MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

Post subject: Real looking textures
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2000 3:50 am 

Hi, i am asking for help about how to make custom textures. I tried, but they don't look reak. They look TOOOOOOOOO superficial, and i can't use them, cuz they look just (not ugly) they just can't fit the game, cuz they look superficial.

Pls help me. Ty

P.S. I have PSP 6.0 and Photoshop 5.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2000 4:25 am 

Hullo there, I am under the thought (can't think of the word) that you have raced some of Spiders tracks..
Well any wayz... he always made awsome textures.. but Lie her and I were talking about.. he said that the textures for Palm Islands looked really cartoony in Photoshop... but in that game looked really good. Now as long as there are custom textures and they align.. man work on em...
I LOVE CUSTOM TEXTURES! woooooooooo i love em!
Any wayz tho... make sure your usin Photoshop cause it is Just sooo much better... Any way.. if you are using photoshop messs around with filers...
1st-make your color... green such as grass...
2nd-Add some noise
3rd-Gausian Blur
4th-Try Bass releif that usually looks good Image

Later
RuDeE

[This message has been edited by RuDeE (edited 01-07-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2000 11:59 am 

THnx for the reply Rudee, gonna try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2000 12:41 pm 

What i always do is i take screenshots from games and use the skew command to move the scnshot facing to you.I also scan pics as well and either change the size of the pic to 64x64 or i cut a 64x64 box out of the texture then mirror all the sides and you have a photo realistic texture....
Seems a bit complicated doesn't it....
My site will have lots of help on this soon.
My site is currently under construction but for future reference its at http://come.to/HMTM2

------------------
---> HAC-MAN
---> Keep On Hackin'
---> Hacman@start.com.au
---> Http://come.to/HMTM2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2000 3:37 pm 

Realism is tough to get from scratch, try working from some photographs. I have taken quite a few photographs of walls, roads etc. just for MTM, and many more can be found on the Internet.

Adding noise and blurring a bit is a good suggestion. There really aren't many solid colors in the real world after all.
After some playing around this way you will get a feel for how the texture is going to look in the game (how much blurring looks like sand, how much like blotches).

You can also open your textures in Photoshop using the Track Pallette, this might give you an idea what the colors will look like, but doesn't reveal much about how the texuring itself is going to be shown by the game. http://mtm2.com/~forum/pages/Forum12/HTML/000005.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2000 8:30 pm 

Thnx dudes, my textures already start looking more real (well, at least more real then before, before it was TOOO superficial like i said). THnx for the help, already tried your tips, and are working fine Image This will be a good improvment for my next track that i think the name will be "The Return Of The DMS" cuz they "died" and now are coming back, i still need som few ideas for it, but the it will be a 100% custom textures. Until now i didn't had the courage to do it, but now, with your help, the improvment has comed. TY