MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:34 pm

Post subject: Rating System
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2000 11:22 am 
Ok, this would be really hard, but it is just an idea. I used to play MCM, and the best site (MCM Empire, www.mcmempire.com (I think)) Anyway, the point is it had a really cool rating system where users could reveiw tracks. It was like a message board, actually. The new thing started at KCs is like it, except less efficent. It also had a rating system where you rate the track in five areas (Layout, Jumps and Turns, Fun Factor, and two others, I forget what) After that, you post the reveiw, and it goes up onto a page made just for the track, which has a pic, and the creators comments. Also, there was a page that had all the tracks listed in four ways (Name, Author, Rating, Rating Catergorized) It would be pretty cool if some site did this, or at least make it so the author could enter his/her comments about the track. I think it would be neat of KC's Place did that. Of course, it is JUST an idea, because I know KCs Place is sorta in a financil crisis, and it would cost money. But, if you ever find a way, it would be cool to have a link next to the author section that says 'Comments' and brings you to a page with the author's comments on it, KC. Again, I'd like to say, its just an idea... your site is already the best MTM/MTM2 place on the web. Long live Vales MTM!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2000 12:40 am 
Glow Ball

Some good points there. Let's see what I can answer.

Okay, I'm looking at MCM Empire right now. The sorts are very similar to what kc already has - the only difference is that MCME has the sort options on the menu whereas kc has it right on the page (and always has). I don't see this as being a big concern. The straight forward design of KC's site is quick and easy to use. I don't imagine changing everything just to put it on a menu would really benefit anything.

I have to agree that an individual page for each track is nice. However, it's slow as molasses. I don't mean the site is slow, but the whole process is cumbersome. When I go looking for tracks, I don't want to lose my place on the page that contains the list. Imagine if you want to download all of enocell's mega release. You would have to go to each individual page for each track. But when I download a lot of tracks at once, I just want to get them and be done. I don't want to spend all my time flipping back and forth between all those pages. I think the download and the comments should be separate. Like KC's, not like MCME.

The question of the maker's comments isn't really an issue. A maker can include a readme file in the zip. I mean, what's the point. How many makers are going to take the time to make a track, upload it to a site, and then say it stinks and that nobody should get it? That's dumb. On the contrary, most makers will brag up their work. And why not, they worked hard on it. But the makers word is not what determines a true evaluation or description of things. We need comments and responses from other people who have seen and driven it. And even that can get slanted when team mates start boasting up their pals track too.

But this process we're trying to set up now has room for a little of everything. Anyone can have their say. If you want to start a thread for each of your tracks, then, by all means, do it. We can link them to kc's site easily enough. Do you really need a link to say "comments"? Just click the link on the track type and you're here.

If you look at the mtmg tracks downloads you see pop up descriptions (linked from the zip size - also a description is it not). That idea comes basically from the old set up KC used to use. The problem with it is that it's only one person's opinion. True, that's better than nothing, but it's not as open as it could be. Unfortunately, there is no program that allows you to add comments to a pop up like that. It all has to be done manually.

Btw, I wonder if MCME is done manually, or is the set up manual or is the whole process automated. If I had to guess, I'd have to say it looks like at least the set up is manual. And boy that's a lot of work. If the web guy over at MCME has time for that, then that's great for everyone into MCM. But here, at KC's or at MTMG or any other big site, people have lives too. I'm sorry, but I can't, and I'm sure KC will tell you the same, but I can't just sit here and wait for people to send things and then hurry up and re-write the html. All things can get done, but they take time...and a lot of effort. Therefore, everything you can automate speeds up the process, and makes it easier for everyone involved.

Also, how many tracks are at MCME. I can't get a list of any more than 25 at one time. There is no "big" sort.

Now, the ratings. Is it always important to see the track that got the highest vote total, or the largest number of comments? What if somebody floods the poll? Then that doesn't tell you anything about the best tracks. And what about the newbie who's work gets buried because nobody knows about it. I really think that sorting by date or author or alphabetically by track name is far more useful than a comment or rating. The more I see of voting and polling and rating, the less I like it. There is just way too much room for flooding and spamming, and there is way to little room for lesser know tracks and track makers to get recognized that deserve the attention.

Yes, money is always a concern. But pouring good money into fixing something that isn't broken is a bit wasteful. The Monster Truck Madness community is a strong one, and we all share and contribute to things to keep it that way.

Lastly, this is just my view of things. Who knows how things will work out or what the future holds. Sometimes you just can't never tell....

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2000 7:46 am 

Well, it might just be your comp that makes it slow, Phin... but I guess we all have different opinions of slow. I think myself, its pretty fast, but KCs is faster. However, you ever tried pressing 'All' at KCs without a category? Ouch, lol Image Anyway, if that does happen, heres a tip Phineus. Right click and press 'Open in new window' so u won't lose the list. And, another thing... the slow loading could be because of the specific track you are looking at. The more reveiws, the slower. And, what you said about opening another page... a disadvantage to this system is you have to open another page just to read the reveiws. (Sorry if I sound mad, I'm not) Well, I guess we all just have different opinions. Situations are also part of this. I think, that if you were like me, (being in the MCM community first, and seeing MCM Empire first) you would agree, that in the end, MCM Empire is at least marginaly better, because the features it has do make up for slow loading, in my opninion. And, maybe u can't get a big sort, but that would just make it slower. Besides, I think that KC's place is automated, except for the setup... isn't it? Man, I'd delete this message if it wasn't, thats a LOT of work. I think it is though, because the tracks are in an ASP database, which I belive means automatic (something, something) Though, I agree with you fully about the work... I also run a website ( MTM2X ) and I have to write up the html everytime I get something new (not that I really have much, I must admit, my site needs more traffic) I guess, in the end, the whole point of this message has to do with the science of nature...
Quote:
No matter what a human has, it is a distinct characteristic of the human race to want more

------------------
-Wipeout

[This message has been edited by AIR_Wipeout (edited 09-03-2000).]