have a valley.

That sure's some description of the warden, lol.

Keep up the fine work, Cr@$hC@rt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:21 pm 
Trackologist

LOLOL that's sick. Course, not many ppl will "get it"...and maybe that's a good thing lol.