MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

Post subject: Don't do this at home!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:05 pm 
Glow Ball

So, I decide to make some custom textures. No problem.

So, I decide to use some stock mtm2 textures as a starting point. No problem.

So, I make patterns, templates, selections, the whole bit. No problem.

So, I put it all together and try it in the game. Big problems. Not tiling properly for some reason.

So, I wrack my brain, retrace my steps, and realize I did the pattern fill using a 64x64 texture instead of 60x60.

So, okay, trim the fat and do it again. I saved the templates and selections, so no big deal, right? We'll see.

So, into the game we go, and... big problem. Not tiling again.

Time to put the kettle on and think about what's going on here. The base textures in mtm2 tile fine, right? I always thought so. The fill in psp tiled fine, right? Looked it. So what's the deal? Welp, turns out not all base textures use the two pixel overlap. When I cropped off the two pixels, I never looked closely enough to see they don't have the overlap. So what I should've done was resize rather than crop. Doh! Do it again.

So, into the game we go, and ... finally, it worked. No problem, right? Wrong. This was the second set of textures I made, and I wanted them to align with the first set, so I made a bunch of transition textures so they could merge seamlessly. The trouble was I assumed since the first set worked out perfectly, that the second set would too. So, I made the transitions for the first bunch and the set that didn't work. I had to do them again the second time, which of course also didn't work. Finally, I redid them again for the last shot at it and now everything is okay.

So, what's the point of all this? There's a moral to this story. Do your work in steps and check each step before moving on to the next one, and don't assume things are correct for the sake of taking a shortcut. Mistakes and oversights happen, that's no big deal, but don't compound the problem by working ahead of yourself. Man, what an experience. I hope I learned my lesson.... and if I didn't, hopefully this post will be a reminder... to me if nothing else, lol.