MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:42 am

Post subject: A brief aside on ramps
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:17 pm 

So I just made a little track to test out a theory about ramp models and why a track maker might choose to use them over a simple flat model that's been rotated. Some of what I'm about to say might be common knowledge, but I feel like it's still good to get it written down.

The difference between ramps and other ways of jumping in MTM2 is that they are somehow constructed to kick the nose of the truck downwards in flight, rather than the usual MTM tendency to send the trucks nose-up. The reasoning behind TRI creating this is actually pretty obvious: real monster trucks, at least how they were set up in the mid-1990s, tended to land nose down off of jumps on race tracks - you can see this in some of the MTM1 truck videos. So, in drags in MTM1, ramps were used to give the trucks a more realistic feel than they would have otherwise.

After I eventually get done with the new trucks, I'd like to try designing some tracks using those ramps to my advantage. I think some cool effects, and realistic jumps, could be done using them in combination with other models and terrain layouts.

Post subject: Re: A brief aside on ramps
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:06 am 

Yep.

The biggest downside is that the amount of ramps is extremely limited.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:40 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

From what I remember, ramps seem to physically force the (back?) wheels up their slope even if you try to come to a stop on them. Also, placing a ramp high in the air causes the truck to teleport up to it if you drive under it - pretty sure I've seen this feature in adventure tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:11 am 

Mat-Allum wrote:
From what I remember, ramps seem to physically force the (back?) wheels up their slope even if you try to come to a stop on them. Also, placing a ramp high in the air causes the truck to teleport up to it if you drive under it - pretty sure I've seen this feature in adventure tracks.

Yeah even some of my old rumbles used this to pop through solid things like ground boxes.
http://www.mtm2.com/MTM2/Tracks/tracks.php?search=dug+5