MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:35 am

Post subject: Textures
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:50 am 

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the making of a Dodge Ram/Grave Digger MTM1 hybrid, for another member. I got the Ram front and the Digger body together a treat, but I was wondering... how can I create a brand-new texture file for this new model? I'd like to paint the Ram front like Grave Digger's. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:08 am 

Well your question as posed is kinda hard to understand, lol.

Quote:
how can I create a brand-new texture file for this new model?

In PSP (or whatever your paint program), click the File menu and select New, then specify an image size of 256x256 pixels, and that's basically it. Paint it and save it as you would if you were repainting a texture (only more so as you need to construct the details rather than just change colours over them).

Or, open an existing texture, optionally blank it out, save to a new name and again paint it and save as you would for a repaint.

I understand you want to paint the Dodge front with Grave Digger flames and artwork, so prolly what you mean (or what you think) is to combine the Rampage and Digger textures together?
  • You could start a blank texture as above, then open both Digger and Rampage textures, and copy-and-paste the bits from each that you want to keep, i.e. copy the front from Rampage, and most the rest from Digger, and paste them into your new image. It may require some work to get everything to fit.
  • Or, just open the Digger and Rampage textures, copy the front out of Rampage and paste it onto the Digger texture - again it may be tricky getting everything to fit, but you should basically be able to paste Rampage's nose over the space in the texture used for Digger's nose with maybe a bit of resizing. The advantage is you'll keep the existing layout of the Digger textures, so you won't have to remap as much of your model.
Then you'll return to BinEdit to swap the Digger and Rampage textures with your one new texture, and remap the front hood and probably the grille and bumper to the right areas of the texture.
  • You could even just remap the hood to the appropriate area of the original Digger texture, and leave it at that without even making a new texture. There should be a clear edge of the faces between the truck grille and bumper, which you want to keep, and the hood and fenders which you want to change - so you can just remap that part without changing the nose (unless you wanted to paint green around the headlights and edge of the grille to make it match, instead of the current black). The downside of that though is that most of the model is mapped to the Digger texture and just a part of it to the Rampage texture. That's not as efficient as it could be as you usually want to minimise the number of textures used. Though as I recall the MTM1 trucks used only 1 texture any, and bumping it up to 2 is hardly being unmanageable (after all that's what the stock MTM2 trucks use). But that may be something to consider.

All the above assumes you're happy just applying the original Digger hood texture over the Dodge hood. Since they're different shapes it may not appear to fit. But since the truck is black with minimal painted body features it should probably look fine.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you get into scratch painting which is kinda also what answers your question (how to go from a blank canvas to something you can map onto your truck model), but I think is getting way too far along for what you want. But regardless, you may be ideas from the following resources:

A discussion on truck painting: http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?t=2940
references the advanced tutorial from here: http://mtm2.com/~d2s/binedit/ where I made an entirely new model and then needed to create entirely new textures to map to it.

Cale's excellent PSP7 advanced paint tutorial: http://cownap.com/~mtmg/trucks/psp7.html

For what you want though, I would recommend you go with the number 2 process I outlined - make a copy of the Digger texture saved to a new name, and repaint the nose (presumably by copy-and-pasting from the Rampage texture, and colour changing) and apply it to your truck, remapping it to the Dodge hood and front as appropriate.

Hope that helps some, feels like I must have made it much more complicated... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:15 am 

Oh, my god... :lol: You know what? I think I'll abandon this project. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:12 pm 

No way dude, it's not that complicated... I think I totally just made it sound harder than it should be...

If you can convert the Digger and Rampage textures to say a gif, and then post them here, I can show you what I mean :)
(Edit: or I can grab them off my MTM1 disc myself, whichever comes first)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:06 am 

Sorry, it's too late now... I've completely given up lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:51 am 

Well that's no good. Not on account of just that big post I made, I hope :(

IMO the best way to learn is by pushing the boundaries of what you can currently do. When I started out I had a model with a rollbar I wanted to move. Initially I wasn't prepared to even try to learn BinEdit, but eventually I wanted my truck badly enough to listen to the instructions I was given and figure it out - that one step took me to doing bigger and better things putting models together. Your case, you repainted an existing truck by a template and then asked for help fixing a coloured part of it, which became a first taste of remapping. Finishing this Dodge Digger would be just an incremental step on that: repainting beyond the template, and more exposure to remapping.

But whatever, that's your decision mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:26 am 

Sorry, but I didn't really want this truck. It was a request by another member that I decided to have a shot at.

Plus I think it's quite disrespectful to the legend...