MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

Post subject: Oddplace by Chemical-x
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2000 4:50 pm 

A very odd place indeed. To give the author some credit he does explain in the text file that he messed up with the textures but.... quote "not exactly my proudest day, but it will do!". Sorry to say this Chemical-x, but this will not do!
I don't like to waste my time downloading tracks that are clearly unfinished.
I would like to think that KC's is a place to get quality tracks - maybe it's about time for some kind of "filtering" system. i.e. you should not be able to upload a track until it has spent some time in the beta section.
I do not want to put a dampener on Chemical-x's enthusiasm but there are some major flaws with this track and I only hope that he at least gets a couple of friends to try his next one out before uploading it. In fact I'd be willing to try his next one out and give him some guidance, in my limited way, to point him in the right direction and give him the chance to gain some credibility for his efforts before he releases them for public scrutiny.
Hey we have a Beta board for that here don't we? :-)

On with the review:

As I have already mentioned, there are some major flaws. I would have liked to have seen the textures as they were meant to be to see if they gave me any more of a clue as to which direction to drive. The checkpoints are hidden. Why? What is the point? The corners... er, the corners don't exist! There are no corners. This is a short circuit, full of misleading racing lines which leaves one either at the bottom of an impossible-to-get-out-of lake or needing the assistance of a helicopter just to get around the track.

There is a plus side though! I found the psychedelic colours kind of cool! Maybe Chemical-x should keep these (landscape) textures as his trademark. But please give us a road we can drive! :-)

If you're reading this Chem-x don't let it discourage you, just put a little more effort into your next track before posting it huh? There are a lot of folks in this community who are only too willing to give help and advice... take advantage of that.
Best wishes

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2000 7:56 pm 

Well he did state in the readme:

"All in all this track took my close to three hours to construct, including the custom textures."

So, that pretty much says it. At least it's only a 300kb or so download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 5:24 am 

Well... ya, this track is junk.
But, the "Review Link" works.

So, that in mind, I don't know what else I can do and keep it as open and free to UL and DL.

I certainly do not have time to DL every track myself and deceide if it's worthy, but I can say that once someone does DL a track, lets use this forum to let others know the basic's as is happening now.

I would really like to find a way to establish a 1-5 rating system...

1 would mean the track just don't work and should be deleted.
2=Pretty crappy, but works ok, don't delete, someone may want it.
3=Normal, fully functional track or rumble that meets stock standards, like AI trucks and such.
4=An above average effort that uses special custom bins, great layout, good racing (or rumbling) line, etc... this will be where most "good" tracks fall.
5=An absolute work of art, must get and keep podded, incrediable racing experience.

I could then add a field for the rating, and use that # as the link from my DL pages, and even make it sortable on that field.

Suggestions welcome.. E me <a href=mailto:rating@vales.com>Rating Input</a>

Or drop Phin a line.

KC