MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

Post subject: Texture Transitions
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:02 pm 
Glow Ball

One thing I haven't perfected is a design so that texture transitions don't need endless tweaking after you apply one. Does anybody have a pattern or design that solves the sharp edge problem?

Thanks if you have anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:40 pm 
easy company

I don't have a pattern or design, but I have a method that I developed doing ocir's. It's nothing fast, you'll still need to do one at a time but for the most part once you do them there is no more tweaking necesary except when the transitions meet at the corners (avoid those).

If this is something that may help I can go into more detail, it'll take a while but I'd be happy to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:00 pm 
Glow Ball

This image looks terrible cuz of the compression but it was too large without it. Anyway, I have a huge amount of terrain to cover so the idea would be to prevent the need for this kind of tweaking all the way around. I usually avoid transitions because of this problem. I think the problem is that 3x3 just doesn't offer enough flexibility. Maybe a workaround will be to use transitions to mark the ground, then go back with a 5x5 set to touch up the edges. But I'm open to suggestion if something to eliminate that sort of tedium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:25 pm 
easy company

Unfortunatly I'm afraid that tedium is my way... In a case like that I'd either use an exsisting corner texture to fix it (fill in all the gaps) if it aligned properly, and if didn't I'd make one that did... I surley wouldn't want to have do that on a massive scale though.

I have never played with the auto transition tool so I can't say if it'd offer more flexability or not by using a 5x5 but it seems logical that it would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:43 am 

you are talking about traxx ability to transition to diff texytures at different altitudes right?
let me know if u get a way to do that well.
I've seen it work fien as long as you make an octagon. flat sides not curved

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:07 am 
Glow Ball

Mal and I worked on this last night. Here's the best so far.

Not perfect, you'll notice blemishes in a few spots, a few misplaced textures, but overall, not too bad. For my test, I made the selection, contracted by two pixels, then feathered by two pixels. And I cut it up with slice60, not traxx.

Post subject: Transitions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:44 pm 
Yes, If I remember correctly the 'auto transitions' feature was designed only with the 'diagonals' transition scheme in mind.

There are 2 ways to do transitions; going from corner-to-corner (what I call the 'diagonals' method), or going from center-to-center as per the previous poster in this thread.
Phins outline there is for the diagonals scheme, which should work properly with altitude transitions.
Arguably the other method produces better results though, because you don't get the texel blockiness at the corners where they meet.