MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

Post subject: Model Cutting
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 1:44 pm 

OK, I'm working on a new track, and its kind of a futuristic race... I don't really want to give away my ideas, or I'd go into detail of why I need to do this, but anyway, here it goes...

I need to have a half-pipe model for my track (you drive on it at one point. I could make it out of terrain, but then its kinda ugly, doesn't work how I want it to, and, wouldn't work as well period (because of the required 'terrain halfpipe' size)... Anyway, rather than spending time making a halfpipe, I want to take an exisiting model and cut it in half, deleting the top half.

Now, I know there is a way to make half a model and mirror it, creating a full one (with perfect symetry too... nice) but, is there any way to reverse this effect and cut a model in half? If you know of a way, please tell me...

------------------
-Wipeout

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 2:20 pm 
Glow Ball

yep, create a round model using bin-masta's tire_maker program, the use ctrl+x to get rid of the parts you don't want. piece of cake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 10:53 pm 

Wipeout, I hope you know you won't be able to drive on it. Models are either large, solid, rectangular blocks (defined by the outermost vertices) or they are no collide. Driving on the visible faces of a model is naught but a dream for us. :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 4:33 am 

Hehe, I know bud... but, with some work, it could be done... I might need to do a bit of rethinking, but..

------------------
-Wipeout

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2000 12:56 pm 

It'll be a LOT of work, I'll say that much. I've done it before, but it's hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2000 7:06 pm 

What Mike204 did (i think) was have one 2d model and every time stacked it on top of the other at a slight angle and evetually when it got over 90 it started to go round in a circle - sought of like what ws done in zoon kitchen with them pizza madness boxes you drive on or obes warehouse with the crates.

Whatever way you choose its very hard to make monster trucks drive up it all the way. with the use of elevators its possible though

------------------
---> HAC-MAN
---> Keep On Hackin'
---> Hacman@start.com.au
---> Http://Come.to/HMTM2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2000 10:56 am 

Yeah, that's the right idea, but the problem with that is that MTM has no centrifugal force. I believe that Zoon himself found this out too, but when you hit 90, the physics stop being realistic, and you fall. Oh well... I forget what I was doing when I tried that, but it was one of the very first things I tried when Traxx was brand new (but most of you wouldn't remember that). I did do a track with a halfpipe, but I believe it was some 700 feet across. Made for some pretty awesome stunts! I'd be careful with using flat models, as the slightest gap can stop your truck DEAD.