MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:29 am

Post subject: How to 4x4 Evo/Evo2?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:45 pm 

I've had my mind set on a project lately and as cool as it would be, I just don't know if MTM2 would be the right medium of expression. Since this seems like the most likely place to start, I was hoping to ask a few questions. Do any tutorials, FAQs, or even active message boards still exist for making content for the game? The only leads I had handy are what I could find on Vales.com, and all the sub-forums and topics are coming up empty, that and I remember using Zmod to convert models eons ago when I was into that sorta thing. Also, does anyone know of a COMPLETE download? There's a link to it on Vales, but it's a hacked copy missing several features. Any help is really appreciated, guys.

Mainly what I'm hoping to accomplish is creating period accurate reps of some or all of the MTM roster in the game's style, more or less inspired by Cale's Super Stock trucks, and with the first 4x4 Evo being a reworking of MTM3. Just an idea that I probably wouldn't finish anyway, but it's something I'd love to at least attempt to say I have.

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)
I used to be PM Customs but now I'm taking meds for that ;)

Post subject: Re: How to 4x4 Evo/Evo2?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:52 pm 

You cannot legally get a full version of the game as the one that was officially offered by TRI (on vales) was specifically stripped down. Afraid you either have to buy it or go to some "shady" websites to get it.

I don't know of any websites for evo2. You should try asking this question at vales evo2 forum as well as I have noticed some people are active there. At least in the general forum. (but specifically Evo2 forum, not evo1).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:39 pm 

Thanks Fila, I'll check things out over there. If you come up with anything else, I'd love to hear it.

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:26 am 

Really just a proof of concept but here's what I have on it so far in BinEdit. As of right now the main model weighs in at 2,233 verts. The main thing left for now is to texture the body, we'll see how that goes. ;)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:37 am 

Yeah that definitely won't work for MTM2 until I can figure out how to port the game to Dx9/OpenGL and that will take some time as I'm only just getting to the rendering code part and it's a doozy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:43 am 

Actually I've got it ingame and it runs perfectly on my old laptop

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:10 pm 

sweet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:19 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

PM Customs wrote:
I've had my mind set on a project lately and as cool as it would be, I just don't know if MTM2 would be the right medium of expression. Since this seems like the most likely place to start, I was hoping to ask a few questions. Do any tutorials, FAQs, or even active message boards still exist for making content for the game? The only leads I had handy are what I could find on Vales.com, and all the sub-forums and topics are coming up empty, that and I remember using Zmod to convert models eons ago when I was into that sorta thing. Also, does anyone know of a COMPLETE download? There's a link to it on Vales, but it's a hacked copy missing several features. Any help is really appreciated, guys.

Mainly what I'm hoping to accomplish is creating period accurate reps of some or all of the MTM roster in the game's style, more or less inspired by Cale's Super Stock trucks, and with the first 4x4 Evo being a reworking of MTM3. Just an idea that I probably wouldn't finish anyway, but it's something I'd love to at least attempt to say I have.

Didn't ONaN make a MTM2 (MTM3?) pack for Evo2? I remember I downloaded a pack once and they looked awesome, but I can't recall the author's name.

Also, the idea of making "MTM3" on EVO is as old as this forum... I really can't recall how far any of these attempts got.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:11 pm 

He did, but all he did was convert his 2.1 truck pack to 4x4 Evo's model type. I was hoping to build models based around that one screenshot we had of Bigfoot in the game before it was switched to Evo. Speaking of, does anyone happen to have that screenshot still or did I dream that?

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:10 pm 

You weren't dreaming - http://mtm2.com/~tracks/details.cgi?t=300

So far as I remember, those shots were not of what eventually became Evo, but rather a pitch to MS for MTM3 from another party - I guess MS had solicited bids and alpha builds/tech demos but never followed through with the project. TRI was already part of Gathering of Developers before MTM2 released, so I wouldn't be surprised if Evo was never actually intended to be MTM3 and rather was it's own project from the outset.

Regardless, I would definitely have interest in seeing an "MTM3" pack for Evo! I lost interest in both games pretty quickly since the regular trucks didn't interest me as much as monster trucks. I'd rather see those truck bodies based on the stock Evo trucks, though...TRI's modeling for them is greatly improved from MTM2 and they'd make excellent bases.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:37 pm 

Funny thing, that IS modified from the stock EVO silverado. The one on top is the one I edited and the bottom is the stock short bed model

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:39 pm 

And Also this! Yes, I know how fuzzy the graphics are. Unfortunately that's not something I've been able to control thus far, something to do with photoshop's method of compressing the image. But anywho, all it needs still is textures for the engine, exhaust, shocks, and maybe sway bars. Probably going to model new axles for it too but I'm not sure yet, may try and re-purpose an older set. I think I may take a shot at a Bigfoot next to go with it, just have to see how things go at my new job next week and how much extra time I'll have.

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:23 am 

That looks excellent! It's been so long since I tried anything with Evo that I couldn't pick out the models, lol. I don't have a ton of time but I could potentially assist with some textures if you need it - Paint Shop Pro tends to do better somehow with them.

