MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

Post subject: BinMapper and Join
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:30 pm 
Glow Ball

I'm working on a curved surface, think sphere if it helps. I define two groups, each forming a stripe so to speak around the curve and both are next to each other. I select both groups but in the mapper they form a skinning arc, not wide open faces. I arrange them so it looks like there's a grid of triangles stretched between three verticle lines - the middle line acting as the connection between the two stripes. Click okay, but the mapping is skewed and poor. Not surprising since the mess of mapping lines was a snarl to untangle. So, instead I select one group and map it to half the texture, then the other group to the other half. Now I select both and open the binmapper. The result is much like I had before but now the points are in what look like the correct places. I move the middle points so they overlap one another and hit join. Now all my points get rearranged and the mapping is good but less than perfect.

The question. What does join do? What's it supposed to do? Is this a correct application for it?

Pictures, models or both available if necessary.

Thanks.

[ edit ] Ah, I get it. I tried it on smaller groups and I see that the points of faces sharing the same vertices are what get joined. Okay, so that means I didn't have things lined up as nicely as I thought. Hence the apparent scramble. But I got it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:03 pm 
easy company

Join and Layout basicaly do the same thing except for the 'laying out' of the vertice points in relationship to the models current geometry. This feature is especially helpfull with newly created models or imported wavefronts that have no prior mapping history.

I'm working on getting a more comprehensive explanation for you, so bear with me my calculus is a bit rusty... non exsistant even lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:06 pm 
Glow Ball

I re-worded the help page

http://binedit.com/help/binmapperwindow.shtml

Thanks.