Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

Want an F1 MTM Competition?
Yes 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
No 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Trackmakers - I need your help
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:51 pm 

OK, this is my latest big project. I need a lot of help for it. It will consist of trucks, tracks and online racing. It's name: Formula MTM
This new project will hopefully be a popular new online competition. First, trucks will be made, by me, in all this year's F1 car paint schemes. Then, if enough track makers get involved, all of this year's F1 tracks will be made. After the first few are done, the compo will begin. I need 20 drivers for this. For each round, a set date will be decided. If everyone can make that date, we'll race. If not, the unavailable drivers' spaces will become free. The races will be 4 races consisting of 5 drivers and 20 laps. The rooms these races will be held in will be hosted by me and 3 other drivers. They will be private games, and prior to each race I will send the password to each participant.

Now, onto what I need help with:

Tracks - I will make some tracks and the rest will be split up between makers. Ideally, I need 9 or 10 track makers to help, that way each one will only need to make two tracks each. If people get involved, I will start asking who will make which tracks. If you don't know the tracks, I will provide you with onboard laps to show the scenery.

Trucks - I will do the paint schemes for the trucks. I will, however, need a new truck model for the project. It must be a streamlined shape, have a spoiler on the back, have slick tyres, be modern-looking, but most of all, it must look good.

Now, contact info. If you would like to make trucks for Formula MTM, PM me with the subject: Formula MTM Trucks.
If you would like to help with the tracks, PM me with the subject: Formula MTM Tracks. I am hoping for some good racers, good track makers and good truck makers to help with this.

If I do not get truck makers, we will use my own trucks. If I don't get track makers, this project will not work. If you are going to help, you must let me know before September.

So, post your opinions here and hopefully get into this project. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:53 pm 
Glow Ball

These kinds of projects are very hard to see through to completion. They take a lot of dedicated concentration, and it has to be maintained across a wide group over a sustained period of time. Tough at the best of times. For myself, I can't see the free time. I have a site and server to maintain and have not made a track of any sort for several months - haven't even opened traxx except to trouble shoot for somebody else. I'm not quitting, and no talk of this retirement stuff, but there are only twenty four hours in a day, and there's just no way I can do everything I'd like to do. The few things I do find time for (see the paint thread in truck making) I do in dribs and drabs when I get the chance. I work that way because it's something I can pick up and put down at will. And I don't mind that. But the potential work load I could take on, if I followed up on every possibility, would be enormous and I'm afraid would become such an onerus burden that surely the enjoyment would soon evaporate. So, that doesn't work well for group or team projects. Alp and I have a track over a year old, waiting til one of us does up custom textures and examines lag issues, I have two tracks that are at least four years old, the unfinished quarry track, a second evo convert, one sitting on the drawing table, a truck here and a truck there, at least two programs I'm involved with testing, and several fragments of things that are half lost and half still kicking around. And there's real life on top of that. The one time I did allow myself to get caught up in a frantic project was last year's expo, and the gang (not just me) are still in recovery mode from it. You wouldn't believe the vast effort something like that takes. I'm not saying this is a bad idea. Just trying to explain my role in things around here, and perhaps give some perspective that may help keep your feet on the ground. Over the years, there have been several collaborative truck packs, but I can't recall one being done for tracks. I've liked the work you've been doing of late, and if you pour that much effort into this new idea I'm sure it will be good. I don't know if it can grow as expansive as you want, but that shouldn't prevent you from doing what you can.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:13 pm 

Quote:
, I need 9 or 10 track makers to help,

That's a tall order......You have to figure that most track-makers already have projects going.

And finding 20 racers for the competition may be just as hard to come by.

I recommend you try just making several trucks and a few tracks for starters, then let it grow from there, if it will at all.

Quote:
Trucks - I will do the paint schemes for the trucks. I will, however, need a new truck model for the project. It must be a streamlined shape, have a spoiler on the back, have slick tyres, be modern-looking, but most of all, it must look good.

If you need a slick aero-truck to place your paint-jobs on, I have one at the Small Tires site, spoliers included:

SMALL TIRES truck page
http://mtm2.com/~bigdogge/small_tires.htm

The ST format may be more suitable for such racing anyway, versus a group of tall F1 monster trucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:02 pm 

Ok, I can make some tracks, I prefer Spa and Suzuka, can you mail me a site to see more track details :)

And I need some F1 Textures :)

btw, I love the Idea
maybe we could make a site for this event and play the games at the zone tournament room