MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

Post subject: Acropolis
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:57 am 

i wish there had been a topic made out of this... acropolis. this looks like evo2's Mediterranean. i downloaded it but havent tested it yet. i like seeing conversions like this. good job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:09 am 

It's a short circuit (0:54 to 1:00 min lap) very little room for bypass maneuvers. Yet, it's a darn nice track. Objects properties are set right on so you can really shave/drive real close to anything along the path. And let me tell ya, there is plenty laying around. Driving on this give you a great sence of speeding. Overall, It's a piece of art. Beautiful scenery and great layout. Perfect to race offline or in very small groups of 3 players and below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:19 pm 

too bad theres no scripting in mtm2 to make the pillars fall when passing by like evo2. doesnt really matter anyway, since it doesnt affect the race in evo2. a lot of these conversions actually are a bit funner in mtm2 than evo1 & 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:13 pm 
Trackologist

Hehe MTM on the whole is more fun than EVO in my humble opinion. :) My son (9-yr old) likes EVO better, but since he's a kid I'm cutting him a break lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:22 pm 
Glow Ball

MTM2 has it hands down from A to Z over evo. And here's proof, as if any was needed.

http://cownap.com/~mtmg/contests/expo2003/tracks.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:30 pm 

Its definately no contest.

Before I owned evo2 I tried Mal's conversion Buzzard Country not even knowing it was a conversion. I tried the evo counterpart and said "This one is boring compared to Mal's"

I think the proof is in this site, and the ability of the community to survive.

I don't even play evo, its just great for the conversions, the textures looking better in Mtm, and other works by some old mtmer's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:29 pm 

i still like evo2 for its realistic physics (not counting the unrealistic rockcrawling).

i think there should be contests like this for evo2. it all depends on who is willing to set them up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:08 pm 
The Dog House

I look at the link next 2 the name Socrates, hard 2 believe this is your first track, man thats nice work, great job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:22 pm 

>>I look at the link next 2 the name Socrates, hard 2 believe this is your first track

Some others by Socrates

Also this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:30 pm 
Glow Ball

What, no <a href="http://mtm2.com/~tracks/tracks.cgi?s=Uncle+Jed">Hillbillies</a> or <a href="http://mtm2.com/~tracks/tracks.cgi?s=Marquis+de+Sade">Royalty</a>? Trouble with this stuff is I can't remember how many other first time makers there are ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:38 pm 
The Dog House

I missing something here, do we have other names 4 some folks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:22 pm 

[:-)] I couldn't remember all the different names. I just linked the ones that I could remember at that time.

Charles, more recent tracks by Phin have been given random different names. If you click on some they say _____'s homepage is mtm2.com, rhinoseros.com, cownap.com, ect. Thats one way to spot a Phin creation.

At times it will not be recognizable until it is said somewhere in the forums. I missed Smoke and Mirrors completely until I read the thread.

In other words, Phin made Acropolis. Its all in good fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:02 am 
The Dog House

Kdawg, Id call Phin a name, but now i find, it could be right. {LOL} Just funning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:11 am 

For some reason this discussion went astray from the initial topic, so let's get back to track talk.

Acropolis is a little jewel. The artwork is great, the collision properties of the objects are set such that what you see is what you get. It is a relatively narrow and quite challenging track.

Quote:
Perfect to race offline or in very small groups of 3 players and below

In a lag-free environment (LAN) racing works well even in larger groups, provided the racers' level is not too spread (otherwise lapping becomes a problem). Racing will be of the kind "observe and wait for the opportunity to pass, put the opponent under psychological pressure, knock on his rear bumper, etc"

Another drivers' track by a talented newcomer, lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:41 pm 

if you havent read yet, rock, the name is one of phineus's other aliases, and this is an evo2mtm2 conversion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:58 pm 
Trackologist

Actually methinks you're the one that kinda missed the point, Tyler lol. Rocket is very aware of who Socrates is, which is pretty much why he threw in that last line, capping off the sarcasm with the "lol"

As for the track itself, hats off to my man Rocket, because he was right on target with his, "it's definitely is a racer's track" observation. Furthermore, it's not one you'll be nailing down :55 laps after 5 laps...let alone 10. Like Rocket said, you have to be opportunistic about passing, but you'll probably fair better giving the track your undivided attention and not worry about the person behind you. Like virtually all of the conversion tracks, they're great fun to run with a few friends or solo. I say solo because they're pretty challenging, and although part of the challenge stems from the narrow passage ways, more often than not there's at least one section of the track you have to learn in order to run decent laps. In this case it's the section (here) en route to checkpoint five. Phin took a slight creative detour from EVO 4X4's Meditteranean by opening up the section outlined in red shown here. By doing that racers now have options - three to be exact. They can (1) go left and follow the road thru the underpassage, (2) take the very risky straight shot by jumping over the fallen column piece landing just inside the opening on the left and proceeding on thru checkpoint five (as shown here), or (3) go to the right, slightly detouring from the road and taking the opening on the right. Also, you have to let off the gas about midway across the bridge so that you don't catch too much air at liftoff. If not, you'll get an upclose and personal like view of the side of that bridge lol. Truthfully the entire section is pretty hazardous to your health lol, but still, the beauty in it is he had the foresight to make the adjustment, providing for a much more exciting racing experience.

The model work, textures and other little subtleties Phin put into place are topnotch, which is to be expected, of course. If you like challenging tracks, especially those with a dang impressive view, this one's for you.

Like Phin I'm taking a detour and wrapping this one up here. Yes, yes - I know you'd love to hear my thoughts and theories about Socrates and how he and Phin are in many ways the same person lol. Unfortunately I don't have time for that. Instead I'll leave you with a statement by the author on this track:

Quote:
The complaint will be that it's too narrow for online competitive racing. I know that.

He's wrong, but it's not something he'll admit to; he views such a thing as an admission of weakness lol. This is a great track that's probably best suited for one-on-one affairs, but by no means is it too narrow for compative online racing. At any rate the Copey Rating for "Acropolis" is a rock-solid "10" out of 10 possible points! Great work, Phin...and it sure was nice of that Socrates guy to help out lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:36 pm 

lol sorry for not getting the point. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:04 am 

Quote:
In a lag-free environment (LAN) racing works well even in larger groups, provided the racers' level is not too spread (otherwise lapping becomes a problem).

Dont get me wrong, the track work very well in larger group. But with the general online racer attitude where many are not discipline enough. You're likely to get many accidents. What i mean is in large group you're likely to have players from different levels of experience and many will try to hold their ideal line regardless of how other are positioned beside them. When you start in the middle of a large pack, you have very little lattitude to brake or hold to let them pass and wait for an opportunity. If you do, you'll get bumped from the rear and any lagkick is likely to spead and affect a few players.

This is not a complaint about the track, it's rather just my observation of how it goes in large group. Not in theory, it's my observation on how it is really happening.

On smaller group such as one on one as Cope stated. Especially if you're match with another equally skilled player. You're gonna have a blast and yes i totaly agree with the Copey rating for a solid 10 out of 10 pts.