MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:27 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Anyone know how to export trucks to view in Vive?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:37 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 2:01 pm
Posts: 97
Location: California
I got an HTC Vive when they came out a few months ago and have really been enjoying it. Someone came up with a program that lets you view Sketchup models in VR, very slick, view as a model on a table, then zoom in to view scale size. When I was looking at some it hit me that there might be a way to view MTM 2 trucks in VR also, would be so cool to walk around a truck and feel the scale of it.

I tried the BinEdit export to .obj files, but it loses the texture mapping. Am I just doing it wrong?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know how to export trucks to view in Vive?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:32 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:09 pm
Posts: 139
I used to work with MTM2 models in a program called Lightwave modeler, it's a 3D CAD modeling program..this was like 10 years ago back when I was actually interested in making trucks and stuff, but I only made a couple models with it, here's the thing: With that program, I could export 3D models from binedit and work with the files in Lightwave and make extremely detailed MTM2 models, making great looking models and stuff, like it's easier to work with than binedit, make more polys in a truck with more detail, it was a way better modeling program than Binedit. The problem though was you're right, once you export the model to a different program, the texture is gone. You try to import it back into binedit, you got no texture, or so that's the problem I had with Lightwave..I mean maybe you could do it with your pgoram, I could be wrong..but, I had a problem with it too, I used Lightwave, but this is modern times, so "maybe" you could do it? Like I said, this was like 10-15 years ago back in like 2002 or so, that's about when I was interested in modeling trucks. That's when I had the texture problem though.

The lid that pops off the top of the can:
http://www.rightguard.com/wp-content/up ... _8.5oz.png

I was never any good at texture so I gave up truck making lol, it was the modeling I loved ;)

(the top part that pops off...the lid..in 3D):
It's got the clips, and hooks and stuff that hold it on and stuff (in 3D), haha don't believe me go buy a can of right guard for yourself and see what the lid looks like it'll look just like this 2nd picture, but obviously a color of some kind, (problem is the texture goes away). Old picture of Lightwave I have, no texture on it the lid, I couldn't figure out how to texture in Lightwave, but I was good at modeling in Lightwave:
http://i.imgur.com/1954pzE.jpg

That lid was something I made in 3D a long time ago..a lid of a Right Guard deodorant can..unfortunately I don't have the file(s) any more for the lid, I didn't back them up on my ISP's ftp server like I backed up the files for the vehicles:

Here's one of the models I never actually completed, a 2002 Camaro SS, because it was too much work I was going into too much detail, apparently I never got around to finishing it, but I still have the files:
http://i.imgur.com/HSgsA6k.jpg

Like I said, no texture because I used Lightwave not Binedit, and also..
..and this one is my favorite because this is why I even did 3D modeling..the finished product :D ...though I don't know HOW I could have forgotten to do the grille on the front.
http://i.imgur.com/VmwEhR0.jpg

But again, no texture, I made the model from absolute scratch in Lightwave, started with nothing, zilch, zero, and imported it into Binedit, but didn't have any texture files when it got there. So it's blank, nothing on the truck. It's a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 but the grill could have been better, should have been better. I was a teenager. This was more of just a summer hobby I got interested in one day, OnaN fixed the grill for me and textured the truck for me, so it looks good in game:
http://i.imgur.com/UiQ4OSg.jpg

Looks like he modified the length of the cab too.

The Camaro is incomplete and the Dodge Ram is finished, strange but I don't know how that happened, I guess I sort of lost interest in it, like it became too much work or I ended up going back to school and lost interest in it, or the thought of having to texture the Lightwave models for MTM2 took my mind and I didn't want to do it any more, but it was a fun interesting hobby. I probably could have done that for a job if the pay was right, who knows how much those guys make. I'm a little slow at it though lol, gotta have patience for it though that's for sure..unless it's just me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know how to export trucks to view in Vive?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:08 am 
MTM2 Engineer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:19 pm
Posts: 1280
Location: Valparaíso, Chile.
As far as I remember, OBJ files have no texture mapping info. I remember using Sketchup for modeling, then importing it in Binedit in OBJ format, and mapping it from there. I guess your best shot is using Z-Modeler 1 to open the BIN file and then try to convert it to a format that keeps the mapping.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know how to export trucks to view in Vive?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:09 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:23 pm
Posts: 45
Location: United States
Kmaster wrote:
As far as I remember, OBJ files have no texture mapping info. I remember using Sketchup for modeling, then importing it in Binedit in OBJ format, and mapping it from there. I guess your best shot is using Z-Modeler 1 to open the BIN file and then try to convert it to a format that keeps the mapping.


Wow, I didn't know that you can use Google Sketchup for making custom mods for Terminal Reality's video games.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know how to export trucks to view in Vive?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:59 pm 
MTM2 Engineer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:19 pm
Posts: 1280
Location: Valparaíso, Chile.
4x4EvolutionFan wrote:
Kmaster wrote:
As far as I remember, OBJ files have no texture mapping info. I remember using Sketchup for modeling, then importing it in Binedit in OBJ format, and mapping it from there. I guess your best shot is using Z-Modeler 1 to open the BIN file and then try to convert it to a format that keeps the mapping.


Wow, I didn't know that you can use Google Sketchup for making custom mods for Terminal Reality's video games.


You can use whatever 3D modelling software you want, as long as you can export your work to Wavefront OBJ format. Then you can import it in Binedit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know how to export trucks to view in Vive?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:33 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:23 pm
Posts: 45
Location: United States
Kmaster wrote:

You can use whatever 3D modelling software you want, as long as you can export your work to Wavefront OBJ format. Then you can import it in Binedit.


Cool! I never knew the game was that versatile to modelling either.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know how to export trucks to view in Vive?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:47 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:09 pm
Posts: 139
Yeah, I do still have the .bin files for that camaro and dodge ram I showed in binedit, and I "would" show pictures of them in Lightwave, but I'm pretty sure I've tried to install Lightwave in windows 7 or windows 10 and it didn't let me install it, said it's not a validated version or some crap, gotta love microsoft up-to-date security, it was windows xp I could do these things..lol..(see this was kind of a cracked version of it that a friend sent to me over the net cause he was into modeling too..but don't tell anyone =)
Just tried to install it again right now and the installation cancels itself before it's finished, saying "your system has not been modified" ...??.. ????


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know how to export trucks to view in Vive?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:50 pm 
MTM2 Engineer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:19 pm
Posts: 1280
Location: Valparaíso, Chile.
NiteMares2k16 wrote:
Yeah, I do still have the .bin files for that camaro and dodge ram I showed in binedit, and I "would" show pictures of them in Lightwave, but I'm pretty sure I've tried to install Lightwave in windows 7 or windows 10 and it didn't let me install it, said it's not a validated version or some crap, gotta love microsoft up-to-date security, it was windows xp I could do these things..lol..(see this was kind of a cracked version of it that a friend sent to me over the net cause he was into modeling too..but don't tell anyone =)
Just tried to install it again right now and the installation cancels itself before it's finished, saying "your system has not been modified" ...??.. ????


Have you tried a XP virtual machine or WinXP mode in Windows 7? Some stuff just won't run on 7/8/10. By the way, consider Sketchup, it is way, way too easy to learn. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group