MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

Post subject: Why do model boxes have no effect on CPU trucks?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:39 pm 

I've noticed that when you are more than a few squares away from the computer trucks they have a tendancy to 'ignore' model boxes (the purple ones in TRAXX). The trucks also go through models set up to be jumps which don't have a ramp under them. Anyone know why?

------------------
Wyld Stallyns Rule!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:31 am 
easy company

I can only speculate, but I believe TRI made it this way as a way to "help" the AI's be more competative (cheat a little), I for one am glad they did because it's hard enough to get them to follow the road at a decent pace let alone having to train them to weave in and around trees and such.

a work around to get the AI's to stay "on" the bridge: instead of using object boxes as bridge support, just make a simple two dimentional model the size of the bridge surface, set it transparent, then insert it as you would a OB...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:32 am 

What i know is that if you keep the purple boxes on "default" the computer trucks ignore it. But i believe that if you select it as a possible moving object (so that you let the weight to 0) it will stop. But i need to double check this one.

------------------
The humans think it is a poison of the blood that makes us what we are.
Fools, the blood only feeds the bodies we live in. To create a vampire,
one must steal a soul from the abyss to reanimate the corpse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:01 am 

Quote:
But i believe that if you select it as a possible moving object (so that you let the weight to 0) it will stop. But i need to double check this one.

That doesn't work, even players trucks will fall through. Perhaps there is a trick here: I'm not sure but I think I've read somewhere a posting related to the altitude setting of moving objects. Even if this is true, you won't ba able to position the object where you want it.

Let's turn to Mal's idea:
Quote:
a work around to get the AI's to stay "on" the bridge: instead of using object boxes as bridge support, just make a simple two dimentional model the size of the bridge surface, set it transparent, then insert it as you would a OB...

In some circumstances this won't work either. Where the transparent object intersects with a rendered (drawn) object, portions of it will temporarily appear as transparent, but only on certain viewing angles. This happens for instance when building a driveable surface under the convex bamboo bridge.

But Mal points in the right direction. The fix is to use a two dimentional, very thin L-shaped object instead. That way the unwanted effects at object intersections disappear. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:14 pm 
Glow Ball

Notes about transparency. Sizing the 2D model for a precise fit is the best way to go. But if you want to use the same model generically in many spots that won't work. In that case, place all the transparent models in the track at the very end. Faces are rendered in the order they are put in the track and so placing them last can 'sometimes' help the overlapping transparency problem. Lastly, setting object boxes to 'barricade' can be more effective than leaving them on 'default' - at least that's been my experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:47 am 

Quote:
In that case, place all the transparent models in the track at the very end.

The very end of what? The list of models as it appears in traxx?
There you cannot choose the order: if you add a model, it will appear in the first unused slot (very annoying feature!) . In my experiments, transparent objects were always at the end.

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:33 am 
Glow Ball

> The very end of what?

After you are finished everything else. The last thing you do. At the end of the job. Even then, there are no guaranties.