MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

Post subject: Banks
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2000 7:43 am 
easy company

EmceeMart, a while ago you had asked "how do ya get those nice smoothly banked curves?"... i had intended to respond to that a while back but got side tracked and forgot about it. oops Image

lets see,,,the easiest and quickest way that i know of is to just create a random terrain in traxx (it may take several tries before its something you want to work with) and then lay the road textures along the hillsides for banks this is what i did in rock ridge, obviously some areas i had manually altered but the best banked areas were untouched from the origional random terrain...
so basically the rock ridge road textures were built around the terrain layout,

but in Daytona the terrain was built around the track textures where it was just a flat oval then i used the slope tool to rough it out then about 100 hrs with the single point tool looking at and adjusting the banks from every concievable angle got it to where it ended up which is as good as it could get but not as good as i wanted it to be,.. the size of the grid squares + the radius of the turn + the width of the road + the angle and arc of the bank dictate how smooth it can end up, i think that it was Phineus that joked the only way to get it smoother would be to start over and first lay it out on graph paper and dust off a slide rule hehe, i think i'll just hang tight and wait till GB adds that "bank" button in traxx 1.5 before i attempt that again, i failed miserably in trig. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2000 8:28 am 

I have been experimenting with both of the methods you describe Mal, and I've come to the conclusion that there are some things that you can only do by resorting to the time-consuming single point editing - and even then I find I have to keep switching from Traxx to the game and back a few times before getting the desired effect! What would be ideal would be a way to edit the terrain in the game as you drive around! Oh well, I'll dream on.... I should have a beta of MCtrek posted at KC's soon, I used the terrain and the curve tool in that one. I made most of the terrain using the hill tool.

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2000 3:48 am 

In my tracks where i want a banked 180* corner i copied the terrain 2 psp + drew a dark circle (hardness=0) on the inside of the turning and that creates a bank when you paste terrain.

------------------
Yours Mentally
SIG