MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:44 am

Post subject: OGX MX
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:19 pm 
Trackologist

You don’t find MX/SX style tracks being made much these days. Sad, but maybe it’s a subtle indicator of the fading interest in this great game, which is understandable given its age. Still, MTM 2 isn’t gone yet, and neither is OGX_World, the author of the track I’m about to review. I’ll steer clear of all the hype that would make one think World is running for President of the United States. Besides, most of it isn’t true anyway lol. If you’d like to know a little more about the guy, by all means check out the reviews for his tracks “OGX Oasis” & “OGX Maui 2002”. They’ll tell you all you need to know about World, and then some. Image

As for “OGX MX”, I can genuinely say that any words I write here will pale in comparison to how good this track really is. It’s about 1:24 seconds of pure adrenaline, and thus far EVERYONE I know who’s run it, loves it. As far as the course layout is concerned, it’s certainly extremely well thought out, but I wouldn’t go as far to say he did anything outlandishly innovative. The same holds true for the course texture, which is the same stuff he’s used on his previous “Maui” tracks. Hehe, and now I have people saying, “now hold on here, Copey – you just implied that this is one of the best tracks you’ve seen in some time; make up your mind, pal!” I assure you, it is, but the reasons why have nothing to do with any one particular thing, and everything to do with…well, everything. Make no mistake, World knows how to put a track together, and although he didn’t go for groundbreaking originality here, it ranks as one of the best MX tracks I’ve run. World’s forte is combining killer layouts with stunning graphics, and there’s no doubt about it, he’s one of the absolute best!

What most probably fail to realize is this guy “rarely” uses beta testers. Sure, he misses a few very minor things here and there, but hey, lots of track makers do, even those with beta testers! Moreover, given the graphic complexity of his tracks, it’s amazing he doesn’t miss more. To me it punctuates just how good he really is.

Two things jump out at you…well, ok let me rephrase here; amidst ALL the visual niceties you’ll see when you crank up OGX MX, two things really stand out. The first is the enormous grandstand that encloses the entire track. I don’t recall seeing grandstands like that since Yeastman’s Tundra Finals, Anaheim SX, and the like. Mostly what you find nowadays are sectionals. They’re more than adequate, but they simply don’t compare to what you’ll see in this track. But hey, don’t take my word for it; check it out for yourself!

The other notable characteristic worth commenting on is his use of water. His use of it is interesting in that the water can work for you or against you. If you hit the jump just right, you’ll catch the tail end of your truck in the water, slowing you down just enough to make one of the many sharp 180º turns. If you come up too short or too long, you’ll most likely be inspired to say things to yourself…out loud…using socially unacceptable terms and phrases even.

This is definitely a finesse track – no doubt. If your power slide and accelerator control skills are not up to par, this 1:24 sec masterpiece will undoubtedly turn into a long, frustrating endeavor. Conversely, if MX/SX tracks are your specialty, you’ll keep this one on your personal “always podded list”. It’s definitely going to stay on mine.

I ran this baby thru a battery of test based on the all too familiar “Copey Rating” criteria, and it chalked up rock-solid 10 out of 10 possible points! Nope, it’s not perfect, as I noted a few floating cp’s and minor texture blending flaws. Still, OGX MX is put together so well it rendered the minor miscues negligible in my "humble" opinion. Awesome work, World…a truly great job!

[This message has been edited by SLO_COPE (edited 16-09-2002).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:24 pm 
Glow Ball

OGX MX by World

<font size=1>Edited by Phineus (15-01-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:55 pm 

Not bad at all, low gear settings is a must and go for a spin or two. This stadium is huge and plenty of bumps and curve to deal with. defenitly for MX fanatics.
Good work Buddy!

------------------
Jumper
Only those who will risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go.

<font size=1>Edited by SLO_Jumper (15-01-2003)</font>