MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:27 pm 

is there a good tutorial you can link me to for texture mapping in binedit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:26 pm 
easy company

Not for BE2. The basics of mapping is to 'tag' the faces you want to map on your model then open the mapper up.

To tag faces you can use the space bar to cycle through all the faces on the model and hitting the "F" key to tag the ones you want to map one by one (tagged faces are tinted green). Or, you can press Ctrl+A to select all the faces on the model and map the whole thing at once, this only works well on very simple models such as a sign. (note Ctrl+D deselects all faces)... You can also "select by facing" from the 'face' menu drop down.

I really should make a tutorial up but I'm lazy lol... It's pretty straight forward tho and I'm sure you'll catch on quickly if you mess around with some test models and get used to the mapping tools and their functions.

If you have any specific questions please start a new thread in the binedit forum.. I'll be happy to help out but don't want to clutter up Whynni's thread here any more than I have already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:34 pm 

This is a simplified graphic tutorial I made a few years ago on how to map portions of a model using Binedit version 1.X.....version 2 is similar, except for having buttons for selecting Vertex-selection, move and resize modes, but it should gibve you a basic idea of how texture mapping in B.E. is done...

Read Mal's text on how to select the faces/polys to be mapped, then review my graphics

----------------------------- Binedit version 2 --------------------------------

With B.E. 2.X. you have to pre-select which vertices you want to position using handy tool buttons...

To move one vertex, select the MOVE button, position the cursor on the vertix, press & hold the left mouse button and move the mouse.

To move vertices in groups, you must pre-select the vertices. Selected vertices will turn from green to red.

To quickly select closely positioned vertices, position the cursor near on of them, press and hold the left M-button, then drag a dotted-line box around all the vertices you wish to manipulate.

To work with all the vertices in the window (the entire mesh), double-click once anywhere in the mapping window (all vert. will turn red). Single-click to de-select all (the vert. will turn green).

To resize the mesh smaller, select all the vertices, click the resize button, then position the cursor on top of a vertex near the top-right of the mesh, click and hold the left M-button and drag down and to the left.

To reposition the mesh, , select all the vertices, click the move button, then position the cursor on top of any vertex, click and hold the left M-button, and move the mouse.

With BE 2.X, you will see the textures on the model change in real time as you reposition the mesh. older versions don't show results until you move the mesh and close the mapping window (making version 2.X better for texture mapping.

I hope all this is helpful...experiment, and have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:40 am 

This is all VERY helpful Dogge! Especially for a guy who is working on another truck right now...Thanks!

One thing that is helpful is to save a specified vertex or face group. Select a certain group of vertices (like on shocks), then hit groups/vertex groups. Type a name (i.e. front shocks), and save.

If you need to make adjustments, you can click groups/vertex groups/front shocks/load. It will automatically load the vertex group (in this case, where the front shocks are), allowing you to tweak and move that group.

For faces, select the certain group of faces (like on the hood of a truck). Select groups/face goups, type a name (i.e. hood faces), and save.

If you come back after making adjustments to your paint job (in this case for the hood), and need to load the hood face groups: you can click groups/face groups/hood faces/load. It will automatically load the face group (in this case, where the hood is), allowing you to map the hood paint to your truck's hood.

Hey Dogge, what's the latest and best version of Binedit?

"On this day I'm telling you to get outa my way cause I'm coming through. Talk big all you want it's all bark and no bite cause I'm the one winning while you're talking all hype".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:36 am 

top of the list at http://www.binedit.com (v2.0 tr23)

According to Malibu350, there's a new version in the works with TRK file modding features and more in the works....No word on when it will be out though.

Saving face and vertex groups is good advice, but I like to take it even farther and keep items like shocks and such as separate models for faster vertex/face selection and model relocation purposes. For example, here's the components of my last 77 Ford truck:

It's easy to assemble the separate parts into a complete truck for inspection purposes in Binedit or for [podding to inspect in the game. Then, if I see something that needs further attention, I just load up that component alone in B.E. for rework or repositioning.

This method saves me the trouble of having to cycle through all the faces or vertices of the full model just to reach the vertices/polys I need to work on (sometimes the portions I need to rework aren't pre-saved in any groups, such as having to reposition a single or sub-group of vertices).

-----------

This also makes it easier to fit parts together properly without anything overlapping (such as frame tubes passing through exhaust pipes, etc...)

and for shock positioning, I just load the shocks alone into tracked2 to line them up with the non-removable struts (after lining the axles/wheels up with the body by modding the trk file). If the shocks are out of position, then I open them in BE again and reposition 'em, repeating this process until they are where I want them. It's easier to see their postion in Tracked2 when I don't have portions of the full model blocking my view of all four wheel positions.

Finally, it's important to place any polys with transparent textures on the model last, to prevent any surfaces behind the transparent faces from disappearing. My method makes that easy (the spark plug cables were the last item I inserted on the 1932 Dodge during final assembly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:33 pm 

That too, but in my case I meant loading up vertex groups fast and simple after the shocks have been placed on the frame and the file saved. That way, if the shocks need to be moved, you can load the vertex groups easy, make the change, and save.

I know what your talking about though Dogge. Always good advice and friendly help.

"On this day I'm telling you to get outa my way cause I'm coming through. Talk big all you want it's all bark and no bite cause I'm the one winning while you're talking all hype".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:53 pm 

man thats a lot of information... thanks guys. ill save this page. a lot of times i might end up downloading 3ds models and converting them... this would really help in mapping them as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:44 am 

Avoid using the borders of textures.
This causes visible seams (especially on large objects like buildings).