MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

Post subject: Idea for contest
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2000 6:38 am 

I just got a thought for a contest. After looking at Malibu's Screen Shots page I got the idea.
1.)Find a track.
2.)Make it availible for download at this site.
3.)(heres the contest part)The people who participate will take a screen shot and there would be Judges.
4.)Have judges decide which shots look the greatest or coolest.

Just a thought.

K-Dawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2000 7:10 am 

I think that's a good idea, I like the specific nature of it. A similar contest has been held once before (that I know of) but it was to be from whatever track you wanted to use. Naturally this would be done for fun but could proove quite interesting, at least for those who LIKE to take snapshots Image Sort of a snapshot tourney. Perhaps YOU should organize it!? Seems only right, gotta be a good track though. Image

Since you brought up the subject... I have had a contest idea kicking around in my head for a number of days now -- for track makers. I not sure I even have the opening to participate in such a thing at the moment but here it is....

To make the most exciting and interesting track that follows a perfectly straight line. Lets say five terrain squares wide as the maximum limit of driveable surface, and about as long as the terrain is wide (or less).

We've all seen tracks that have unbearably boring straight sectons of unchanging flat terrain *yawn*, but we've also seen some amazingly fun straight sections too, probably without even realizing it.

To be honest, this first dawned on me while racing a straight section On Malibu's Rock Ridge Revisited, I thought, "wow, that was derned good looking and fun straight" and the thought of a competition bloomed from there.

I think it's a great goal -- very specific and challenging to the imagination of track makers.

Sorry to jump in on your topic, but the subject heading was just right Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2000 7:31 am 

Realy i thought of just a certain track but really it could be any. I would do it but i don't know how to make a website to post stuff on. That contest you said seems like a good idea.I know if track makers out there got the message there would be VERY intresting entries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2000 7:59 am 
Glow Ball

Ok, I'm all for it. For the screen shots, I like the idea of a single track - kinda a twist on the other one bigdog did.
http://onebigdog1.tripod.com/index.html

Seems he took down all the shots and info about it though.

Anyway, it would give something to compare too. You'd just have to decide how you'd pick the winner(s).

-----

For the track, it probably needs more thought. Does it complete a full circuit? Is it a dragway park kind of thing, like a one lap rally that doesn't end where it begins? Or what.

-----

either way, it would be best if they don't overlap each other. Too many contests at once can be draining.

Let's get psyco to make the site for it. He's good at that stuff and he's always looking for new things to do.

My bottom line. Simpler is better. I'd be happy with kdogg and wk judging...hehe, that way I get to enter :-)

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2000 8:38 am 

Ok for the strait away thing i'm guessing it would be a rally that would end in a different place then it started because he said a Fun Strait. As far as the contest are we talking prizes for the winner(s) like computer parts? Anyway Winterkill If you want to Judge it w/ me email me @ squeeky628@aol.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2000 8:52 am 
Glow Ball

okay by me on the track idea.

For prizes, I'm strapped. Bigdog just had the fame and notoriety idea, and it seemed fine with everyone involved. After all, screen shots take some time but aren't really overly time consuming or difficult to do. I think a site devoted to it with the winner permanently displayed should be honor enough...no?

Rudedog had his fast lap hall of fame idea with billboards in the maker's next track. Apparently one guy was leading on all tracks :-) but I don't know how that ended up

For tracks, the only thing that has prevented me from announcing the mtmg big summer 2000 mega track making contest is prizes. I have the ideas all laid out and ready for feedback, but nothing to offer like the last time. Soooooooooo, the best I can do is a mtmg cd again. OR a cd of tracks. I dunno if that is getting to be a tired idea or not.

I don't think we need much motivation. If people like the game, then they'll play along. If not, we've already seen how much fun and good times can come out of as few as four entries. I'm not bothered by it either way.

My vote is Yes! let's make it happen.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2000 9:05 am 

iime for all ofem :-) judge mtmg
i can work on a strait :-)
screenshots...... with the gold cheat we can get some pretty interesting shots :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2000 12:50 pm 

This sounds like a great idea but er, doesn't Malibu kinda do this already? Maybe we could augment his fine site with an MTMG Trackshots feature? Just an idea.
Prizes for competitions: maybe a nominal fee for entry could cover the cost of any prizes.
Again, just an idea.
While we're on the subject of raising funds, I intend to put an order in for at least 2 of KC's cd's tomorrow and stump up what I can afford to sponsor the guy - spread the word friends!

