MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:29 pm

Post subject: Musings on a silly game
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:29 pm 
Glow Ball

I'm on dsl, it's an asymetrical hook up, which means higher download bit rates and restricted and lower upstream bit rates. It's kinda a crappy arrangement for hosting a server. The isps know that; that's why they do it this way. But it works, and allows me to host far more files than would otherwise be possible.

One conseqence of this sort of hook up is that if too many people log onto the server at the same time, some of them will get a busy signal and the traffic that is there slows to a crawl. For me, normally, this isn't a problem because nobody is 'really' browsing the site and most of the old files go unnoticed anyway. Generally, it's safe to host a lot of files because its more an archive than an active list. However, there are two problem situations. The first is when somebody uses a download manager. What some of these programs do is grab the same file many many times, each grab trying to consume all the bandwidth that it can get. Some of these programs are written very well and can use up a lot of bandwidth in an effort to get maximum download speeds. The problem with this on a site like mine, that has limited upstream speeds, is it, in effect, locks everybody else out of the site until the download is complete. For one track, it's no big deal as the download soon completes and the situation is ended. However, for very many tracks, it amounts to a denial of service attack. The second situation comes from somebody who uses a normal browser to download but clicks the entire page to download every single file all at the same time. This has the same effect as the download manager but through volume rather than a management of resources.

It's a rare problem. However, when it does happen, and I'm around to see it, I have to do something or it could take as much as a couple days for somebody to download every single track (and sometimes the utilities too, and beeks too if they're really persistent) and thus free up server resources once again for everybody else. The easiest thing I do is turn the server off for a few minutes, the download attempts turn to 404 errors, and I turn it back on. But some download managers are smart, and have a retry loop so I have to turn the server off for more than a half hour to let the DM run it's course. But some people are incredibly obstinate and will reclick every link on the page all over again each time I start back up, whether they use a DM or a browser. So we repeat this cycle again. When that happens, I ban the ip. However, this is not always effective either since some people's ip will change each time they come on the net, and some DMs (and some people) use ip spoofs to get around it. Then I update the ban list and round and round we go again. The entire ordeal turns into a game of me detecting and blocking the obsessive downloader, and them detecting and circumventing my efforts to block them. Taken to an extreme, this can grow into quite the amusing waste of time.

KC's solution to this problem was to force membership, reduce the number of tracks displayed on the page, and to limit downloads to eight per day (this is just as much a problem for high volume sites too). I don't really want to do this. It's a lot of work for a rare problem, and is not even necessary in the off hours. Somebody could theoretically download a hundred files and not interfere with anybody else at all. I don't want to restrict somebody who wants to download a lot of files. Rather, the issue is really making sure that we don't restrict access to other visitors. The downloads are here for the many, not just a few. So, like it or not, preventing bandwidth hogging is something I have to deal with.

So, why tell you all this? I ask for some volunteer help in this regard. Please do not use download managers when downloading files from and mtmx.cjb.net address. And if you must download all the files, please spread it out over a couple weeks. The site and files are for everybody, not just the few with the persistence or obstinacy to try and win this silly game.

I hope you understand. Thank you.

------------------
<FONT FACE="Arial" SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#2828E8">-</font><FONT COLOR="#3838E9"> </font><FONT COLOR="#4949EB">P</font><FONT COLOR="#5959ED">h</font><FONT COLOR="#6A6AEF">i</font><FONT COLOR="#7A7AF1">n</font><FONT COLOR="#8B8BF3">e</font><FONT COLOR="#9B9BF5">u</font><FONT COLOR="#ACACF7">s</font></font>

edit. A new twist to the game. The moment I ask for some cooperation, I see a dozen people jump in with several new download managers I haven't seen till now. Helps keep the faith in human nature, don't it?

[This message has been edited by Phineus (edited 20-06-2002).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:41 am 

Will, do!

I understand completly Image I have worked with several sites that deal with Free files and while most are small, its the power downloaders that can cause ya problems. We were once hosting a site from a server attatched to a cable modem. It worked for a while but the bandwidth started kicking up so bad the cable company threatened to double the fees. I am no longer working there but Im still quite active >> http://www.lotsofskins.com its now hosted on the web.

Please do what ya must to keep it as free as possible Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:46 am 

BTW, if you guys are looking for some killer web interface (not saying ya need one) but if ya do give me a ring at crumbut@yahoo.com I have been doing web graphics for quite some time and really dig helping people who serve free files that are of intrest to me. My site (hasnt been updated in a while) >> http://cloud.prohosting.com/~crumbut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:08 am 
Trackologist

Yeah, it's sad that some fail to realize how their selfishness impacts others. I'll tell you what, and this is no bs; MTMG is the best MTM site out here. Yep, I realize most of the sites that supported this game no longer exist, but in retrospect, MTMG was still the best - I just didn't realize it then. Image

Hopefully those of you out there using d/l managers will have a little respect for the owner's wishes, bearing in mind how your actions affect others.

I'll put the word out in the SLO forum to ensure everyone on that side is aware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:47 pm 
Glow Ball

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the support. Here's a little update for you. This is a (large) pic of the server log.

http://mtmx.cjb.net/~pics/log.jpg

What you see is the activity of who logs on and tries to access anything on the site. As you see, at the present moment, there is a hog at work. The IP address is a phoney, but it's blockable. So, he gets no files (403 errors) but you see how persistent the program is. Several hundred hits every second. Needless to say, that still interferes with general access.

I've sent a note to a maker of one of these programs. I don't expect much help but you never know....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:32 pm 

I've used a download utility to get the utils... Sorry.... Didnt realize the problem I was creating..... the good news..... It was in the middle of the night.. on diffrent nights between december and april....