MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

Post subject: AI-truck course: framerate stabilizer needed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:40 pm 

I am finalizing a track that I plan to release in December. I thought I was done, including the AI tracks, when one of my beta tester complained about the AI not working at all. I really spent a lot of time to teach some basic racing line to the AI-dumbos, so I looked at it more carefully. Everybody knows the AI performance depends on the garage setup.
But in addition, it seems to be very much dependent of the frame rate. I conjecture that the steering correction is updated
every frame and implicitly assumes a minimal time until the next adjustment.
On my computers, it works best with frame rates around 40. Above 100 fps, the AI is definitely getting mad (even on the stock tracks).
For instance, I found the AI to do quite nicely on an old K6-400MHz while not working at all on my main machine where I get FPS over 120. Then I selected software mode, the fps dropped to 35, and the AI worked
like a breeze... Back in hardware mode I set antialiasing to 4x, got 50 FPS and working AI. But that does not solve the problem of AI performance degrading quickly for higher and lower framerates. Does anybody have an idea about that?

A final thought: when testing the AI, do not race yourself, or make sure you finish last.
Otherwise you may get those really fast AI lap times on result screen which are not real but "calculated finishing times".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:47 pm 
Glow Ball

These topics have come up before and I think your observations are consistent with previous findings. Good work. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of a workaround for the computer trucks yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:57 pm 

Perhaps I've burned out a few brain cells, but what you say is news to me and could well explain something I've experienced. While watching my own AI on a friends computer, which has blazing framerates, I noticed they were not acting as they did on my computer (P2 450), with all settings being the same. Seeing that I was thinking that hardware could well affect things like that. I'll have to check this out again. Thanks.

Well rocketalces, as an MTM tech-head you definately belong here, hehe. Have you published any tracks yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:34 pm 
Glow Ball

Posted 09-09-2002 by rocketalces

http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?t=1575

No wonder this rang familiar so quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:42 pm 

Hehe Winterkill, check out the link up there.

------------------
"But the music is not too outstanding as the sound effects (Like the footsteps mario makes when walking on brick)" - review Super Mario Sunshine by KronoKross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:36 am 
easy company

I guess this explains why BigDOGGe said the ai's were driving off into the lake on my last track, and they run the course perfect on my machine a p2 450 and he's running upwards of a p4 1.5ghz I think.

the best way to tweak the ai's I've found is to set up 4 bot racers, start the race and go into chase far view then just park your truck and hit the K key and watch where the bots mess up then make the adjustments in traxx accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:07 am 

:idea:
Testing a couple of trucks of Big dogge and Replica Fan gave me the following idea: using (in chase view) a a specially designed high vertex truck.
You will have to make sure none of the AI trucks are using it, though.

What do you think? Will this work?
Any idea about the (vertex / frame rate hit) ratio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:09 pm 

Lol...I never saw this thread before...I KNEW I was having problems with that track.......

Bizarre about the different AI responses......I guess a "guardrail" type of fix could be used as a last resort on difficult-to-solve spots....
P.S....I tested on a P3/1-Ghz machine....curious what it would do on the P2/333mhz box.

Oh well...it's an old topic....I'm talking to myself again.....too bad I never listen.... [;)]