MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

Post subject: Hello and welcome to last year by Hawk (RT DJ_MP)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:46 am 

I made a stupid mistake in the readme file :shock:

It reads:
.. .. : :: :::[Nostalgia? by Hawk]:::: :: :: : . : ... .

which of course is supposed to be:
.. .. : :: :::[Hello and welcome to last year! by Hawk]:::: :: :: : . : ... .

Sorry. Anyways..

You race on a speedway through some
mountains and small cities.
Nothing revolutionary...

Had this track lying around on my HD
since some time last year (hence the name).
Just finished it today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:58 am 
The Dog House

Big Thanks for sharing it with us man.
Very nice work. Clean and Smooth with
nicely done model placement. It being a
mostly Short Track, that always gets my attention.
Like the track lots. [tu]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:14 pm 
Trackologist

Hehe and I recently posted (somewhere around here) that given the slow down in track production lately it'll give me a chance to do a little catching up by reviewing tracks that may have been overlooked. I guess I'll have to fit 'em in here and there because now it seems as though things are picking up . . . and I'm not complaining either! :)

Good to see ya, DJ - it's been a while, man. I'll get around to this one right after I've finished up my review on ONaN's new one. Course, I suppose I should mention that I have to trim a few shrubs, mow the front yard (got the back yesterday), lay down more fertilizer, work on my son's treehouse, wash the wife's car . . . and some other stuff I'm sure, so it'll probably take me a day or so before I actually start lol. Anyway, nice to have ya back on the scene. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:18 pm 

wow! this has to be the most realistic race i've seen! the only problem i had was right before checkpoint 9... there's a sharp turn and a hillside. you have to slow quite down before making that turn, or else you'll hit the hillside! i think it would have helped if you made the road textures "concrete".

i'm really concidering making this an evo2 track, if that's alright with you... i would just need the road textures rotated in all directions and sent to me at tjwys@comcast.net ... i suppose you can send me the original tga files if you still have them. if not, then send all the act's and raw's in a zip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:11 pm 
Trackologist

Replay of Shortcuts 1 & 2
• Garage Settings: 1400 med tires/soft suspension
• Fast Lap to date: 1:29.23 by SLO_COPE

It’s been a while since we’ve seen RT DJ_MP (one day he’s going to have to tell us what all those dang letters mean lol). I’m not sure what inspired him to return, but if it’s something he’s drinking, I hope he has a lot of it on hand, especially if it’s the primary ingredient to him cranking out tracks like “Hello, and Welcome to Last Year” – his new release. It’s been nearly a year since he completed his last track (Nostalgia?, which is excellent, by the way), and I’m not sure what inspired him to release this one, but it doesn’t matter; he did. Hehe It'd make for a dramatic story if I could report that he woke up in a cold sweat one night after a dream he had about MTM 2, wandered into his backyard armed with only a flashlight and shovel, dug up his track making tools, then sat for hours, hammering it out this track, pausing only to use the restroom and nibble on crackers he stole from a field mouse several days ago lol. It didn’t happen that way . . . at least, I don’t think it did. I’m sure things transpired just as he said - this track had been camped out on his hard drive for some time, and although I have no clue as to how much work he had to put into it to get it ready for release, that doesn't matter either. Again, what’s important is that it's here, and boy o' boy is it ready!

You race on a speedway through some
mountains and small cities.
Nothing revolutionary...

Those are RT’s words describing “Hello, and Welcome to Last Year”. Is it just me or does he sound a bit bored . . . or maybe just tired lol. What I do know is that he grossly underrated his work. Truth be told, he's right actually; there's nothing special about "Hello, Welcome to Last Year", but the layout, coupled with his excellent choice of models, as well as the way he used them make this an exceptionally nice (and nice looking) track. He opted to go retro, borrowing the texture sets from Sir James’ Popcorn (4n1), and it works . . . quite well in fact. I'd also go so far to say that this is a pro level track. It's a touch slippery, and if you're driving it right, you'll let off your gas just as many times as you'll gun it. The reason for that is to maintain control through the turns, which you’ll find aren't very forgiving. Approach them with a John Wayne attitude, and you'll be digging yourself out of a hill lol. One person commented that maybe he should have set the road textures to concrete (cement I'm guessing) because the severe angle of the corner, combined with the slippery road makes it tough to execute the turn through checkpoint 9. There are two things to keep in mind when driving on slippery roads: know when to let off the gas and start your turns early. This track happens to require that particular technique on several occasions, but if you like racing, it’s one you’ll want to learn because there are quite a few tracks out there without great traction. The replay (hwtly_short2.rpl) shows how to make the turn through checkpoint 9.

