MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:59 am 
Trackologist

Just got done reading this, and first of all excellent review, Phin - pretty dang thorough, which is so out of character for you lol.

To kind of jump on the bandwagon a bit, by all means guys avoid the factory line syndrome at all cost. After reading the responses I kinda got the feeling that Phin's/RepFan's advice where taking your time fell on deaf ears. Yes, it's good that you're fixing your tracks, but I personally feel that what's done is done; move on, but more importantly step back, read and learn a little more, then start anew but s-l-o-w-l-y this time. And if you do make use of the beta room (which is a great approach, by the way) please don't just throw something together, toss it in the beta room and basically say "tell me what's wrong with it". Here's how the process works. Yep, it's a lot to read, but please take the time to do so. If your goal is to make tracks that 1) you're proud of and 2) enjoyed by the MTM community, then this is the way to do it.

Quote:
I think the difference between and good track and bad track should be PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

To some degree that's true, xtrackted, but at the same time these tracks (and many other tracks by newcomers) have definite errors/flaws that are not a matter of personal preference or interpretation; they're flawed -period. The point that's being stressed is to learn the basic ins and outs of track making first, and then you can tailor your tracks in a manner that suites you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:24 pm 

Yeah, i guess Alt. bias makes a big difference. Personally, I like tracks that have a little darkness to them, and you can give the objects and terrain a little shadow if you wanna keep the sun at an angle.

Also, start making tracks just for yourself, not for download... you'll find that it gives you self-learned knowledge and experience. THEN, maybe you can fix them up later and upload them anyway!

[;)] xtrackted out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:27 pm 

Ahhh, COPE, I was just reading that line myself, and it's confusing....

It's my OPINION that the difference between good tracks and bad tracks <b><u>SHOULD</u></b> be a matter of preference.

Really, if I were in charge of this site, MAYBE 12 or 13 of these tracks would make it to the d/l page... I'd even take out tracks that were perfect, just because they were boring! lol

Unfortunately, errors ARE present in even OK'ed tracks. Even in my tracks, that I spend hours making sure each little tree is on the ground, or not creating what I call a 'X-ray vision' effect in other objects.

Grim... TIME. CARE, more importantly. If you care about your track enough, most things will fall in place. All the crap on the tutorials might even come to you naturally.

Sorry for the confusion. [;)]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:49 pm 
Glow Ball

xtrackted wrote:
It's my OPINION that the difference between good tracks and bad tracks <b><u>SHOULD</u></b> be a matter of preference.

If you like circuits better than rallies, that's your preference. It's all well and good. If you like wide lanes better than big jumps, that's your preference too. And it's still good. But running into invisible barriers or lighting that's so dark you can't see, that has nothing to do with preference. Those are flaws and faults that need to be pointed out to new makers, and fixed by more experienced makers. If a truck cannot make it up a hill because you cannot scale the angle of approach, or your truck gets stuck in the bottom of a hole so that even the helicopter cannot be called, that too has nothing to do with preference. Preference is the wrong word. If you want to make drag tracks because that's what you like, then fine. But there are still good and bad drag tracks. A mismatched seam will not turn a good track into a bad one, but seamless tiles can turn a good track into a masterpiece. That too is not perference. There is such a thing as an objective criteria. If grim or anybody else is content with the quality of work being discussed here, then that's fine too. But don't expect to be lauded for it. It won't happen. And that too, is not opinion or perference. We do not remove tracks for this very reason. People have their fun, and it comes in all sorts of shapes and sizes. That's what we encourage. At the same time, tips and pointers about making better tracks seldom hurts anybody, and when they see the work they're capable of producing, then that usually, in all the cases I've seen, adds to the fun.

Post subject: Tracks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:19 pm 

Thanks, Phinny, and Xtracked, and even Slo_Cope. But there is another problem I need for Escape the Graveyard, I put animated water textures really fast for a waterfall, and now all over the track is water.Please help! :x :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:26 pm 
Glow Ball

I have to see that for myself before I can offer any suggestions. I haven't seen that problem before.

Post subject: Track
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:49 pm 

Well, I just have to show ya
phinny, should I upload it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:47 pm 

i think hes talking about the complex truck thing that causes track flooding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:05 pm 
alright... trying to explain this as best i can... it's getting ridiculous.

to rephrase what i mean... THE PERFECT MTM2 SITE FOR ME WOULD BE ONE IN WHICH THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOOD AND BAD TRACKS IS ONLY A MATTER OF PREFERENCE... lol

I'm saying the kind of quality I'd LIKE to see on track sites should allow only for distaste... and I'm willing to go further and say that even tracks WITHOUT any flaws might be so poor in realism or quality that THEY shouldn't be OK'ed for downloads, either...

I'm not at ALL saying that's how it really is... it's hard to follow me, so please, use some imagination when you read my posts. :P

Again, sorry for the confusion in my words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:13 pm 
easy company

Quote:
THE PERFECT MTM2 SITE FOR ME WOULD BE ONE IN WHICH THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOOD AND BAD TRACKS IS ONLY A MATTER OF PREFERENCE... lol

Then my friend you've found such a place here at mtm2.com :o)

Short of outright plagiarism's everything mtm2 is here, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Post subject: Tracks by Grim2004 and Falco_Lombardi
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:11 am 

Freaky Forest, I'll have to see what I can do about it, it's just it might be hard to fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:24 am 

- For the animated textures, my water textures, are taking over the ground, the grass turns from grass to water. Please help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:49 am 
Glow Ball

You have been told a dozen times already to upload the pod and txx as beta so we can see what you're talking about. If you don't do that, then there's nothing anybody can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:38 am 
easy company

I think I know what it might be.

Grim, open up your textures box in traxx and left mouse click once on each texture that is changing on the track, if you see a number (1, 2, 3 etc.) appear in the upper left corner of others then stop, hit the film icon right next to the broom on the texture box and hit "Un-Animate" then "OK", that should fix the problem... if not, then do as Phin says and upload the pod and txx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:46 pm 

Sorry, Phin, I will get around to it.
And I will see if your solution works,Mal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:02 am 

How can I fix up Freaky Forest , Do some parts over again?