MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:35 pm

Post subject: Mayan Empire by Devil Doll
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 4:59 pm 
hey, its me again, this track is much better than my other one, the ai kinda screws up at one place, i tried to make the inside of the temple all overgrown and ancient looking, i think this track is worth a try Image peace out, devildoll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 5:07 pm 
oops i did it *wait*, i need a different start, oops i screwed up again, there we go, i hope i dont have that stupid song in your head, well this is a rally, not a circuit, i really need to watch that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2000 4:28 pm 
does this mean you dont like my track?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2000 5:40 pm 

Hey Devildoll... register on here and you can edit your posts.... looks much cooler than sending a bunch of them! I'l D/l this one and let you know what I think. I'm assuming it's up at KC's huh?

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

[This message has been edited by EmceeMart (edited 14-08-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 2:25 am 

hey, thats a good idea! thnx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 4:04 am 

Yes, my site uses this forum on MTMG.
Other than an odd post here and there, all these reviews were created from, and linked from, KC's MTM place.

With the new updates to the site,
we do a review process now.
The point is to keep unfinished tracks from being listed on the main sort.

And giving them a review so we know what it's about.

When a "helper" tries it and deemes it OK, or enough reviews here say it is OK, it is moved to main.

So, is this a finished track?

KC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 2:58 pm 

is it a good track? ill work on it more if i get some "constucive critasism" in here, i dont have any idea what else there is to do to it! unless someone has something i need to fix then ya, i think its a finished track, so KC, how do ya like it? im hopeing to make some more, now that i installed mtm2 again Image

[This message has been edited by -devil-doll- (edited 11-08-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 4:52 pm 

Well it's hard to say DD, I couldn't locate it at KC's place - care to let me know where I can download it from? Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2000 4:36 am 

its under beta/new tracks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2000 9:18 am 

I added a new function to the Tracks page today.

When you begin a review, you now also have the option to cut and paste this to your review:

Get this track at KC's MTM Place
http://mtmra.com/vales/mainTracksMTM.asp?inputDisplay=5&search=Myan Empire

For more details, jump up to the main Tracks Talk listing and look for my post about Direct Linking.

KC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2000 4:35 am 

DevDoll... excuse me for not getting back to you quicker on this one... been having major 'pute probs... but anyhow here's my impressions of this track:
It's a competent effort and fun. Reminded me a little of some of the entries for the MTMG Straight Away Competition.... some great straights with lots of variations and a few surprises. You would have been a worthy contender with any one of 3 straight sections of this track.
Overall though, as a "course" I didn't think it worked too well Image. Due to the sometimes EXTREME altitude changes (especially when you are trying to negotiate a corner). I found it hard to stay on the track at times. I am unable to comment on the texture work right now but it looked adequate. The computer trucks kinda gave up after the 3rd or 4th corner - that can be fixed. There is one section where you have to make a leap onto a bridge/platform which I just could not manage, and gave up after the 3rd attempt. Please don't let this discourage you though - I found the "straights" fun and full of potential, you seem to have a knack for getting the "take offs" and "landings" just right. I would suggest for your next track to make the corners/turnings less of a challenge but keep all the elements you have in you straight sections. You obviously like the "big-air" type jumps (and so do I) but IMO they should only be incorporated 2,3 or 4 times in a track of this type... for theses reasons:
1: They should not be a surprise
2: They should be negotiable (i.e. not impossible to land)
3: They should have a purpose (i.e unfinished bridge, construction work, earthquake damage etc..)
The course layout, model placement, groundbox work and textures are all first class... this is a track worth "tweaking" big-time. One of my favorite all-time tracks is Zoon's Climber and this track has the potential to rival that with more work put into it.... My final word of advice would be "don't make a new track, work on this one - it's a winner."

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2000 11:45 pm 
Glow Ball

Wouldn't download, sorry =( Gives a 404 error suggesting that there may be a space in the zip file name.

edit. okay okay, I had to get it the hard way but I got it.

Reminder. No spaces in zip file names please (and prolly best none in the pod file name either).

I agree with much of what mc says. I'd like to place extra emphasis on the terrain work. Have you seen this page ? Items one and six are particularly relavent here. Some terrain transitions are really abrupt, 'specially on those big hills, and tho most corners are very good some could benefit from a bit of hand tweaking.

Oh, in the tunnel the ground boxes extend too far below the terrain - you can see under them at the water lines. Easy fix, just raise the bottom (ironically enough) to just slightly below the ground level.

This track is still very much beta. Keep at it, it's worth it.

<font size=1>Edited by Phineus (16-02-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2000 3:02 am 

Devildoll,

Just so you know, nobody is picking on you.
This Pre-OK process is new.
There won't be be any "this is a crappy track" and it's deleted stuff with the new process (not that yours is). Any functional track has a home on vales.com.

What it does is keep unfunctioning listings from making the main, and this track is a classic example, a space in the .zip file name.

Other examples are bad .zips, bad textures, or not even a track at all.

It also helps get the review process started so people can see what others say and deceide if they want it before they DL.

Regardless of if you care to listen to some adivce from the pro's that comment here, you will need to re-upload you track so the file can download.

Don't get discouraged, and I'll look for your update Upload.

KC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2000 3:59 am 
Glow Ball

Hmmm, once again, confusion reigns supreme. Seems this track has been uploaded a few times. This one, the one I had trouble downloading, was on the beta page . The other is on the ok'd page(?) (the download works, I hope the link does too). It has a review started here . Note the spelling name change. Despite the location and download problems, the above notes still hold true.

edit: fix'd the link.

------------------
- Phineus

[This message has been edited by Phineus (edited 15-08-2000).]