MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

Post subject: HELP!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 1:53 pm 

I am having a problem... not strictly a Binedit problem, more of a missing .bins prob.
I've never come across this before and I'm a little stumped. The last couple of days, when using Traxx, I have been unable to load some of the stock models. An example is Stlite.bin.....
When I load it into the Models box I see no little picture and the number of vertices and polygons read 0 and 0!
Yet when I insert the (invisible) model and load the track pod into MTM2, sure enough the model is there! But it remains invisible in Traxx so I cannot change it's properties or orientation. Likewise, if I try to open the same model in Binedit I get and error message informing me that it is an unknown bin type 0x0....
Something has gone astray yet I can't figure out what... the .bin is in the models directory and the .act and .raw files in the Art directory.
Apart from reinstalling MTM2 has anyone got any ideas?

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 3:36 pm 
Glow Ball

Haven't quite heard of this problem before, but you are describing a few things so let's go over what we know for sure and see if that can't get us closer to the answer.

The start light, arenas and a couple other models will not load into Binedit. The face type is the problem. I think what is happening here is that binedit was written for the most part before these new face types came into use. Oliver Pieper updated Binedit so it could read the shiny face types of the mtm2 trucks but that's where he stopped.

Traxx will not display objects that have over 1024 verticies. They still load into the track but they don't show while you're working on it. But this is not the start light.

Do you get any error messages? There is a glitch between traxx 1.4 and windows. The workaround is to turn on the option that allows you to see the file extension for all files. You do that in windows folder options. But unless you're getting error messages, this probably is not the problem.

Double check or reset the traxx folder options. Make sure art is point to your art folder and that models is pointing to the models folder. Sounds obvious, don't it. But it could be that the game is reading the start light from another pod, whereas traxx cannot.

Off the top, that's all I can think of. I'd be open to somebody with more ideas.

In the meantime, let us know your progress.

------------------
- Phineus

Edit note. Don't reinstall. It is highly unlikely that will help anything. So, save yourself the trouble.

[This message has been edited by Phineus (edited 07-03-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 5:55 pm 

Thanks for the reply, however as I stated I don't think it's a Binedit problem. Also, after trying your suggestion of checking the folder options in Traxx, not a Traxx problem either.
I also tried the "show all files" option in Windoze... oops I meant Windows.
I am REALLY tempted to reinstall MTM2!

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:11 am 
Glow Ball

Yes, those sound like the next steps.

1. use the dlls
2. re-extract from the track your drawing on
3. try a clean start (possibly before and after each step just to help pin point where the problem was)

If worse comes to worse, try deleting traxx and unzipping it again from the download zip. And, scandisk seldom hurts.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2000 4:11 pm 

Hey guys! Thanks for all your useful suggestions. My problem is now solved. The thing that did it was re-extracting the pods. Of course this was AFTER everything else! Image Including loading the dlls, cleaning my desk off WK Image And taking the 'pute to pieces, giving it a thorough vacuuming, extracting the cobwebs etc...
However, this did give the chance to install a second drive that's been gathering dust for the last year, and fix the restart button that had disappeared inside the computer (after I "pressed" it a little too hard following my 3rd crash in a row some weeks ago)!
I did notice that all the "invisible" bins had the same date when I checked to see if they contained any data in Explorer, so I guess they must've got corrupted somehow...
and before ya say it, yes I did a thorough virus check (as I do frequently).
Once again, thanks guys. I guess this topic can be closed now.

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

[This message has been edited by EmceeMart (edited 09-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by EmceeMart (edited 09-03-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2000 5:43 am 

Well, I don't really know how to solve the problem, but I know that its not because of art. If the art isn't therem it still loads, but it is just blue, and the track won't work in MTM2, because of the missing texture. However, what it could be, is perhaps, some sort of virus or bug in Binedit or the files... Maybe you could ask someone to give you the files again? Oh, by the way, I noticed that on my C: there are some bins that came with the comp... they must have something to do with the computer, but I am wondering what... I guess it doesn't really matter, I'm just curious... anyway, Binedit won't load them, and its not like the comp came with any 3D games that might need them, so what could they be... Theres another in my Motocross Madness Folder, but it doesn't use BINs... binedit doesn't load it either. I am thinking that one might be a terrain or shadow orientation file, or reflection file, but that doesn't shed any light on the C: bins... Does anyone know anything about this?

------------------
-Wipeout

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2000 5:55 am 
Glow Ball

c: bins are not models, they are probably the drivespace.bin files used for hard disk management. Totally different kind of file but uses the same extension. Probably best to leave them alone.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2000 1:32 am 

i reloaded mt computer from scratch but loaded backup file of traxx .I couldnt get to any of my tracks i finally figured out somehow they got changed to read only ,must be set to archive to edit:<).