MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:40 pm

Post subject: Californication..the trees
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:08 pm 

I'm in the middle of building a track. I saw the trees in californication and was amazed. These are thefirts really good 3d trees I have seen in mtm2.

I would like to make some pine trees in the same style, to give MTM2 a good semi-transparent 3d pine tree. Can anyone point me in the direction of how they are constructed? I took a look in bin edit, then took a shot at making some myself.. they didn't turn out so well.Is there a specific way to build these so models they look right, or is it just a trial an error sort of deal.

I have read about transparency and how the face need to be mapped in order to allow the faces behind them to be seen. Is there any more to this?

If this is in the wrong section feel free to move the thread anywhere you;d like :)

thanks
--Sky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:00 pm 
Gone Walkabout

I believe the 3D trees were first made for Evo.

However due to the high vertex count they did not work very well in MTM. It was Malibu350 that took this idea and worked some for MTM.

In DkriderGZ's track that you mention, for memory he used what Mal had worked with and then modified again for his track - I could be wrong but I think thats right.

As Mal is not around full time at the moment, maybe you could catch up with DkriderGZ in mtm2.com/chat or here then I sure he could shed some light on this question.

http://www.mtm2online.com
Evo1
http://www.evo1online.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:12 pm 

Thanks, i sure appreciate it.

By the way, what is everyone using to communicate these days? it used to be ICQ but when they went to adds well the first few version were no good lol.

It's a shame that a there are still quite a few people around who would love to play mtm2 if they could communicate while not in chat/game.

Communication outside of the game can really isolate a player. I know once people drifted from ICQ the zone population decreased a bit too. We used to round up our team, friends and even a few people we didn't know but played MTM2 via icq, and all go meet in the zone.

A little off topic, but thanks again.

FWIW
I'm having a a good time with the track making. Lot of new things discovered since my last track, and my knowledge is ten times what it was about how the game works. (thanks to this forum). I hope to have something new for the community to run in a few weeks.

--thanks again
--sky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:24 pm 
Gone Walkabout

YW - I'm having internet issues at this time after a move.
I think a lot via the mtm2.com/chat site, this forum of course, email and messengers.
I myself keep in touch at the moment with co hosts via msn (when I can log in lol) and email.

http://www.mtm2online.com
Evo1
http://www.evo1online.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:37 am 
MTM2 Engineer

He actually took some of those trees from the Google's 3D Warehouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:53 am 

Sky wrote:
Thanks, i sure appreciate it.

By the way, what is everyone using to communicate these days? it used to be ICQ but when they went to adds well the first few version were no good lol.

It's a shame that a there are still quite a few people around who would love to play mtm2 if they could communicate while not in chat/game.

Communication outside of the game can really isolate a player. I know once people drifted from ICQ the zone population decreased a bit too. We used to round up our team, friends and even a few people we didn't know but played MTM2 via icq, and all go meet in the zone.

A little off topic, but thanks again.

FWIW
I'm having a a good time with the track making. Lot of new things discovered since my last track, and my knowledge is ten times what it was about how the game works. (thanks to this forum). I hope to have something new for the community to run in a few weeks.

--thanks again
--sky

Everyone in my office has played MTM2. But none find their way to this site. They all click the MSN Zone button in game. I have tried to lead them here, but they are not interested in spending the time to get set up here. Especially for such a small player base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:43 am 

Thanks Slayer I appreciate the heads up. I remember the game itself is exactly what led me to the zone. I used to play helbender too LOL ;)

last night I was in the chat and ran across DK, CLC and a few others i ended up installing windows messenger. I was stoked to get some people on my contact list that play regularly. We also had an old player from the zone stop by the chat..we fixed hi up with cowpod and the patch.

Myself and 3 or 4 other guys played around after the tourney last night. we ended up having a blast.

Bummer a guy couldn't change the "web site settings" in the retail game. I guess MS never looked past the thought the zone may close one day lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:05 am 

Microsoft didn't program the game. TRI programed the game.
Terminal Reality.
Microsoft just marketed the game.
:)

MSN Messenger definitely the way to go.
I used to have a 5 digit ICQ number but that was in the 90s... lol