MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am

Post subject: TXBin
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 5:31 am 

This isnt BinEdit related, but It has to do with bin creation...

Anyways, I've been trying to make a 2D bin, using TXBin, because I am BinEdit illiterate Image

I must be doing something wrong, is there a tutorial somewhere showing how to properly using this thing...like details about the texture and stuff. Everytime I try to create a bin, it put out the .bin, but when I try to load the bin in binedit, it crashes binedit, and when I try to load it in Traxx, it says the texture is bad!

Anyone familiar with this program?

------------------
You Can't Break The Broken!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 6:38 am 
easy company

first of all let me say that at first binedit seems like a difficult program to learn but compared to Zmodeler, Lightwave, or 3DSM it's as simple as it can get :o) ...just takes a little time to get accostomed to it is all.... there's tons of info on it that breaks it down to simple steps to get you started at the mtmg...

it's been a looonnng time since I've used txbin but it's a great little util... belows prbably the best help you'll find for it http://rhinoseros.com/~mtmg/binedit/txbin.html

.... now the reason binedit crashes when you try to open your bin is more than likely because it cannot find the associated art files (act n raw) and is the same reason traxx says bad texture... the art is missing, or the prefferences are not set in binedit or traxx.

to set the preff's in binedit simply click on File/Prefferences... then from the pop-up window click the browse button and locate the folders that contain the needed files respectively.. for instance mine's set up like this...

ACT Palette Files METALCR2.ACT is the common file that binedit needs to run)
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Monster Truck Madness 2\Bin Edit\METALCR2.ACT

BIN Models
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Monster Truck Madness 2\MODELS

RAW and ACT Files
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Monster Truck Madness 2\ART

TRK Files only used for importing trucks
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Monster Truck Madness 2\TRUCK

once those are set properly I'm sure you'll be able to open up the bins no problem.... in short traxx and binedit cannot open your bin model unless they know where the art files are located for it.

hope that helped

<font size=1>Edited by Malibu350 (25-12-2002)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 8:09 am 

The settings have always been correct in Traxx and BinEDIT. They only crash when I try to load this certain model into them. As for the tutorial, that is exactly what I am doing, I dont understand it. I am treating it just as I would with a truck texture, so I dont know what could be the problem. I have it saved as a 256x256 .RAW with a .PAL and .ACT, but still wont work.

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:09 am 
easy company

OK..

the only other thing I can think of that would cause this problem is that the bin is associated with more than one texture and one is missing... are you familiar with MDMRE's bin texture replacer? if so you can load the bin up in it and see if it's associated with more than one texture, and if it is then it can be fixed with the same utillity.

hmmmm, one more thing, be sure the texture and/or bin names do not use more than 8 characters each... (you probably know that but I need to cover all the bases :o)

I'd be more than happy to take a look at the bin if you'd like, just email the files to me at... malibu350@karf.net and I'll take a look if you still have probs with it.

one way or another we'll get it fixed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 12:23 pm 

Well, after the 3rd try, deleting everything and starting over, I got it to work, thanks Mal! Now, I need to learn how to make 3D bins in BinEDIT lol

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:24 am 

Glad to see you jumping on the Binedit train, bro. Once you learn the "buttons & switches", you will discover how simple a modeling program it is. Just think wayyy back to when you used to play with tinker-toys...heh heh...

If there is ANY problem with the bin or raw/act files, then Binedit will crash or close. It's very intolerant.

When I can't get it to load a BIN, the first thing I do is open the bin in HexWorkShop, and check all the RAW file names listed in it. To do so, start HSW, load the BIN, press F3, type in "RAW" as a search word, then press F3 repeatedly to find all the RAW filenames listed in the BIN. This is how you can tell what textures are applied to that BIN model.

On occasion, I see a RAW listed in a new BIN that isn't in my art folder. This bin will not open in Binedit.

Any bin that has no RAW files listed will not open in Binedit.

Only .OBJ models can be opened in Binedit (using open wavefront), and only after selecting a texture for the program to wrap around it for display purposes (it maps the entire RAW to each face).

And never use IMPORT to open a model. Use OPEN.

Use IMPORT to add a BIN to a BIN, such as adding a scrapyard part to an existing BIN model.

------------------
-BigDOGGe's Boneyard...The Best Custom Trucks in MTM2 -
http://mtm2.com/~bigdogge/

<font size=1>Edited by ZOtm_BigDOGGe (29-12-2002)</font>