MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

Post subject: Texture
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:29 pm 

how does it turn out whether a part of texture is made transparently? Please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:37 am 
Glow Ball

The black part of a texture is transparent. But you must also use a transparent face type in binedit. To do that, select the faces you want transparent by pressing the F key. Then goto Groups>Set group face type, and select 0x33 Transparent color #0 (mtm2). Then deselect the faces and save.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:46 am 

Also, the area to be transparent has to be totally black (RGB 0,0,0).

Some experimentation may be necessary to be successful, as in many cases surfaces of any color may become transparent if viewed through the transparent surface in the forground.

For instance, I made a gravedigger variation with a semi-transparent body. You can see the engine inside through the open back or windows, but when seen from the side through the transparent body, the engine disappears and you see and empty frame.

It has to do with the order that the transparent surfaces are rendered ,or drawn on the monitor screen. Models with transparent surfaces should be the last thing added to a truck model. The last surfaces inserted into 0r added to a model seem to be the last surfaces of the truck that the game software will render.

To creat an illusion of transparency, the software engine just skips rendering areas that are black (rgb 0,0,0) if the face type is set to transparent. This way, the "transparent" pixels aren't "painted" over the surfaces in the background directly behind it, simulating a transparent area resembling clear glass.

If the transparent surfaces are rendered first, then for some reason the software will not rennder the pixels of faces directly behind the transparent surfaces, regardless of their color. This creats the disappearing faces problem with transparent windows.

I've used this info with success. That's why you can still see the truck through the rotating propeller blades on my TORNADO and SLASHER animated trucks, even though the propeller and cutters respectively are just painted on a disk, with black areas painted between the blades. The whole disk is set to transparent face type (mtm2), and the disk model (propeller or blades) were the last BIN I inserted to the main truck model before saving it.

Even with this method, I'm not 100% successful. It may take several attempts. Like I said...experiment a LOT!

------------------
- BigDOGGe's Boneyard ...The Best Custom Trucks in MTM2 -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:51 pm 

Sorry, I forgot to write I'm using mtm1.
Can mtm1 use "0x33 Transparent color #0 (mtm2)" ?
If you know how to make it, please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:52 am 
Glow Ball

My friend, you have to open binedit before any of this can help you.

> Can mtm1 use "0x33 Transparent color #0 (mtm2)" ?

No. Then you'd use "0x11 Transparent color #0 (mtm1)".

http://rhinoseros.com/~mtmg/binedit/facetypes.html

But as has already been explained, you must paint the parts of the texture you want transparent black (RGB 0,0,0). Then, set the face type. That's one problem, two steps, one solution.

p.s. BigDogge, nice notes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:24 pm 

I succeeded in making a texture transparent.
Thank you,Phineus and ZOtm_BigDOGGe. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:36 am 

to convert a texture or a bunch of textures to non transparent (aka take all transparent and change to black) use my untransparatize program availible at my donwload page :)
Very convienent when u want to remove those pesky holes in yourr black textures.

------------------
Visit my site