MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 am

Post subject: How to move objects after moving terrain?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:11 am 

:?:
I have to relocate a portion of my track a bit further away. I experienced some lag because it was too close to an area lying on the other side of a mountain, which doesn't matter.
Moving altitude and textures is easy enough, but what about the objets? There are quite a few requiring accurate placement both relative to terrain and to other objects. Is there a way to displace these objects?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:56 am 

It's theoretically possible to do that by figuring out how far every model would need to be moved, then changing the "ipos" value for each model in the .SIT file by the same amount. That would mean extracting the track files, editing the SIT, then cloning it again with Traxx. I predict this would not be very fun.

I could rather easily move your models using TrackEd3 (being discussed elsewhere at the moment). By opening your track, choosing a single model and then assigning many others to it as "children" I could move them all as one by moving the "parent". This could be done to groups of models (I'm unsure how many children can be assigned to a single model). After doing that I would convert that "box data" back to mtm format and then clone it with Traxx.

In any event, moving your models by these methods would require extracting and cloning, which will end up requiring some small fixing of each model on the vertical axis once it's back into Traxx - which is easy to fix.

If I (or another who has the skill) were to do this it would be best if you created a special pod, deleting every model except those you want moved, and including the already moved terrain and textures.

Then, take pictures of your original pod, or share it as well, to show where the models are supposed to align with the terrain you moved, so they can be shifted with precision.

Otherwise, you must move each one by hand in Traxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:35 am 

Quote:
That would mean extracting the track files, editing the SIT, then cloning it again with Traxx. I predict this would not be very fun.

Well, I found editing the SIT file quite enjoyable. I quickly wrote a couple of spreadsheet functions to extract the list of all objects. Now I can select objects by coordinate range (and model name etc.) and determine an offset to be applicable. It takes less than a minute to rewrite a new SIT file with all objects in a subrange moved by the given vector.

So far so good. After cloning in traxx, all default boxes (objects without model) had their height doubled (??)
What's the rationale behind this and the following?

Quote:
...will end up requiring some small fixing of each model on the vertical axis once it's back into Traxx

Is this a traxx problem?

What is the meaning of the p,q,r, variables which seem to be zero all the time? [This is not explained in http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?t=1832]

It would be interesting to solve this problem because the spreadsheet could be used for other purposes, e.g. automatically adding a collideable trunk to each modell of a given type etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:34 am 

Ah, the magic of spreadsheets! Cool! I'm only a spectator when it comes to those.

When sit files are cloned Traxx resets the height value of normal models to the nearest whole number, or something very much like that, which is why I mentioned adjustments.

>> After cloning in traxx, all default boxes (objects without model) had their height doubled (??)

I can't explain that, but I do know that default object boxes I've placed using TrackEd3 turn out very messed up when cloned with Traxx, while actual models are generally okay, except for the height issue. Traxx may or may not clone Traxx made object boxes well, but it does badly with the ones I've imported from TrackEd3.

p,q,r are values used in replay files (which are plain text), and they relate to rotation/momentum in a way I can't quite define. They do not affect boxes in the sit file, I know - I've tried. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:35 am 

Quote:
When sit files are cloned Traxx resets the height value of normal models to the nearest whole number, or something very much like that

This suggests it would be better to directly edit the traxx file.
I am probably not the first to have this idea. Any known experiences about that?
Where can I find infos about traxx file format?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:16 am 

Hmm, no replies to my last posting. [bump]

Let's try something else:
Is there anaother way than the traxx clone function do obtaint a pod from a sit file?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:44 am 

I think only Guitar Bill has info on the TXX file, and it's clearly uneditable in any practical way. I didn't think of it before, but you can clone the SIT with <a href=http://rhinoseros.com/~mtmg/tracked2/>TrackEd2</a>.