Are you using BinEdit to make the chassis or importing from another program?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:39 pm 

I prepare the models in BinEdit but all my custom models and major edits are made in Blender and imported back when finished. And I wouldn't refuse the help, I absolutely loved your work in the SS pack. I'll get with you on the next one when I get some decent progress on it.

Edit: I'll just recycle this post, got some progress done on the F250 for Bigfoot but this is as far as it's going to get for tonight as I know I'm going to be expected to do *something* for the holiday and need to get in bed. Hopefully I'll have more done tomorrow if I get some free time.

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:59 am 
MTM2 Engineer

Cale wrote:
You weren't dreaming - http://mtm2.com/~tracks/details.cgi?t=300

So far as I remember, those shots were not of what eventually became Evo, but rather a pitch to MS for MTM3 from another party - I guess MS had solicited bids and alpha builds/tech demos but never followed through with the project. TRI was already part of Gathering of Developers before MTM2 released, so I wouldn't be surprised if Evo was never actually intended to be MTM3 and rather was it's own project from the outset.

Regardless, I would definitely have interest in seeing an "MTM3" pack for Evo! I lost interest in both games pretty quickly since the regular trucks didn't interest me as much as monster trucks. I'd rather see those truck bodies based on the stock Evo trucks, though...TRI's modeling for them is greatly improved from MTM2 and they'd make excellent bases.

Never seen that thing before. Anyobody has a hi-res version of that screenshot?. :?:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:32 pm 

I remember seeing the original a LONG time ago but I have no idea who'd have it now if anyone.

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:55 pm 

Unpod the track, FlyRawGui the textures ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:53 pm 

Fila wrote:
You cannot legally get a full version of the game as the one that was officially offered by TRI (on vales) was specifically stripped down. Afraid you either have to buy it or go to some "shady" websites to get it.

I don't know of any websites for evo2. You should try asking this question at vales evo2 forum as well as I have noticed some people are active there. At least in the general forum. (but specifically Evo2 forum, not evo1).

First of all, I have to agree with your remarks on obtaining the games legally by buying them since that method is virus-free and trojan-free, and I'm incredibly afraid of severe viruses and trojans anyway because in 2011 and 2012, I wanted to play Monster Truck Madness 2 on my TOSHIBA NB205 laptop with Windows XP Home Edition SP3 on it, but I didn't have a portable CD/DVD drive back then, so I downloaded the version from KC's MTM2 Place (no, not the MTMG website) and tried to settle for it instead. Next, I had a virus warning and I worked something out (I cannot remember how since it was several years ago), and a year later, the same thing happened again, but that time it was unlucky as I couldn't get the virus or trojan to disappear, so the hard drive that originally came with it became corrupt.
I then decided to have a local computer repair store repair it and most of the original hard drive's contents were transferred to a fresh new one, and Windows XP Home Edition SP3 was reinstalled onto it, and once it was repaired, I started using a portable CD/DVD drive from then on so I can finally play CD-ROM games on there (including Monster Truck Madness 2). I wonder when was the last time KC scanned that .ZIP file for your version of Monster Truck Madness 2?

I never downloaded KC's version of MTM2 ever again since then, and never downloaded and played KC's versions of the 4x4 Evolution series games for the same reason, worried that the same thing could happen to me (not to be confused with false positives). This also applies to the Fly! series games. Therefore, I only recommended to people to play the original CD releases of Terminal Reality's games in order to make sure their computers don't get damaged from severe virus and/or trojans as well. However, when I downloaded Jeep 4x4 Evo 2 from KC's 4x4 Evo 2 Place, it luckily wasn't a virus at all (thank goodness!).

My point is, it's not only a matter of if a game is in the public domain, it's importantly about if it's safe to download from the web nowadays. If you're not sure if a game is safe to download from the web, PLEASE take my advice: don't EVER download it if you think it could infect your computer with a severe virus or a trojan. Thanks!

Secondly, over the years, there have been other fan-made websites for the 4x4 Evolution series games besides KC's 4x4 Evo 1 and 2 Places, but sadly, some of them have been shut down, plus some of them are fortunately still around. What's more sad is, [RCG]Balthazer's team site (4x4evo.net) will be shutting down possibly because he can no longer deal with a paid domain. I think he should move it to a free domain on a website creation website without doing any remote hosting (Jimdo, WordPress, or Wix). And don't worry, I still visit KC's 4x4 Evo 1 Place and download files from there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:47 pm 

Hey guys, been a while! It's been a rough couple months for me dealing with a breakup and work drama, but I'm feeling better now and I've had the itch to get back into things, so I got back into this project. Decided to finish off the model work for Bigfoot. this is kind of meant to be a generic 2000's foot (based on foot 14), but this one in particular is going to be the Chromalusion scheme and bigfoot Xbox (figured the game would be a cross platform release, so a bit of shameless promotion) as well as a couple other suggestions if anyone has some. Probably going to do a dodge or two next or finish Foot and Crusher and release them together and call it good for now!

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)