MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:47 pm

Post subject: what a mess...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:44 am 
easy company

last night the winds here kicked up to as high 90 mph which is a class A hurricane and extremely rare for this part of the country... anyway about 2:30 am this morning a telephone pole was blown over near the RR tracks by where i live suspending the lines 5 feet or so above the ground, then along came the metrolink train snagging the lines and proceded to yank down about 20 more poles up and down the street.

they say as long as a week before i get any power back, so i'm gonna be scarce until then...

i'm on a laptop with a low battery so i gotta run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:33 pm 
Glow Ball

Hurry back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:50 pm 
Trackologist

Whoa!! Man, from the sounds of it it's incredible no one got hurt! I know what high winds are like having been thru a few tornadoes (scary suckers they are), so it's really nice to hear you guys are ok. Still, gotta be a bummer having to go without power for...up to a week, did you say? Hopefully they gave you a "worse case scenario" guestimate and you guy's power will be up in a few days.

Until then, take it easy out there, bud...and say hey to Skata for me. Image

------------------
COPE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:48 pm 
easy company

i gotta type fast since this screen is dim and dunno if the phone lines'll go dead again here soon or not since they're still laying on the ground but somehow i have a dial tone... anyway they say the power will be back up by saturday thanks to the help from 26 crews from the bay areas pg&e, and arizona electric... we'll see as there's still a lot of damage, the winds have died but rain is expected tomorrow

i have some pics of what happens when a 450 ton train traveling 50-60 mph snags a one and a quarted inch braided steel support cable snapping 28 (twenty eight :o) 18" dia telephone pole in half before it came to a stop... a freak accident but amazing no one was killed.

hopefully i'll be back up to speed soon... until then i have no idea whats going on around here, including any emails... :O(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:48 pm 
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/news/breaking_news/4892741.htm
http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=19772§ion=LOCAL&year=2003&month=1&day=9

Good luck Mal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:35 pm 

What a mess indeed, I wonder if this will inspire a track, heh.
I hope all is well and that your loss is minimal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:07 am 
easy company

Santa Ana winds that roared through Southern California left thousands of people without power, interrupted rail and air service and fanned wildfires that threatened hundreds of Malibu homes.

I'm happy to report that none of my multimillion dollar homes were damaged... <font size=+1 face=Wingdings>J</font>

those houses are built like medieval castles and probably wouldn't burn if you poured gasoline on them since they were all rebuilt from the '93 fires we had, but since it's where all the important movie stars (lol) (roflol) live it was big news...

the derailed metrolink incident that RF mentioned happened 6 hours after and twenty miles away from my predicament (the local train service was having a bad day too)

anywho, I have power again after five and a half days of being in the dark and guess what, I got to help out by verifying the 3 phase rotation for edison a short time ago ....whooohooo :o)

>>>What a mess indeed, I wonder if this will inspire a track
yeah a straght away, called Poleville, lol

>>>I hope all is well and that your loss is minimal!
Well my business that normaly runs 24 hrs a day 5 days a week took a pretty big hit but no one that i know was hurt so i'm not complaining.
it would have taken an 800 amp generater (very big) to get the shop up and running last week and the local vultures err rental yards wanted $600 to $700 a day fer one and that's not counting the 5 gallons per hour of diesel they burn at $2.30 a gallon...

time to catch up on some mtm thangs... I think I'll start by taking some laps on that nOObie bellmont track.

<font size=1>Edited by Malibu350 (11-01-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:38 am 
easy company

here's a pic showing a couple poles from my shops vantage point

the pic

not much to look at, ya kinda had to be there i know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:13 pm 
Glow Ball

Close to home, huh? I removed my earlier post as I felt it might be viewed as trivializing your situation, but the truth is things like this irk me to no end. I understand it was bad weather and all but no way it should happen and no way it should take the better part of a week to get fixed. It's small consolation but I guess we should be thankful it wasn't worse.

<font size=+1 face=Wingdings>K</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:17 pm 

Wow

------------------
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around" -Penelope Cruz, Vanilla Sky