“Hello, and Welcome to Last Year” has two shortcuts. I’m not sure if the second is actually faster, but I’m almost certain it can give you the advantage of position (if executed cleanly) over those who take the conventional route. This track wouldn’t record an entire lap, so I made two replays to illustrate the shortcuts. Both are fairly easy to spot, but landing the first is another story entirely. Oh I’m sure people will shoot wide to the left, wide right, or slam into the checkpoint a few times before they get a feel for it, and that’s to be expected. Again, it looks pretty routine, but uh . . . no lol. If a track is going to have shortcuts, I prefer ones you have to work for, take a risk for. Hey, if you’re going to be rewarded with an advantage it shouldn’t be handed to you over those who simply don’t know the cut; you should have to prove yourself worthy by “earning” it. If RT did know about both cuts, I for one don’t object to him leaving them in. Make no mistake this is a finesse track – period. Yes, the layout is simple, and it has respectable speed overall, but if you bring up the map at the start line and think “Oh this should be cake”, you’ll be in for quite a surprise. It’s going to take you a few laps just to get the hang of this track, but to me that’s what makes it so much fun to drive – even by yourself.

As far as flaws/blemishes are concerned, you’ll find a few seams here and there, but as I mentioned earlier, the texture sets are by Sir James, and although they’re extremely nice, they’re certainly not perfect. But so what – when you put tracks together like this, who’s going to complain about a few seams here and there? The layout and design are superb, the attention to detail (no floaters, “righteous” collision properties, etc.) is excellent, and I even like how if you get off-road in certain areas, try to cut a corner, the roughness of the terrain will make you pay. The way he did it is subtle, understated even, but very effective.

I’m not going to say this is RT’s best effort to date; that’s up to interpretation, preference, and probably considerable debate. However, I very much like this one, and it is indeed my favorite of the 20 tracks he’s made, and this guy has put out some very good work. As for the Copey Rating, it’s a no-brainer: this one’s a grand slam in my opinion – 10!

Very nice work, RT – excellent job, bud. All I can say is I hope you don’t wait another year before showing up again lol.

P.S. I fixed the readme.txt for ya. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:59 pm 

@all

Thanks for the feedback guys :) and thanks for fixing the readme SLO_COPE [;)]

Yeah, hopefully it won't be a year until my next release, hehe..

And as for the letters in my nick, haha, I'm never gonna tell you, basically cause there nothing to tell [;)]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:51 pm 

Well, I finally downloaded this track today. I knew it would be a nice one when I saw some pictures before downloading. This track will be one of my favorites. Nice job DJ!

I havent watched Cope's replay movie so I could found out the cuts myself. The first one is actually cool. The track is nice and road is smooth. I love those textures and also nice models.

I really like this kind of races except for the city, but I never liked racing between walls hehe, however I really enjoyed it. Also the track is challenging when hunting for a good time by taking some corners inside. At the perfect points a bump can sent you off-road :)
This track is small but has so much variety, cause of the layout with chosen heights but also cause of the nice textures and modelling, it will never get boring.

[tu] [tu]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:34 pm 

RT DJ_MP wrote:
@all

Thanks for the feedback guys :) and thanks for fixing the readme SLO_COPE [;)]

Yeah, hopefully it won't be a year until my next release, hehe..

And as for the letters in my nick, haha, I'm never gonna tell you, basically cause there nothing to tell [;)]

you havent answered my question yet [;)]

can i convert this track? if so, email me all the road textures in all rotations, since tracked can't rotate tiles. read my post up there ^^^

i really like this track!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:13 pm 

@Tyler Wysocki

Feel free to rotate them yourself ;)