MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:45 am

Post subject: (OT) Need suggestions on a 'splattable critter' for a game.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:59 pm 

For my DirectX programming subject at uni, our first assignment involves developing a 2D game that has been dubbed the 'Splatt' game. The basics of the 'Splatt' game are that the player is trapped in a scrolling maze-type environment (top-down view), with walls, pickups, hazards etc. The environment scrolls around of its own accord, and the player has to navigate the animated avatar (currently called 'Zippy') around the maze. If 'Zippy' eats 'Poison' he slows down, and if he eats 'Food' he speeds up. The main thrust of the game is to avoid having 'Zippy' fall down the hazardous holes, or getting caught between the edge of the screen and a wall as the maze scrolls, in which case he is 'Splatted'.
If you want to read more of the task set for us by our crazy lecturers, you do so can here... http://clio.mit.csu.edu.au/subjects/itc320/02_assignments/assignment1.html

Anyway, at the moment 'Zippy' is a platypus. This only came about when Jason (one of our lecturers) tried to draw a character for us to animate, and it came out looking like a platypus, so that's what it ended up as (shown below).

<center>
</center>

We've been given pretty much free reign with this - we don't have to stick with a platypus if we don't want to, and can customise the particulars of the 'Splatt' game as we see fit. At present I'm not sure whether I want to stick with a platypus for mine (if I do I'd redraw it!) or go with a different character, since there are potentially marks for originality with this.

The only other ideas I had for the player critter was a lizard - like a gecko (I liked the groovy coloured patterns on GEX's back) or something unusual like a chameleon (he could 'cloak' to hide from nasties roaming the maze!) - or perhaps an ant (would be suited to the maze-type environment). Or else I could stick with the platypus (then I could implement swimming).

Anyone want to venture their ideas for a player character for my game? Splattability isn't necessarily a prerequisite, I just want something that would be fun (and maybe funny) to work with. Whatever, it should look good from a top-down perspective.

------------------
If it's a good idea,
Phineus has probably already done it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 1:40 am 

Sounds like fun.

Heres a few critters that come to mind.

Flying squirrel. Could jump/fly over obstacles.

Mole. Burrow when need be.

Not sure of it's name but the lizard that can run on water. It's walk is hilarious. Run's across the water but if it comes to a stop, sinks like a stone.

Chicken. Maybe implement an egg laying feature so that if it's doomed for sure an egg would be shot a short distance & hatch then that chicken would become the runner.

Dolphin. Make the maze mostly water with land as an obstacle. Sea Horses, octopus & Puffer fish would work as well.

Be sure & post it when it's done.

[This message has been edited by Jam-N-Jim (edited 31-03-2002).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:31 am 
Glow Ball

In addition to JNJ's list, I think a mouse would do fine. Psychology loves white mice in mazes with levers and colored buttons. Little pieces of cheese laying around to re-energize it. Mouse traps to splat it. If it eats to much, it could leave little, uh, smarties behind it, lol.

For a lot of fun, I think the chicken is best. A butcher (the colonel) waits in a corner to chop off it's head. Foghorn Leghorn tries to talk it to death. The walls could be streets that it's afraid to cross. Chicken feed makes it stronger, and hawks do it in. When it gets splatted, it could turn into a rubber chicken.

>>'Zippy' is a platypus

LOL, now there's creativity! You aussies crack me up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 9:19 am 

Speaking strictly on the splatabilty aspect "cane toad" was the first thing that popped into me mind (because of where you live, naturally).

Good luck, and please do share the result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 10:45 am 

Kewl, I had no idea this would attract so many suggestions so quick. Keep it coming!

My mother actually suggested a chicken, though I didn't think a chook would look at all good from a top-down perspective... but I could of course simply do it as a side-on.

Cane Toads sound like a good idea for a nasty roaming the maze (if I go for Australian fauna as my critter). Find a hammer (or even a vehicle? bwahahaha), and you could go splat it!

Thanks, I will keep in mind to share it with you all when I get it done... it's due on the first or second week back, so I'll be working on it over my three-week holiday period (too bad if I wanted to spend my holidays actually on holiday!). Maybe I shall be needing some playtesters... Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 11:19 am 

Well, we're here if you need us Image