MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:02 am

Post subject: [Not quite as incredibly off topic as Fila] Another post ask
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 2:04 pm 

In between trying to solve an access violation and memory leak problems with my DirectX program (what the hell is wrong with Microsoft? Can't they make anything nice to use?!?), I decided to come here and post an off-the-topic, as far as MTM is concerned, message on the message board...

Over the last couple of days I've had a recurring, dull pain in my right wrist. Most of the time, for any particular task, it's inconsequential, either being absent alltogether or, if it is hurting at all, only enough to make me concious of it and nothing more. Sometimes though, I do get a twinge of pain from doing a particular task or movement of the hand, and has been a little problematic for when I try to do push-ups or similar activity that places a lot of load on the hand and wrist. It's generally worse in the evening, and I'm satisfied that it has been getting progressively worse over the course of the week (in fact I can feel it right now as I type).

It was suggested that I might be getting RSI from the palm-down posture of using the computer mouse. The course I'm doing at uni means that I spend a lot of time in front of the computer, whether by necessity or by choice, so it seems a likely scenario. Presently I can't work out whether that's sort of funny or sort of scary.

Anyway, why not post what you make of this... I suppose I'm looking for advice but it doesn't have to be, and I'm not particularly worried (although I suspect that perhaps I should be...) so anything goes...

------------------
If it's a good idea,
Phineus has probably already done it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:14 pm 

1st of all... LOL at the topic's name Image

2nd of all... it might be because of the prolonge exposure to the mouse (hehehe). I had last week a big pain in my right arm... the one i use the mouse. It was right after i was doing some work on some track projects. After i kinda stopped using the computer for 2 days the pain left.

Perhaps try to get some creams (or how u call them) and use them on your hand...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:39 am 

Quote:
I had last week a big pain in my right arm...

I won't even go there... especially considering Fila's last topic Image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 1:19 pm 

you dirty minded no good such n such Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:47 pm 

ReplicaFan has da good words... I just went and searched on Google for Carpal Tunnel and got a lot of results on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Repetive Strain Injury with lots of information on the conditions and methods for managing, treating and preventing it. It's probably either that or some form of cramp. BTW, Thanks for the tip on the stretching exercise - I tried it and it works good Image

I might also try to find myself a more ergonomic mouse - I don't know if I'd go as far as some of the stuff shown here, but even today I was looking at a right-handed optical MS IntelliMouse (if only I'd had $65 on me at the time). Although I don't think I have a serious problem (yet), the thought of crippling myself would nonetheless be bit of a worry Image

------------------
If it's a good idea,
Phineus has probably already done it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:44 pm 

Sounds like an RSI thing, take the problem seriously! I learned a lot from these three links:
http://www.tifaq.com/information.html
http://www.repetitive-strain-injury.com
http://www.akasa.bc.ca/rsi/

"The hundreds of known repetitive stress injuries, or RSIs, all have a similar cause: excessive wear and tear on the soft tissues of the body (tendons, nerves, circulatory system, etc.). They start when you do the same task over and over again, from clicking a mouse to craning to see the computer monitor. If your body doesn't get a chance to heal, the damage adds up, and can eventually destroy your ability to do your job."

"RSI is cumulative. Once you are diagnosed with RSI or displaying the symptoms thereof, a lengthy period of proper and timely treatment and rest is required."

[This message has been edited by Winterkill (edited 19-03-2002).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:38 am 

You think you are soooooo funny Obe... now go back to ur work on teamslo's new website Image

------------------
Idle hands are the devils playground!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:05 am 

LOL! "Idle hands are the devil's playground" huh Fila??? lol guess we know what you...nevermind lol

------------------
-RobbyH14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:31 am 

Yeah yeah yeah everyone's thinking the same thing.

------------------
The humans think it is a poison of the blood that makes us what we are.
Fools, the blood only feeds the bodies we live in. To create a vampire,
one must steal a soul from the abyss to reanimate the corpse.