MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:28 am

Post subject: I'm seeing things
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:33 pm 

Most modern motherboards come with a variety of sensors for monitoring such things as temperature, fan speeds, and voltages. My new computer has an ASUS motherboard with just such items, and a software utility (ASUS PC Probe) for monitoring them. Lately, due to just a little paranoia and suspicion about a noise possibly being made by a fan, I decided to set the utility to start automatically with Windows and quietly monitor everything in the background, and sound an alarm if anything goes amiss.

Now, 99% of the time it's quite happy - but on more than one occasion it's gone a little haywire. Like reporting the fan suddenly jumping from around 2700 rpm, to -1700, or the core voltage, which normally sits at about 2V, going to 12. It usually only reports such crazy values for a minute or so before returning to normal, although the other day it was stringing a whole series of apparent malfunctions together, one after the other. And, strangely, nearly all the times it's happened it's done so while someone's been playing Dungeon Siege.

I'm pretty sure it's misreporting when it does this - it graphs each monitor in real time, and there's something that make me think something's not telling the truth. Like the line for the CPU fan going from a steady 2700 rpm, suddenly going vertically off the top of the scale to over 20,000. And if the voltage lines really were crisscrossing one another like a earthquake richter scale, I'd don't think the PC would be functioning for me to watch it.

Is it commonplace for these things to misreport occasionally? And how am I supposed to know if something is wrong if I can't take it seriously?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:08 pm 
Glow Ball

>>Is it commonplace for these things to misreport occasionally?

So much so that I refuse to use them any more. A thing you can do might be to check the asus site to see if they have updated the monitoring utility, and, while you're there, have a look at the driver/bios updates they're offering. With the relatively new chipset in your mb these are the kinds of problems a bios flash would address. Also, I've heard, but not used one, that there are good third party utilities available... but my experience cautions about the notion of 'good' when talking about third party programs. They usually target specific kinds of things/manufacturers and if they don't happen to be on your system, you've wasted your time and money.

------------------