MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

Post subject: Ramp maker program?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:23 pm 

Has anybody ever thought about a program that molds ramps around objects? I don't know the first thing about this kind of stuff, but would it be possible to create a program that lays out ramps for you?

Ramp work has always been one of the most tedious parts of drag tracks, and i always despise doing them. It would completly change track making for this game if it were possible to do, just some food for thought i guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:35 pm 
Glow Ball

I don't know if this will work for car and truck pyramids but for basic ramps the problem is simplicity.

In the game, all models are box shape, right? So, if a ramp is low on one end and high on the other, just raise the bottom end in binedit rather than lowering the top end. In game, tilt and the invisible part you hit is beneath the ground - viola, a ramp without the need of object boxes.

PS. In traxx 1.5 you can size and position object boxes using the keyboard for very precise placement.

Tip. Keys 1,2,3,4,5,6 and D/C, F/V, G/B, H/I

For an example of what can be done using keys, check out these tracks

http://mtm2.com/~tracks/tracks.cgi?s=spaceballs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:30 pm 

Yeah, i've been doing it like that myself, but the problem is, if you want a realistic feeling hit you have to add a few ramps. I like to mold ramps around my models so if there is a van the truck will act like it's hitting a van instead of gliding over. The only problem is, if the ramps aren't perfect the truck will get stuck and it takes a lot of time to get ramps smooth.

I spent hours on salinas alone and there are only a couple models to ramp yet it still has stick spots. If there were a program that perfectly molded ramps around objects it would save the day for many track makers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:24 pm 
easy company

You want to talk difficult? Take a close look at Toys in the Attic roflol.. that was done entirely with traxx 1.4 and is a big reason why traxx was upgraded to 1.5 ... easing object placing/sizing abilities not to mention the object boxes Y impact zone is 100% more accurate.

The object boxes that completely seal in the sphere in spaceballs was done in less than a day with the keys. easy once you get used to it and it will seem a lot less tedious if you do the object boxes as you ad the models, one at a time instead of a big pile near the end.

Call me weird but i've always enjoyed creating the impact areas on odd shaped models.. it's an important part of track making imo.

And yes a program could be made to place them for you but you're asking for something that would take many many hours to perfect. :)