It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

Post subject: Old Snowy Top by SLO_HotShoe
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:11 pm 
Trackologist

• Garage Settings:
-- Racing: 1500 med tires/soft suspension
-- Blocking: 1100 med tires/soft suspension
• Fast Lap to date: 1:33.87 by SLO_HotShoe

SLO_HotShoe’s newest release is called “Old Snowy Top”, a track he’s dedicated to a member of our team. That person is none other than SLO_PaPa, and he’s one of the coolest guys you’d ever want to meet. By his own admission PaPa is anything but a speed demon on the tracks. You won’t find any Hall of Fame records with his name on it, he’s not the holder of any tournament titles, and he seldom wins a race when we all get together for a night on the tracks. However . . . when it comes to RnR, he transforms into a die-hard competitor, a mauler of men, devourer of women, and children (actually not, but I needed something after “mauler of men” lol), a fierce warrior who has the words, “Give me RnR or give me death!” embroidered on his bathrobe. Anyway, you get the idea lol.

Speaking of RnR, “Old Snowy Top” was made specifically for that particular format, and was dedicated to PaPa based mostly on the friendship they share, but also because the guy loves RnR. I’ll go out on a limb and say that PaPa’s reasons for liking RnR are probably on par with mine, which are:
(1) Teamwork – being fast on the tracks doesn’t mean you’ll be good at RnR. Likewise, just because you’re nickname is ‘Bonecrusher’ or ‘Bruiser McGirt’ on the cube doesn’t mean you’ll be an effective blocker when two or three trucks are closing in on you with speeds of 90+ mph. It’s all about teamwork and using the entire track effectively.
(2) Extremely unpredictable – huge leads at the start mean absolutely nothing. Conversely, being dead last and a ½-lap behind on the 5th lap of an 8-lap race doesn’t equate to a lost cause. I’ve seen incredible comebacks with last minute victories by teams who looked to be totally out of it. Awesome, awesome stuff!
(3) Excitement from start to finish – I’m a racer, and I love conventional, straight-up racing, but there’s nothing like RnR. If you try it, you’ll know what I mean. ;)

Just as there are different types of circuits and rallies, there are various types of RnR tracks. Some are ‘blocker oriented’ while others can be more advantageous to the racer. In general, a good RnR track has limits with respect to certain characteristics. For example, blockers are free-roamers, therefore the track has to be open, with a minimum of obstacles impeding their path across the track. Severe elevation changes should be avoided as well. Blockers shouldn’t have to scale the side of a 150ft mountain just to get to a racer lol. At the same time blockers shouldn’t expect a cake walk while transitioning from checkpoint to checkpoint in search of racers to beat up on either. A few obstacles, and some rough terrain are perfect; it forces blockers to be mindful of “how” they go from point A to point B. Racers, on the other hand, don’t require special provisions of any kind. They too are free to make use of the track as they see fit in order to avoid blockers. The only hitch is that they must pass through all checkpoints.

This track is probably more advantageous to racers, however, I don’t think blockers will complain. Starting with the racers, the roads are wide, and there’s ample room off-road to make adjustments for emergency evasive maneuvers. Blockers have the luxury of trees set to no-collide, as well as built-in passage-ways, as shown here and here. He even went the extra mile and adjusted the water level so that it’s shallow; racers can drive out of it with relative ease.

I’d love to be able to report on some actual races we’ve had on Old Snowy Top, but unfortunately we haven’t gotten around to it yet. It matters not, however, because I’m here to tell ya this is definitely a very good RnR track – I can feel it lol. But hey, if you don’t get the chance to use it for its intended purpose, another really cool thing about this baby is that it’s also great for conventional racing.

As far as I’m concerned Shoe is at the very top of his game, and that’s quite a statement considering ALL the great tracks he’s made. Old Snowy Top personifies excellence in track making, and I’m sure few would disagree. With that in mind, it should come as no surprise that it pegged the meter on the Copey Rating scale, driving in 10 out of 10 possible points!

In closing, all that’s left to be said is he’s not only an incredibly talented track maker, but a great guy as well. Like PaPa (and all the other SLOs for that matter), I too am extremely proud to call him a friend and teammate. A truly masterful piece of workmanship, Shoe – outstanding, bud!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:32 pm 

Old Snowy Top is a treat to the eye as it is to your driving needs and desires. It's a great RNR format track (although not officially tested in RNR yet, the beta testing proved it was going to work greatly) as well as a normal racing track.

The track gives both racers and blockers a way to maneuver around the track, yet it doesn't make things a piece of cake. There are plenty of tough corners and rough terrains the racers will face, and bumps and hills for the blockers to take to get to their next stopping point.

Essentially, as in any RNR track, this one is great with weather set to clear, but add snow and this becomes an even bigger, better challenge for both racers and blockers alike (plus it displays exactly the tracks name, Old "Snowy" Top, lol [;)] ).

