MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

Post subject: 2nd Chance by Street Grinder
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:29 pm 

"2nd Chance" by NKAcStreet - <a href=http://members.cox.net/phazelwood/2chance.zip>Download</a>

A new MTM1/MTM2 track. Very nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:11 pm 
Glow Ball

Hey, that's not too bad at all. How'd you find out about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:22 pm 

I spotted it while visiting the <a href=http://members.cox.net/teamnka/>NKA</a> forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:06 am 
Trackologist

Oh yeah, a nice one for sure, WK. I just got done adding this baby to our page. Hehe I got like...4 reviews to do now, so needless to say I'm a tad behind. No matter - I'll be caught up again in no time (I hope).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 5:29 am 

Now this is surprisingly fun. The scenery may not match the one of those evo style tracks but heck of a fun layout there. Fun track, i like it.

------------------
Jumper
Only those who will risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:34 am 
Trackologist

I’ve never played MTM 1 (surprise, surprise), and I still don’t understand why some proclaimed that they preferred MTM 1 to MTM 2, but none of that matters really. What does matter is NKAc_Street, whose team is heavily involved in EVO II 4x4, was inspired to make a track…an MTM 1 track no less. When you combine that with the fact MTM 1 is pretty much extinct, I can’t say for sure what moved him to make “2nd Chance”, but you know what? For those of us who enjoy racing, and appreciate a nicely laid-out track with a good mix of variety in terms of speed/finesse…“why” he did it is irrelevant. He did it, and I’m thankful WinterKill stumbled upon it. Matter of fact, to express the depth of my gratitude, I’m going to request that Malibu350 & Phineus send “Mr. Street” a check for $500.00. Oh, and while I’m at it, I’ll have those guys send Winterkill a check, too! He didn’t do very much, but his name is kinda cool…so why not send the guy a little cash lol. Yeah, a grand gesture on my part for sure, but hey – that’s just the kind of guy I am!

“2nd Chance” is very much a trip back in time – a time before track making became what is now in some respect an art form. My guess is it isn’t based on an actual place from Street’s childhood memories or loosely patterned after an actual racetrack…and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. The décor consist of a generous sampling of trees and billboards/signs of one kind or another. Hehe I tell ya, I’ve never seen as much advertising in one track as I did in this one. Street is plugging some big names here, to include Pontiac, Firestone, Bell South, Penzoil, Snap-On, Goodyear, Coca-Cola, Pepsi and more. I’m thinking if Mal and Phin don’t come thru with a check for the guy, one of the companies he’s advertising for in this track should! At any rate, the key ingredient to “2nd Chance” is it’s layout – it’s superb. It’s got it all in terms of variety; speed, sharp turns, respectable air time, a few spots necessitating finesse and agility, slight banks…all of it. The road texture is perfect, too. It’s moderately slippery, but you can definitely use it to your advantage in taking some of the turns at high speeds with a little accelerator control. Hehe it’s really lots of fun!

Technically there were a few things I made note of, like a few floating legs on display signs, a grandstand not correctly seated, and another that was floating, to include the NKA sign at the very beginning of the race. Also, several of the checkpoints had legs that were improperly seated as well. Speaking of checkpoints, they give you the impression of being set to no-collide because you can drive right thru a good portion of the legs. Try and take one dead center, however, and you’ll get a surprise. Nothing serious – it’s just the way he set the model.

Allow me to stress something I feel needs to be clarified. When I make observations like the ones I just mentioned (technical flaws), they’re mostly for the author’s benefit – simply an awareness thing. Furthermore, maybe it’ll help a new track maker be mindful of such blemishes that are commonplace in track making. Unless flaws of the kind I mentioned impact a track’s racing adequacy, it’s really not a serious matter at all. They’re just observations – things that kind of jump out at me when I do my drive-through. As for the Copey Rating, this one gets well deserved “9” out of 10 possible points!! SLO_Jumper, SLO_Gutterboy and myself had an intense run on this a few days ago, and it’s awesome. No doubt about it, it’s a racer’s track, and if there’s anyone out there who disagrees with me, let me know and I’ll be sure that you get a $500.00 check compliments of Mal and Phin! I mean, that’s fair…I think lol.

Street – awesome job, man! I sure hope we haven’t heard the last of you. In the future, if you would please, upload your work right here at MTMG. Oh, and with every upload, Mal and Phin will send you a… lol, ok enough of that before I get in trouble. Once again, great stuff, bud. Image

------------------
COPE

<font size=1>Edited by SLO_COPE (06-12-2002)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:38 am 

Hi everyone, been quite a while since I visited here.

Thanks for the comments on my track, I was quite surprised to see a review on it here.

Cope, I welcome any and all comments when it comes to constructive critisism of my tracks.

I could write a novel about why I thought mtm1 was more fun. Maybe if I spot a thread on remeniscing I'll indulge ya all, LOL. So I'll keep it simple by saying that most of the people I knew stayed in mtm1 cause they couldn't upgrade to a computer that would run mtm2 good. If anyone doesn't know, software mode in mtm1 looks way way better than software mode in MTM2, eeeewwww.

As for why I made the track. Two reasons, we had planned on an mtm1 night and I thought it would be cool for everyone to have a brand new mtm1 track to download for it. Secondly I never made an mtm1 track using a custom ground texture set I had made myself.

So I used the texture templates I had made, thanks to phins template site, and made an all new set. It was the first mtm1 track I could say I was really happy with, hehe. As for billboards, I don't know why I like billboards in my tracks, just do, LOL.

BTW winterkill, I have templates that solve that diagonal template issue listed on phins site if your interested?

Anyway, I may make another one in the near future as we are planning another mtm1 night. As well, I will be uploading quite a few of the old NKA tracks in the near future as well, if my memory serves me correctly there is at least 80 not on the site here, probably more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:34 pm 

Hiya Street, I was waiting for the day you'd happen by here, almost invited you myself.

(I'm checking out the <a href=http://rhinoseros.com/~forum/pages/Forum12/HTML/000039.html>45s</a> now, thanks, sorry for not following up on that earlier as I was supposed to, but I've just not done much on the texturing front).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:49 pm 
Trackologist

Hey Street - thanks for stoppin in and telling us a little about yourself, your track, and leaving us with hope that this isn't the last we've heard from ya. I can't speak for everyone, but I love that kind of feedback from trackmakers. I hope more guys/girls like yourself take a little time to stop by here and fill us in on some of the history and facts regarding their tracks. Again, I know not everyone is interested in that kind of info, but I'd bet Phin's paycheck (not a gambler - can't use my money lol) more people DO in fact want to know some of the details pertaining to how a track came about.

Finally, Team SLO liked this one so much, it was a no-brainer pick for one of our more popular racing lists! Love the track man...love it, and I like it even more when I win! lol
Take care, Street!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:38 am 

Thanks Cope. I actually am working on a new one right now for our next mtm1 get together.

WK, np man, if you have any questions about the templates, just ask.