MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 pm

Post subject: Monstruck city
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:04 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

Hi guys ! Check out my last ultra-city chilean not mexican project Monstruck City.
please Tell me what you think about it

because it is my best city-race creation! I think...... :?

Well.........

I hope ya enjoy it :)
http://www.mtm2.com/~tracks/dl.cgi?dl=4231

Gotta go! :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:10 pm 
You Gonna Eat That?

It's almost 9MB's, what's the deal?

The dial up users aren't going to give this one a second thought. I'd see if you can podzip it, or get it down to about half that, I'm no expert, but this can't be right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:26 pm 
Glow Ball

Fuel by Metallica 5.4 megs at 22kHz accounts for half of it, and there's a ton of models and ground boxes. The track actually looks pretty nice, but I haven't run it yet so I can't say about performance.

http://cownap.com/~tracks/trackshot.cgi ... track=4231

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:25 pm 

A shocking revelation from the likes of me.... A review....

What do I have to say about this? Not bad, but it's be better suited as a CNR type track. One major problem I found with this is the lack of strategically placed checkpoints. I've found many large areas that can be skipped under you current layout. Whether this was intentional or not, I do not know, but the checkpoints do seem to be poorly laid out.

Performance wise, this track runs almost flawlessly. There are a few areas in which the frame rate does bog down, mainly due to large vertices models such as Dennis Taft's Bigfoot V replica. All surfaces use their expected types, which is a plus, and the track does run smoothly.

Construction; well done, but it could have been better with more variance in altitude. The track for the most part is flat with few instances of terrain level changes, and only incorporates one jump. Models are laid out well, but could use some additional things to accent them. For instance, there is a raised dump trailer in one portion of the course, but no dirt pile being produced by it.

Music: I don't know about you, but I myself have game music turned off at all times. Also, 5.4 megs as previously mentioned is overkill for any track. Best advice would be to release another version without this song to help encourage more people to download it. Kevin was right in saying that many dial-up users wouldn't think twice about downloading this track as is.

Final note: This can be a fun track to mess around and explore on, but could be improved to become a better rally. It does remind me of the days of past with CNR and the tracks of that sort. This could be a valuable resource in respawning interest for it. Also, you may want to watch the vertice limit on the models you do insert. It would be advised that you not exceed 1000 vertices for any model.

As a side note, there is one thing I can't stress more than anything. Always, and I mean ALWAYS, include a read-me when using models of another author's making. It will save you from trouble and bad feelings about you down the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:34 pm 

the lesser the size, the lesser the quality of the track, i say. i havent tried this track yet, but i figure from it being over 8 mbs, that it has to be worth it. but ive never seen an 8 mb track for mtm2 before... thats usually the size for a very complex evo2 track. probably the music thing. perhaps the size would decrease greatly without a music file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:52 pm 

OMG!!!! this track has lag that is totally FUBAR!!! i was getting at least 2 fps on this one, and im running a powerful GeForce 5200 FX. i was getting like 10 times less fps with normal settings than i do with Anti Aliasing and Anisitropic Filtering turned all the way up. something is seriously wrong with this track. =\

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:48 pm 
Glow Ball

There is nothing wrong with this track. Jon describes it perfectly.

<table align=center width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0"><tr><td class="quote"> Performance wise, this track runs almost flawlessly. There are a few areas in which the frame rate does bog down, mainly due to large vertices models
</td></tr></table>

Furthermore, the size of the download is no indication of anything. Get it through your head man, it's a large music file. That's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:27 pm 

Phineus wrote:
There is nothing wrong with this track. Jon describes it perfectly.

<table align=center width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0"><tr><td class="quote"> Performance wise, this track runs almost flawlessly. There are a few areas in which the frame rate does bog down, mainly due to large vertices models
</td></tr></table>

Furthermore, the size of the download is no indication of anything. Get it through your head man, it's a large music file. That's all.

Good music file at that ^o^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:20 pm 

I just ran the track, and it is laggy for me also. Other than that, it seems ok. I also have music turned off. It wouldn't hurt to drop the tunes. But that's your call Kmaster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:40 pm 

i have music turned off... doesnt help. its the worse lag experience in ANY game ive played. its weird why it happens to just me and scatter and no one else. maybe its my processor, because my processor has been known to go slow, but i doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:05 am 
Glow Ball

Nobody said it didn't lag. What I said was there's nothing wrong with it. And furthermore, saying it's the worst track you've ever run is not helpful at all. This guy, who doesn't happen to read, write or speak english, has poured a ton of work into this track. For you to come in here and just trash it like it's diseased or something contributes nothing to this fella's understanding of track making, racing or gaming. I don't care what happens in other gaming communities, I really could care less, but around here we keep things constructive. If there are problems, then we communicate what they are and how to fix them. We want each track a person makes to be a little better than the one that came before. That can't happen if all you do is *beep* about it. And it can't happen if you misconfigure your computer and graphics card. And it can't happen if you can't tell the difference between mtm2 and evo.

Kmaster,

Please don't allow this chatter to distract you. JBrossack has pointed out the strengths and weakness of your track. Please read over what he's said and try to make adjustments for your next project. I think you've done a very good job, and your tribute to the people around here is most laudable (thank you), but there's still room for improvement. And, by all means, please keep it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:18 am 

This tracks sweet. I ran it a few times (.And crashed into rep fans garage a few times) I like it. Its ideal for driving around, hey maybe if i feel proactive ill start parctising for my lerners exam...Again.
Good job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:41 pm 

i didnt say its the worse track, i said it was the worse lag. but dont worry, i fixed it. turns out all i had to do was turn the map off, then turn it off again. not sure why that was the problem. but it ran smoothly after i did it.

this track actually has an awesome layout, but i do think there needs to be more checkpoints, and some parts of the map are a little off. other than that, the layout is awesome, very pretty :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:07 pm 

Phin, I'm sorry if I offended you and Kmaster. You have my sincerest apologies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:27 pm 
Trackologist

SCAT, I'm fairly sure you didn't offend anyone. Your comments were succinct and to the point - objective.

I'm currently in the process of taking a few screenshots of this one to compliment the fine review JBrossack wrote, but if I may interject a couple of tips for Mr. Wysocki...

You are correct; Phin didn't quote you directly, but the point you failed to acknowledge is the purpose of this forum is to help, inform, enlighten, and in some cases moderately entertain. Your comments where way out of line - period. Your attempt to backpedal by restating what was already pointed out with respect to the checkpoints is all too transparent. Methinks (1) an outright apology to KMaster would have been infinitely more appropriate, and (2) the next time you're inspired to make comments in here...try employing a little brainpower before you type.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:45 pm 
Glow Ball

SCAT, I'm confident that offense is not the point at all. Reporting your findings is exactly what the forum is about, and nobody should ever need to apologize for that. Your gesture and good will are noted. Thanks.

However, I took exception to Tyler's editorializing and the spread of misinformation. The forum is here to help people (a) know what they're downloading, and (b) become better builders, and (c) to do it in a user friendly, if not sociably friendly, environment. I spoke with Tyler privately and I hope he understands the aims and objectives of the forum better now than he did before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:08 pm 

Compare to COPE and sometime my own comment Scat sound like a gentleman. i didn't see anything offending in there either.