MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

Post subject: I need help with .OBJ files,wana use it in binedit
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:07 pm 
Hello dudes and dudettes
I know there is a way to use .obj models in binedit.
So far i can load it and dont have a error message(geuss the model must be in there)but i dont see it.
Onan told me that i need to put the textures from those models in the right map than load the .obj model,But i need a small proramm wut he could not find anymore or else he would sent it to me.
Now i wana know iff there is someone who know what program i need and how do i use it or is there another way to use my .obj objects in binedit.
thanks so far
OLD_FlatWheels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:08 pm 

>> So far i can load it and dont have a error message(geuss the model must be in there)but i dont see it.

In that case, I assume you are loading it correctly - ie selecting Import Wavefront... from the File menu. (BTW, what version BINedit are you using here? Different versions handle the .OBJ importing a bit differently.)

Have you tried clicking the Fit button? When you first import the .OBJ file, the view will likely be zoomed out a fair way - if it's a small model, you might not be able to see it; ditto if it's very large. Clicking the Fit button will zoom the view so that the model fits on-screen nicely.

------------------
Please use the brake provided and not the vehicle in front of you.
- V8 Challenge online racing guidelines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:39 pm 

As for not seeing it, I'm sure Drive2Survive has nailed it.

Generally, here is a good OBJ importing scheme to follow:
- Load a texture.
- Import the wavefront (OBJ).
- Zoom to fit.
- Remove unused vertices.
- Resize - keep proportion, use 22 as the largest value.
- Save as BIN.
- Work from there - which means mapping the model to texture(s) at the very least. Unfortunately, no version of BINedit will import the texture coordinates of OBJ files.

As for the 'other program' you mention, the only thing I can guess is that it involves converting the texture the OBJ uses into a RAW image file. In which case might be <a href=http://members.bellatlantic.net/~racis/fly/>Fly RawGUI</a>, a BMP to RAW / RAW to BMP converter.

Useful links:
<a href=http://rhinoseros.com/~mtmg/binedit/>BINedit at MTMG</a>
<a href=http://mtm2.com/~d2s/binedit/>The BINedit Resource</a>
<a href=http://mtm2.com/~binedit/>BINedit</a>
Good luck.

<font size=1>Edited by Winterkill (30-03-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:07 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Generally, here is a good OBJ importing scheme to follow:
- Load a texture.
- Import the wavefront (OBJ).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Newer versions don't require a pre-loaded texture (using 1.02 here). I just select IMPORT WAVEFRONT, select my desired .obj file, and then Binedit will show the ART folder and ask which RAW-texture to apply to it. Binedit won't map it properly by default, but rather the entire texture is mapped to each polygon (FACE). Resize the model as mentioned, then remap properly.

I use .OBJ files made from TIRE-MAKER all the time. Some object models I've found on other sites don't work well in Binedit, depending on polygon-count (and/or vertix count).

------------------
- BigDOGGe's Boneyard ...The Best Custom Trucks in MTM2 -

<font size=1>Edited by ZOtm_BigDOGGe (30-03-2003)</font>

<font size=1>Edited by ZOtm_BigDOGGe (30-03-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:15 pm 
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drive2Survive:
<B>>> So far i can load it and dont have a error message(geuss the model must be in there)but i dont see it.

In that case, I assume you are loading it correctly - ie selecting Import Wavefront...</B> from the [b]File menu. (BTW, what version BINedit are you using here? Different versions handle the .OBJ importing a bit differently.)

Have you tried clicking the Fit button? When you first import the .OBJ file, the view will likely be zoomed out a fair way - if it's a small model, you might not be able to see it; ditto if it's very large. Clicking the Fit button will zoom the view so that the model fits on-screen nicely.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use binedit version 1.02 and have it from the site from onan,that 1 should handle .obj?

Before i can load .obj i need to load a texture,so first i load some texture(dont care wut as long i know it have no black in it)than i load in my .obj,after that i did that resize(zoom) and saw the "small balls" move over the x-y-z direction,but there is still nothing to see.
im sure it was not to small or to big it was just invisible
thx so far :-)
flatwheels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:05 am 

If you'd like, email me a copy of the OBJ file, and I'll see if I can load ii successfully. That should let you know if it's a buggy or imcompatible file.

send to: ZOtm_BigDOGGe@yahoo.com

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:04 am 

I'm curious how this all came out....I never received an email.....

------------------