The bottom line is, Shoe made an awesome track, for an awesome guy. You deserve it, Papa! :)

©2005 BMW of North America, LLC.
Http://www.bmw.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:48 pm 
The Dog House

Awesome track. Very thing that can be said has been
covered by the gentlemen above. Fun all around. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:12 am 

Another GREAT track by a premier track builder, my good friend & teammate HotShoe. This guy never ceases to amaze & dazzle us with his extraordinary skills in track building. Old Snowy Top is a very nice track dedicated to a very nice person..SLO_PaPa. Everything else has been said by Cope & Bimmer. Great job Shoe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:43 pm 
Trackologist

I'm happy to report that Old Snowy Top is every bit as fun as I imagined it would be. Last night, SLO_PaPa and I were pitted against SLO_HotShoe/SLO_as_MUDDD and SLO_BIMMER_GT/SLO_BADMUDDER. BADMUDDER/BIMMER had an early lead, with HotShoe/MUDDD not too far behind. PaPa caught a lag shot that blew him off the track. He was disoriented for a few minutes (ok he was lost, really lost lol), but regained his sense of direction and proceeded on, however we were waaaay behind. By lap 6 he (PaPa) was within striking distance of MUDDD and BADMUDDER. A few more stops, a lag drag here, and a shove there, and he was right in the thick of things; side-by-side with the other two racers.

Well, we're on the last lap, and with the racers within close proximity of one another, the blockers (Shoe, BIMMER, and myself) had one last shot at giving their guy a clear path to the finish. There was a HUGE pile-up at this point here coming off that jump . . . and as luck would have it, SLO_PaPa emerged virtually unscathed (I did more damage to him than the other blockers lol) and crossed the finish line ahead of the pack!

As I said, this game is so unpredictable often times you don't know who's going to win until the very end. There were several lead changes, and for the most part PaPa and I virtually out of the running . . . but we came back and took it all!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:15 pm 
Glow Ball

>> ok he was lost, really lost lol

LOL

>> but we came back and took it all!!

I wonder if you would've been so eager to give us the blow by blow had the others mopped the terrain with yooz, hehe.

Sounds like a great time on a fun track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:29 pm 
Trackologist

LOL eager? No, but I would have. Heck, we've had our brains bashed in a number of times, but we've also been the "givers" of pain, anguish and frustration beyond the endurance of man. That last bit was a little more dramatic than it needed to be, but so what lol.

Yeah, it was really a heck of a run, and it was our very first time out, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:36 pm 

LOL Phin

Yup, that was one great game! The track was awesome work with, and I gotta say...those blocker passages that COPE showed pictures of really do help a lot!

I'm glad Papa emerged victorious on that race. Who better to win the very first match of a track dedicated to Papa other than the man himself? 8)

Again, awesome track, I highly recommend you check it out for yourself if you already haven't!

©2005 BMW of North America, LLC.
Http://www.bmw.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:30 am 

Thx Guys !! I'm glad ya like it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:28 pm 

I would like to also say, this is an Excellent Track, by one Fine fellow team mate, I love the feel this track has under my tires, it is smoooooth, and the eye candy, what a preety track, very nice Shoe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:18 am 

Well, it's been a while since Cope mentioned to me that this thread was over here. Truth is, I forgot about it. [poke] < Cope did this to me.

However . . . I have to tell you that this track has become one of my favorite RnR tracks . . . nah, make that my very favorite. Now part of the reason might be that I really like the guy who made it and also am a little partial to the guy he dedicated it to.

On the other hand, I would like it even if _________ had made it and dedicated it to . . . oh I don't know, maybe ___________ (fill in the blanks). How's that for a weenie way out?

Yes indeedie, Copester, I do enjoy a good RnR . . . no doubt about that! I especially enjoy when some of you get laughing so hard you can't drive — makes it easier on me!

Anyhow, I'm delighted to be the recipient of a track dedication from the premier track builder in the business. [thanx]

So y'all come on down to one of our friday night RnR's and get "Ready to Ruuuuuuumble!" [memo] We'll be waitin' for ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:47 pm 

Well hmm Sry ya dont like the Name Papa.... NOT!! lol
PaPa is a tough name to make go with a track theme, so I went with the next obvious thing. I thought Old Snowy Top was kinda Cute. Papa Smurf was the only theme that came to mind to use your name in. I can try again if ya like lol. Hmm blue snow shouldn't be hard to do lol :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:20 am 

Ya coulda' gone with a "PaPa John's" theme - racing around on a big pizza pie.

[idea] :arrow: Over the pepperoni, sliding on bubbly cheese, a right past the anchovie, across the bacon bridge over the missing slice, a hard left around the mushroom, through the onion ring CP, down through root beer lake, a run around the outside crust and home to the giant bell pepper start/finish line. [:P]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:11 pm 
easy company

This track is awesome HotShoe, absolutely beautiful.. remarkable job man :o) <center> [cheers] </center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:40 am 

THX Malibu I'am glad you like it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:23 pm 

Quote:
SLO_PaPa, and he’s one of the coolest guys you’d ever want to meet. By his own admission PaPa is anything but a speed demon on the tracks. You won’t find any Hall of Fame records with his name on it,

That's fixed now lol A little late but great track shoe! And well earn tribute Papa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:10 pm 
Trackologist

Like I said, "you won't find any [legitimate] Hall of Fame records with his name on it" lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:49 pm 

WOW Nice Laps Papa !!!! er I mean Jumper good job lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:44 pm 

Quote:
WOW Nice Laps Papa !!!!

And he'S still improving!!! [(-:]