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2000 1:37 pm 

I had never thought about a straight track before, hmmm. Does that mean the track could go the whole width of the terrain and just wrap around for another lap? (Would you even call it a "lap" if it was a never-ending straight? hehe) With only two or three checkpoints? Would the comp trucks be able to drive it with just one track segment? It would be interesting to see the variations people could come up with given such strict limitations hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2000 3:33 am 
Glow Ball

Good point MC, we'll have to get malibu's input here. At this stage, I think he'd be the best qualified to judge. Whaddausay, Mal?

On the straight track, yes comp trucks will work with one course segment, at least it worked when I tried it long ago. I came up with some good ideas since this idea started. I hope it can happen.

Prizes? no change. And, unfortunately, I don't think an entry fee will work =(

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2000 8:40 am 
easy company

Sure thing i'd be happy to help judge being i am the only one with a track shot resumé i guess i am qualified Image

for the screen shot contest the winner will have a special permanent spot at the T shots page with their entry

I think that a fairly long and scenic rally for the screen shot's would be a good choice such as,
Indio Desert by ValveJob
Cascade Summit by Yeastman
Dr Scrotes Volcano by GuitarBill
Golden Gate Rally 2 by Eric Hruby
Z Trip '99 by ZooN
Lost Land of Jabroni by Inky
Motherlode 1.5 by Badger (not too long but great)
Rocky Mountain Rally by Spider
Spazmania by Spazmonster
Snowbound by Sky

[This message has been edited by Malibu350 (edited 24-03-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2000 10:15 am 

So, Everything sounds good.No entry fee that wouldn't seem right.For the Screenshot thing will be judged by Me, Malibu and Winterkill?
Oh and if we do a certain track we need a good one like Malibu said. I mainly would like to see "Gollypop" shots cuz its one of my all time favs. anyway we'll see.
--------------------------------------------

Also that strait track thing I Want to put in an entry so I can't jusdge that. Or i'll judge and make an entry but it would not count.

Anyway
Drop me an email anytime
Squeeky628@aol.com Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2000 10:24 am 

I have to do a full recovery on my computer so I will have to wait for the contest(s). go on with them if you want (without me Image )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2000 2:06 pm 

I love the idea of this "continuous track" contest/competition... (see my Projects page)[http:members.tripod.com/Emcee4/Projects]. It's an idea I've been tinkering with but never got around to finishing, maybe this'll give me the incentive!
Prizes: maybe the fame and/or notoriety will be enough to encourage people to take part Image

Rules: some kinda time frame (like maybe until or after KD gets his 'pute fixed! heehee).
Winterkill's suggestions are sound... constraints rather than rules though (er, that's my suggestion - not my interpretation of WK's input).
I think this can work out very well if the entries are "constrained" to certain parameters i.e. the 6 squares, straight line, maybe even the use of certain stock textures - which IMHP may encourage "newbie" track makers to have a go for the sheer fun of it. Not necessarilly to show how technically talented the participants (as opposed to competitors) are, but to give everyone a chance to express themselves in terms of imagination. Mmmm I'll wait 'til I see more on this subject before I comment more, but I have to add that the links idea is a good one. One more thing Image I think it's stuff like this that will keep this community alive and kicking for a long time to come... OK I'll shut up now! Gotta pee anyways.

Edit note: darned proofreader is useless! Er, I just noticed that WK DID mention constraints... ho hum! Image
------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

[This message has been edited by EmceeMart (edited 16-03-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2000 3:59 pm 
Glow Ball

Do you mean http://members.tripod.com/Emcee4/projects.html?

By all means, I think we can hang around and mull this idea over some more until kdogg makes his reappearance. man, I hate when 9 minutes passes like that.

Anyway, at this time, the only things I can add are that it might be an idea to merge these two things into one. I mean, the screen shot could be limited to any of the entries for the track part. One part reinforces the other. On the other hand, I like the idea of total openness. Six or eight terrain squares sounds ok to me, but I think models or textures is what adds to a track maker's signiture or trade mark. I wouldn't want to squeeze any body out because they felt they couldn't express themselves the way they wanted to.

