MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

Post subject: Mont C.O.T.W
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:40 am 

Hot off the MTM2 TRAXX press, is another dandy of a track by Malibu350. I have to admit, I've only ran 4 laps on this freshly born track, but let me tell you, the man is a genius! As is the trend lately, not alot of model action here guys. But you won't have time to be looking around for cool models on this number, because this layout will keep you up on your wheel, or keys, or joystick, every step of the way, but yet has a great flow to it. With a define line, and lots of tricky sections. And with hair-raizing jumps that will have you on the edge of your seat. No models needed here, the layout is what makes it! My motto of lately is, if your busy looking at models on a track as you pass by them, your not driving, LOL. Don't get me wrong, I love eye candy as much as the next guy, but the terrain is truely the heart and soul of a great track, and this track is loaded with it! Excellent work Mal, and thanks again for keeping us racers well-fed with your special brand of magic. ;)

Now to disect this track, and turn some laps, lol. I'll have more input later. ;)

EDIT:

This track is a great balance of finesse and momentum. There are times were I spent more time in 2nd gear, as opposed to 3rd gear, as the terrain will tease you sometimes, keeping you hovering around the 4 grand mark, leaving you torn as to should you down-shift, or let it pull through. Making shifting, or not shifting, at the right time, the key to keeping momentum. I tried a 1600, but found it was bogging me a tad. I found 1500 worked better for me, minimizing bog time. But there are areas were your going to be "chugging" a gear, given the nature of the terrain, whether you are in 2nd or 3rd gear. Good lap times seem to be in the 2:50's range. My best so far is a 2:49:88. With lots of room for improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:48 pm 
Glow Ball

Max won't say it, so I will. This is one tough track.

And! Malibu350 is now officially a <a href="http://cownap.com/~mtmg/contests/dec99/tracks.html">Mont Gris alumnist</a>.

http://mtm2.com/~tracks/tracks.cgi?s=mont+c.o.t.w.

Nice work, Mr. Jones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:36 pm 

Quote:
Max won't say it, so I will. This is one tough track.

I did'nt state in my previous post, but yea. This track define's tough, there is no "Easy" section on this course.

And Phin stated in his post, that he must have editied, that you don't want to go too low on gearing, because you will not make the big jump. I tried experimenting with that, and you can still clear the big jump with a 1400 gear. So far, I'm thinking a 1400 gear is the way to go:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/ ... _46_34.jpg

It is VERY hard to get 2 laps to be consistant to one another on this one. And to get these times, I had to think out-side the box, so to speek, and try some tatcits that are very dangerous, and to execute them right, requires picture perfect approaches, and controlling of throttle, and steering, (pretty much semi-controlled chaos. LOL). And it don't always go as planned. But when it does, it can result in some really fast times. I do have a replay of a 2:46:59 comming up.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:48 pm 

tough, great, i love tough tracks, and h8 those long straight smooth ones, give me the hill climbs, and oddly shapped jumps any day, even the 180 degree turns on an uphill bumpy 80 degree slant hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:04 am 
easy company

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it.

One thing I learned early on by hanging out quietly with racers a long time ago is that i'm a mediocre racer at best, also is that the top guns hated easy tracks, they'd for the most part complain of tourney picks as being a waste of their time and testosterone driven ego's. I have nothing bad to say about anyone, it's just the way it was and is why siberia creek and rock ridge are what they are. I never set out to make a track overly difficult by design. I set out to make a track that will be a challenge, a track that will flow, a track that will capture your attention and push you to try and beat it without going too far and be frustrating.
Models and such eye candy stuff in a track I make have always been secondary in importance except when they play into the course and become part of the terrain.

Personally I love high speed wide open tracks such as Alpines Crazy and Muskoka Road by Bert and Scuba... and there's a ton more by Finne ...
Someday soon i'm gonna teach myself how to make something close.

[edit]

> Max = 2:46.34

:o)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:35 am 

i like em frusterating, thats why i like that scream track we played few weeks ago in the SP tourny. though nearly everyone else hated it, i found it exciting and challenging to my skill