MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:37 am

Post subject: Sound Theme
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:48 am 

I was wondering if theres a way to make custom sound theme? If so how hard is it too make? And what programs do i need?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:07 pm 

Possible, yes. Hard, well, the most difficult bit would be collecting wav files that are loud enough, in the right format and work well all around, as well as simply designing a cool scheme. There is also a limited number of possible sound schemes, which have fixed names, thus it has never been encouraged due to the possibility of conflicts with one another. I wouldn't encourage anyone to make one unless they're going to go all out, as opposed to changing one particular sound.

Mainly what you'd need is a wav editor (such as windows' sound recorder) to make sure your wav files were in the proper format and loud enough. Apart from that all you'd need is a text editor and pod making utilty.

I must say there a lot of wav files in the sound pod that have not been used anywhere in our game, which might be called into play with a custom scheme. As for making one, one would likely use the "control info" from a stock scheme as a basis, and spend time figuring out just how it works (the values in teh 'script' are quite undocumented).

Apart from all of this, you could very well create one long wav file and use it as your track soundtrack, creating some kind of non-music ambient atmosphere.

<font size=1>Edited by Winterkill (04-04-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:55 pm 

Hmm ok well thats sounds way over my head lol.
Thx for ansering my guestion there Winterkill.
Yaa I know what u mean bout finding loud enuff wave files i found some kool ones to go with my track but you cant hear them in game unless u turn off sound efects. I've tried a couple diff wave editors but cant seem to make them louder.
thx again hotshoe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:46 pm 
Glow Ball

Making custom sound themes is very involved and the results are marginally beneficial. Meantime, you might like this link. It should get you the extra loudness you want.

http://cownap.com/~mtmg/sound.html

Tip. Make back ups of your wav files before you begin.