MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:40 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:22 pm 

I don't really know what the fuss is about. The average good cartoon has 10 to 15 frames per second. Does anyone find cartoons impossible to watch? I thought not. Even when playing MTM2 online between two computers about half as good as mine never getting above 20fps I found no problems with lagging

------------------
Wyld Stallyns Rule!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:07 am 
Both offline and online...I was racing with a few people on a track. That one second that they were on the screen, the FPS dropped to less than 1. It's BAD to sum it up, lol. And yes they were all stockers. I cant really have their addon trucks podded or it would be much worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:39 am 
Glow Ball

I adjusted Vertical sync, not Anti-aliasing.

While I'm here, I'd like to disspell a myth: the human eye is not limited to 24 fps. Rather, 24 fps is the threshold at which the mind convincingly ignores static differences, hence creating the illusion of motion. We still notice the effects of frame rates much higher than that, which is one of the reasons video uses 30 fps.

The reason you'd want to lock a program's frame rate to the screen's refresh rate (vertical sync) is to guaranty proper image display. We've all seen a program that becomes unviewable because of a mish mash of lines running across the screen. That's what happens when they're not synchronized.

Slick, I can't say exactly what the problem is but we're in the right direction. Maybe the thing to try is getting the drivers from the nvidia site and start again. I don't use the manufacturer's drivers for my graphics card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 8:51 am 

Phin is right (doh). I always notice the difference between 25fps and 75fps. Of course 30 fps is usually enough to have optimum play.

'bout the drivers. Here depends from card to card and from the manufacturer. For example:
My card is a Leadtek Gf3 Ti500 and i use the drivers that came with the card. They work very good. In 3d mark 2001 se, only in one place the program drags. And in games it performes very good. I downloaded the manufacturers latest drivers and in 3d mark my score went down by 1000 points. I tried nvidia's latest drivers and it fell down 600 points more (1600 points compared to initially). I also loaded up some graphical demanding games and indeed, they were working worser in some scenes.

A friend of mine has an Asus Gf 2 GTS and it took him 1.5 years to find drivers that worked better then the ones that came with the card.

------------------
The humans think it is a poison of the blood that makes us what we are.
Fools, the blood only feeds the bodies we live in. To create a vampire,
one must steal a soul from the abyss to reanimate the corpse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:42 am 

One thing is to try setting all the video card back to manufacturer's defaults. This gave me a big boost in MTM framerates if I remember correctly. (keep vsync disabled, though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:48 pm 
meh..It was 75 flat FPS on the first day I got the computer..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 5:07 pm 

I decided to play around with the graphics options of my comp, to see what I'd get.

Firstly, I cannot locate a vsync option anywhere in my 3D card options, except for in the OpenGL-specific options page. I tried setting vsync to disabled there, but that had no effect on the framerate of MTM2, which runs under Direct3D.

Going slightly off-topic, the other thing I did was try out the various antialiasing options. Which have you found is best?

My GeForce4 card supports:
2x
Quincunx
4x
4xS (Direct3D only)

It was defaulted to "Allow applications to control the antialiasing mode", but no application I've yet run actually appears to *do* anything with antialiasing, so I tried manually selecting the antialiasing mode. I tested them all out in MTM2 and was mightily impressed by what I saw. Obviously, going down the list you get better image quality - 2x was okay but there was some visible texture seaming and it had funny artifacts appearing around the edges of the wheels, 4x was better, but 4xS looked phenomenal (Quincunx I didn't like - it just made everything blurry, including the numeric readouts like the lap times).

None of these had any effect on the framerate either - the only way I could force some variation was to load up a few complex trucks (my Iron Warrior, BigDOGGe's Falcon's TALON, Repfan's Bigfoot Xbox...) and get them all on the screen at once, and even then it still stayed comfortably above 30.

I tried the antialiasing in other games (all of which I run in 1024x768 resolution). V8 Challenge looked better with each progressive antialiasing mode, although once you got to 4x there was visible stutter in the framerate if you watched the scenery passing by, although it didn't seem to make any difference whether there was one car or 15 on the track. GTA3 also looked nice, but once again the framerate dropped quite badly in 4x and 4xS modes. But Dungeon Siege had some real problems; for a start it would only run in 4xS mode, or with no antialiasing at all. In any of the other modes, the screen just went black, although you could still hear the sounds of the game, so it was certainly running. Also in 4xS mode, for some reason it felt it necessary to antialias *everything* - including text and other things it shouldn't.

Anyway, is there a way to set the antialiasing mode on a per-program basis, for those programs (ie all) that don't control the antialiasing mode themselves? Now that I've seen MTM2 in 4xS mode I naturally want to run it like that all the time, but there's no point in doing this setting in the 3D options if it's going to affect the framerate of some of my other games, while still other games refuse to work correctly at all...

------------------
Look, when I say things like that, what I obviously meant was "I'm an idiot, don't listen to me"...

[This message has been edited by Drive2Survive (edited 11-08-2002).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:16 pm 
Glow Ball

>>is there a way to set the antialiasing mode on a per-program basis

No, but there might be a cheap workaround for winxp. Add user profiles. Set each profile to use the various settings, then launch the games from those profiles. A nmemonic might be to name the profile after the setting or the game you're using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:54 am 
Sheesh!

Some folks are only interested in the numbers.

"I overclocked my video card!"
"I get 1034 frames per second!"
"My machine is a P4/2.2GHZ!"

I guess it's a macho bragging-rights thing, eh?

Monster Truck Madness 2 is over 6 years old now. If you can't run it on your "hot" machine, then maybe it's BECAUSE you are tweaking it to death or changing too many settings away from the recommended defaults.

I have a lowly P2/400 with 128MB RAM, wheezing along pushing Windows XP. I have absolutely NO problem with MTM2, even though all my graphics and sounds are set to maximum values, I have a 56K modem, and the game usually reports around 35-45 frames per second. It looks beautiful and runs smooth, and rarely experiences any lag online.

Maybe it's because I'm nearsighted. Does 75 frames per second really look bad to you? Or are you just hoping to get a screen capture of some gee-whiz high numbers to impress your friends? You can always create your own artifical numbers with Windoze "Paint"...