MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:01 am

Post subject: Great Idea but ...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2000 12:45 am 

This track review board is a great idea but I can soon see it getting difficult to locate a particular track review once the number of posts grows (as I hope it does).
An archive (pref. searchable) of reviews along with download links would be great. I tried doing that on the AXE page but faced a few problems there.
a) Since I was the only one doing it, I soon fell behind in my reviews. Despite calls for help where I promised to give a by-line for submitted reviews, I only got 1 or 2.
b) I only reviewed tracks I liked ... If I didn't like the track I didn't post it ....
c) I am not an authority on tracks but did it just to sort out the wheat from the chaff ... to give people an idea of which tracks are worth a download. I don't care much about bins etc. as long as the track is fun and racable heheh.
So ... my point is this ...To make this great idea even better, a searchable archive of contributed track reviews and download links should be made and maintained for all to use.
doob out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2000 3:08 am 
Glow Ball

Hiya adoob

I agree that things can become unmanagable if this grows too large. There are several ways to deal with this. One is to use the "find in page" feature in the browser. When I go to KC's looking for a particular track, I often save time using that.

Ideally, yes, an archive of reviews and comments with links to the track is just what the doctor ordered. Unfortunately, I have neither the cgi or perl know-how to do that, nor do I have space to host that many tracks. KC had the right idea but the review area was restricted to only a few people and additional comments could not be added. But that's all pointless to think about right now, since it's all gone anyway.

I had managed a script that would allow links to other sites, but most servers block direct linking now so it wouldn't have much practical value.

I can relate to the immense workload you've undertaken at the AXE site. Man, can I relate! I tried reviewing all the tracks that were recommended here at mtmg but with a lot of good tracks constantly being made and work at home pressing in on me, there is/was just so much one person can do. I'm hoping that the open nature of this place will help lift the burden people feel at the prospect of being "the" reviewer. Simply put, if somebody finds a track they like, I hope they'll come here and tell us. With a bit of discussion, all the details will hopefully be revealed.

The two shots I've taken at a track vote thing have proven that in a lot of cases votes and polling often become self serving. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it goes. By allowing an open forum for discussion, my hope is that people will have an opportunity to offer counter views (I pray it stays civil). But ultimately, right now anyway, if something sounds good, people will still have to head over to kc's or nicky's to get the track.

Yes, ideally, a person who starts a post will include a link to the track or the page where it can be found. But again, until things become more affordable, this is the best I've come up with so far.

"only the tracks I liked" well, it's always better to hear about the good ones anyway. Let's try to keep things positive if we can. I think it's much more fun that way.

"I am not an authority" .... well, who is? But I'd rather here about what you and other people think than to spend my time downloading at whole sale levels and have to sift through the chaff all on my own. That's hardly necessary either when so many people have already driven so many tracks.

In the meantime, we always have the AXE cool tracks page and/or the mtmg download sections. From what I can tell, people like the sifting and sorting we've already done. This board or the new axe team message board will just help make track downloads that much more informed.

Thanks for stopping in. Hope to see more of you too.

AXE Team Page.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2000 5:16 am 

OK... This can work...

I have the ability already to have an URL link from any track or truck in my database.
I just didn't have the time or resources to manage it.

I can make it so anyone can eneter the exact URL to the topic here until it is entered the 1st time. I would hope authors would enter their info here to start the topic then link it.

From there, whatever goes on here is your responsibility...

I can implement the linking easy enough.
If thats acceptable, let me know.
For now, I'm going to test it out ;-}

KC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2000 10:19 am 
Glow Ball

>>From there, whatever goes on here is your responsibility...

No problem. I have word screening turned on, and complete admin control over every aspect of the bbs. I don't anticipate much problem at all - beyond the uploaders getting the links correct.

>>I can implement the linking easy enough.
>>If thats acceptable, let me know.

That's affirmative, Houston. All systems are go and we're ready for take off, hehe.

>>For now, I'm going to test it out ;-}

From what I've seen of your tests, everything looks green light.

If there is something you need, please let me know.

Great work, KC. And thanks.

------------------
- Phineus