MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am

Post subject: Pallettes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:40 am 

How do I utilize a custom texture in MTM2 that I've created? Where do palletes come in? Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:16 am 

In traxx go to options and there should be palette under that menu. When you get to that little window, you can create a custom pallette based on the current textures loaded or load your own by clicking the folder icon. Hope this helped

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:01 pm 
Glow Ball

Kdawg is describing a custom track palette. Is that what you mean? I ask because I'm not sure what you question means.

> How do I utilize a custom texture in MTM2 that I've created?

Track, terrain or model texture?

For tracks, it's as Kdawg describes. You may create or indicate any palette you want to use from the menu in traxx. It's been a while but if I recall correctly you can do the same thing in tracked2 under the 'edit track details' option.

For terrain, textures are 64x64 tiles that you lay on the ground to create the sense of scenery. Custom and stock textures are used exactly the same way. But I know you've done this before.

For models, textures can be 64x64 or 256x256 in size. You have to use a unique name, and you must edit the bin model so that it knows what texture(s) to use. You can do this in binedit or you can repaint existing textures and use a texture replacer.

> Where do palletes come in?

Palettes provide color for RAW files. There's a few notes here.

http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/trucks/palette.html

If you need something more specific, please ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:40 pm 

> How do I utilize a custom texture..... ?

Preferably with style and flair. Image

Crankshaft!! Great to see you back in MTM land. Seems like the last time we were in touch you were toying with the possibility of entering something in the Expo... of 2000! Oddly enough it's <a href=http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/contests/expo2003/>Expo</a> time again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:31 pm 

Hi WK:

I've been working on a custom road texture set from a long time ago that uses a different alignmrnt theory, but I just never finished them. The initial work is done and they all align perfectly. This set provides 12 different directions of travel and every texture so far is seamless. There is much to be done tho'. Hence the question of coloring these textures and how to preserve their color when I import them into Ttraxx. I use Paint Shop Pro 7. I am hoping that the color palette used will remain unchanged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:20 am 

Reducing to 256 colors using PSP should give you a nice optimized palette, if memory serves - the "optimized octree" method seems to give the best results. When you paste them into Traxx that palette will be retained. Once they are painted on the terrain, and before you write the pod, you'll want to generate a custom track palette with Traxx as Kdawg suggested, so they look their best in-game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:37 pm 

doh
Dumb Question... How do I create a custom palette in Traxx?
doh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:53 pm 
Scroll up and read Kdawg's message again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:23 pm 
scroll down (not far tho) and click this link

http://rhinoseros.com/~mtmg/traxx/palette.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:22 pm 

Tanks...
:hip:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:10 am 

<< Once they are painted on the terrain, and before you write the pod, you'll want to generate a custom track palette with Traxx as Kdawg suggested, so they look their best in-game. >>

It's usually a trade-off...

Creating a custom palette will generally make your "world" look best, but more often than not (in my experience) it makes the trucks look worse. This is usually because you don't include a nice sampling of ALL the primary colors when you generate your custom palette. (More often than not the reds and purples suffer, since there are few outdoor textures that use those colors. So trucks with more than one shade of red or purple tend to fair poorly with customized palettes.)

This effect is immediately apparent when the "game loading" splash screen appears. The worse the picture looks, the worse your trucks look in the game.

I usually select the STOCK palette which shows off my artwork to best effect. (Some are better than others. I tend to like the Crazy '98 palette for a lot of tracks. It seems to have a good selection of each primary color.) MOST of the stock palettes have a pretty good color range, so they should do a decent job.

Clawfford, the Big Red Cat
www.gameroom.com/clawfford