And that's it for now. I still have work to do before I can call it a night. Just wanted to add my little bit here while we're still coming up with ideas.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 4:26 am 

I can hold the recovery I just thought it was the internet. Now that the internet is fixed i can still judge and all. Before the recovery i have to gather all my traxx stuff and paint shop pro. So I can still do it. Anyway i'm gonna start getting all my files together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2000 1:06 am 

The AXE Team had a screenshot contest some time ago ... AXE_Newt, our first trackmaker is also a graphics designer and artist and he had the idea and organized the whole thing. Newt may still like to contribute to your efforts in organizing/judging (I like the way i'm volunteering his services heheh).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 1:25 pm 

I love the straight track idea, my mind is going crazy. Plz let me know if this contest does get underway because sometimes I vanish for months at a time..lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 1:43 pm 
Glow Ball

Two things.

1st, Burn, you're lurking around here at the same time I am. I always think that's funny as ....

2nd. It's been a week and nobody has jumped forward to run with this. If you guys are really serious, I'll see what I can do. I think the contests have produced some fantastic work. But dernit, I wanted to go in this one too. It ain't right for me if I host it. I wanted to work more on some graphics but the site keeps getting in the way. Maybe I'll set up a poll and see the reponse (yeah, right, like that's any way to decide anything).

2.5. (yeah, I wrote this part after the next part). Burn, you had objections to the time frame for the winter contest. Are you still contrained by your school shedule? If this goes, I'd like to see you in here too.

3rd. Mal, this screen shot idea sounds good. We should talk more about it. What the heck is that plastic address anyway. If it's your work, I don't want to crowd your space. But limits never stopped me before, oops, better watch what I say, I might get the dreaded hoof in mouth syndrome. anyway....I got ideas but I'd need your input too.

Please all, if this is just an impulsive thing, I'd like to get some indication. The originator of this thread has already vacated the premises. It is way too much work if it's going to fade.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 4:06 pm 
Glow Ball

>>The problem I see is just 'how' to
>>organize, promote and judge it

agreed. but more. motivation is key, has been on the other things we've done and is proving so again here.

>>I posted some ideas but they generated
>>no response so I just dunno.

silence is a response too - and not always negative.

>>by having some kind of open voting system

votes don't work. period. Sorry, but they don't. I could go on at length, and I will in an email if you'd like, but suffice it for here that they are not a practical criteria.

>>Another idea: perhaps we should approach
>> this as a simple "event"

That's okay by me. I can see at least four people going for that and probably a couple more too. That would be enough for the general idea to carry across.

>> This idea may be lame, and would be
>>worthless if 'winning' is a required
>>incentive to get track makers to perform.

no idea is lame when you're trying to give shape to something that has none. but "winning" is part of the key. If your aim is to get as many people involved as possible, then incentives are crucial. If not, then winning is the irrelavent term.

>>"car shows"

are motivated by something entirely different than anything we're talking about here, or likely to ever talk about here.

The MTM straight-a-way Expo 2000

ding ding ding, we have a name for this thing!

>>I'm probably being too simple minded in an
>>attempt to make this all as do-able and
>>painless as possible.

That's okay, but if something is to happen, somebody has to do something someplace along the line. There's no avoiding some things. The word of the paragraph is something, in case you didn't pick up on it.

>>To me, the whole point of this exercise is
>>to show that straights don't have to be
>>flat or boring Image

sure, in the same way four tracks can share the same terrain yet be entirely different. There is more to track making than this or that....uh...thing.

>>I am open to anything.

Anything?, hehehehe.

>>we can still contract out to some judges
>>who are not directly involved. People
>>like... KC??

We've come full circle - back to judging. Judges must/should be people others will respect. I'm sure kc will join us.

>>That may be the real solution, gives US the
>>opportunity to share the workload, and
>>still compete, all fair and square.

Sharing the workload and competing are fine, but if it's to be fair and square, a participant cannot be a judge.

Lastly, I've been extremely busy and have not been able to work on the site (much) this past week. Looks like I got a few more days ahead of me too. When I'm caught up, I'll give this fuller attention. I'm not too worried that we can make something work out. In the meantime, I've got the poll up. Let's see if there is any response there, and if any news ideas surface.

------------------
- Phineus