MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:02 pm

Post subject: How do I get BinEdit to export?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:38 am 

I want to convert the ship models from the old game Terminal Velocity so I can "pimp them out" in trueSpace (adding details, better textures etc) for eventual use in FreeSpace SCP.

The latest beta of BinEdit won't extract anything from the Terminal Velocity pod files, so I did that with Dragon Unpacker.

Then BinEdit will open the bin files and prompts for the textures, which it won't load automatically even after it's been pointed to the folder where they are.

So now I have the "beautiful" TV-202 (SHIP.BIN in STARTUP.POD in the shareware version) in pixelated color (shareware only has 64x64 textures) onscreen.

But when I try any of the three options under export, nothing happens. Shouldn't I get a dialog box prompting for where to save the file?

Older versions of BinEdit were used to create the models for Terminal Velocity, Fury^3 and Hellbender.

P.S. I looked through all the pages in this BinEdit forum and saw someone wanting bad models. There's a couple in the Terminal Velocity shareware that won;t load into BinEdit due to bad faces. COCKMDL.BIN and COCKSIMP.BIN in STARTUP.POD (The music playing during the game setup screens is SEX.MOD, I assume these are a bit of a rude easter egg... ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:42 am 
Glow Ball

> Older versions of BinEdit were used to create ...

No they weren't.

The most recent version of binedit is a beta version and is not finished yet. If you want to export to wavefront or vrml then you'd have to use the older version of binedit. Alternately, you can try zmodeler.

The wonky file names are an abbreviation for the cockpit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:22 am 

The older version wouldn't export either. What finally made it work was I rotated the model 90 degrees on one axis, went to save but did NOT save. Then I exited BinEdit.

When I relaunched BinEdit and re-opened the model, it was rotated out of position. I rotated it back where it was originally and saved it as a Hellbender model.

Then I decided to try the export option again and it finally gave me a save dialog box and I saved it as an .obj file.