MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:48 am

Post subject: Unsupported face types
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2000 1:46 pm 
I've never really had the time to mess with bin edit that much, resizing, changing
textures on existing bins is about at far as I've delved, But I do have a question. The games Hellbender and Terminal Velocity have bins that binedit won't open. Most of the time it gives an error that it is an unsupported face type. My questions are, what program is used to make these bins in the first place and is there anyway to see what they are at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2000 3:45 pm 

re: a way

I know exactly what you mean. Some time ago an idea occured to me, I tried it, but I was fumbling in an area I really know nothing about and had no success, if someone else tried it it might work.

(Seems to me there might even be some unviewable bins in the mtm2 pods? I might be wrong.)

The idea was to edit the unviewable bin with a hex editor and change the face type value manually. For instance 0x18 is a normal mtm face type. So IF you can figure out all the "file offset" stuff you might be able to search and replace the face type values within the bin. I did manage to change a face type in an existing mtm2 bin but had no luck in changing the types in one of those unsupported bins -- it could be they are not quite what we assume them to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2000 4:27 am 

I'm not sure what tools were originally used for making TV and Hellbender models, some commercial 3D modeling program like 3D Studio Max I would guess, since that is what TRI has been using recently (with an export plug-in they have recently released with the Fly! and Nocturne editors).

BinEdit is very good about giving you the "file offset stuff". When you try to open a bin and get the error message "unsupported face type xxxx at ddd(0xhhh)" the "at" value is the byte number in the file that BinEdit tried to read as a "face type". (ddd is the decimal value, the (oxhhh) value is just the same thing in hex)

If you open the file in HexWorkshop, it shows you which byte the cursor is at, (in the lower right i believe).

It would be interesting to try changing them, but WK is right and they may not be faces at all. It is just that BinEdit is expecting to read a face type value in that particular byte.