MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:07 pm

Post subject: Tracking emails
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:46 am 

I was just wondering...

I now have no less than four websites to my name, and provide my email address on all four, three of which (my truck site, truck making tutorial and The BINedit Resource) all point to same email.com address.

I was wondering if there was some way of keeping track from which of these three websites people are sending me emails. For example, if someone clicks the link on my tutorial website, I'd like to know that the message came from the tutorial site and not the truck site or the BINedit site. For example, I sometimes get incredibly vague questions, so knowing what this person was reading at the time would help to put it into context when I type a reply. And I'm interested to find out whether these truck requests are being sent from the page on my truck website (where I specifically ask people not to send truck requests), or from somewhere else (thereby bypassing that notice).

So far all I can think of is doing some HTML trickery to the link to 'mark' these emails, by setting the title (as I've seen Phineus do, although I have no idea what the code was), or by setting a text signature in the email, assuming such a thing can be done when a user clicks a link. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas (and methods) for this sort of application?

------------------
If it's a good idea,
Phineus has probably already done it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:13 am 
easy company

I don't know about any html trickery, but most web hosts allow you to make 10 or 20 email alias's which all are forwarded to your main email addy of choice... so depending on your host you could essentially have a different email addy for every page you have up, so you could track where each person came from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:15 am 
Glow Ball

re: trickery

<a href="mailto:d2smtm2@email.com?subject=The Binedit Resource">Contact</a>
<a href="mailto:d2smtm2@email.com?subject=The Truck site">Contact</a>
<a href="mailto:d2smtm2@email.com?subject=Truck Making">Contact</a>

You can also use different addresses combined with forwarders. This would prevent somebody from altering the subject line.