MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

Post subject: BB's rally by Nick (BB)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:25 pm 
Trackologist

Every now and then I cruise thru here and d/l new tracks to see what the field looks like, which is how I stumbled across Davidg, author of "So Sorry", "Too Nasty", and another that hasn't been released yet. He's one to watch, that's for sure!

Alas, this isn't a "Davidg" review, and speaking of one to watch...BB is a new name for me, and that's not surprising given the fact this is his first track. I adopt a certain mindset when I see "this is my first track" in a readme.txt. Not that I expect garbage, mind you; it's just that I don't expect "too much". I think I'm one of the more appreciative people around when it comes to supporting track makers and the work they do, but again...I know it's a learning process, so I don't expect to see guys cranking out tracks comparable to Alpine, Zoon, Malibu, Phineus, Badger, etc. on their very firt outing. Still, I had expections of this track being symbolic of someone new to the field...and I couldn't have been more wrong! BB - my guess is you've either observed the work of others very closely and learned from it, or you've got one hell of a knack for making tracks! I was thoroughly impressed with your work, bud.

I also read your readme text and acknowledge the fact that much of the bins/models were made by others. Two things worth noting are 1., how well you used them and placed them throughout the track; it definitely compliments the very nice layout you have! And 2., your willingness to give credit where credit was due. That's the sign of a class act in my opinion. You definitely have talent, but you also seem to be a heck of a nice guy, as well!!

SLO_JDAK was so impressed by it, he put it down as his number one pick for our team's new Always Podded List, which goes into effect 1 Feb! Hehe--and if he handn't of picked it, I would have!

Depending on who you talk to, you'd probably get varying opinions on what you should and shouldn't have done technically. Plus, sometimes it's merely a matter of opinion where you should and shouldn't have used a smoothing tool. Image I'm a racer, hence I can't offer you advice or suggestions there. All I can say is the stretch going to cp 5...you've got a few trees that are kinda "stuck" in the side of the mountain in an unnatural fashion. And maybe a fence or guard rail would have been nice in one or two spots...but hey, if people wouldn't drive like freakin maniacs out here...heheh, well, you get my drift.

Small things though, BB...small things. I would highly suggest you talk to guys like SLO_ObeOne, OLD_HotShoe, SLO_Preacher, Malibu...who incidentally has a very nice scrapyard for track sssssstuff, SLO_Fila, SLO_Gutterboy, or any track maker that's been doing this stuff for awhile and knows his/her way around. There's just a wealth of info out there waiting for you to take it!!

I recently started assigning a numerical rating to tracks I write reviews on. Hehe--in truth, it means nothing - purely subjective; I'm just Joe-Blow racer, and I like to race nice tracks, then talk about em in this great forum KC has put together.

With that said, this one gets a "Copey Rating" of 8.5!!! If I judged this one based on it's worthiness compared to other new track makers, it would be a 10, no doubt!! But I hope you take my suggestion to heart (and the rating with a grain of salt) and do some "networking" out there with other track makers. I for one think you have a lot to offer to the game, and belive me, your efforts would be very much appreciated!!

Take care bud, and if you're ever in need of beta testers, SLO is always available!!

[This message has been edited by SLO_COPE (edited 15-01-2002).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 11:19 am 

This track is very well layed out. Nice and fast and runs very smooth. I truly enjoy playing this one. With this being a first effort, I truly encourage many more! After running this the first time I was hooked. I can't wait to see more!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:07 pm 

Indeed this is very nice work. I like the fast pace on this one. not to hard but watch out for the few serious curves heheehe

Jumper