MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 pm

Post subject: Where's the MTMG 2000 Expo?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:02 am 

I wanted to lake a look back on the times i missed (i think it was about then when i started doing tracks) but i cannot find the page anymore Image

------------------
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around" -Penelope Cruz, Vanilla Sky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:22 am 
Glow Ball

Goto tracks, sort by type, look for straight-a-way, look at details, click link

http://rhinoseros.com/~mtmg/tracks/tracks.cgi?s=type

or

http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/contests/

or more directly

http://rhinoseros.com/~mtmg/contests/expo2000/expo2000.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:42 pm 
seems like it was only yesterday ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:51 am 
Glow Ball

Yep. Now for the big question. If we were to have a new expo, what would the theme/idea be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:47 am 

Naked beans?

Hehe no really now, do you think there are enough people around to be worth a an expo?

------------------
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around" -Penelope Cruz, Vanilla Sky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:34 pm 
Glow Ball

If it's interesting and fun, yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:49 pm 

As long as its interesting and fun i think it's worth it. Now the thing is to get the theme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:31 am 
Glow Ball

First, there is the arbitrary approach. Simple things like best traxx school oval (< 0:30), or best > 3:00 course, or best indoor. Or there's the mtmg approach, you know, raising the standard; so, we'd have to ask ourselves what's the biggest weakness in tracks at this point in the history of the universe as we've come to understand it, and make that the focus. Next, there's the free-for-all idea where anything goes. Then there's themes proper; that is, a television or movie based theme, or most appropriate music where you choose the music first then build the track to suit, or pick a season and build to suit the season, or time of day (fog or pitch black tracks) or something like that, or an outer space theme, or ST theme. The trick is to find a hook that can appeal to any tastes. There's also the possibility of revisiting mont gris, there's tons of tracks left in that terrain; or, following that idea, provide a selection of terrains to choose from (popcorn etc). Last one for now, would be to make txx's for the stock tracks and say we go for the best enhanced/remake stocker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:52 am 

I'd go from your ideas with (to narrow it down):

things like best traxx school oval (< 0:30), or best > 3:00 course
Next, there's the free-for-all idea where anything goes
There's also the possibility of revisiting mont gris, there's tons of tracks left in that terrain (what's this?)
Last one for now, would be to make txx's for the stock tracks and say we go for the best enhanced/remake stocker.

Personally i also like this but i don't think there are that many creators left out there:

most appropriate music where you choose the music first then build the track to suit
pick a season and build to suit the season,

Hmmm, that didn't really narrow it down that much, did it?

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:43 am 
Glow Ball

> but i don't think there are that many creators left

There are at least three newbs presently working (that I know about). And most of the old timers just need inspiration; stuff like this provides it. Also, if we make it a spring time thing that has a deadline of say, may or june, then nobody has to feel pressured for time. How many times do you hear people say "I would but I'm busy right now"? Seriously, there were more tracks made in '02 than in either '01 or '00. Call me crazy, but the problem is finding the hook, not finding people to participate. And remember, it's for fun so who wouldn't give a shot when there's nothing at stake? Lastly, the w99 contest only had four tracks entered, but they were all very good tracks. Sometimes a little is enough.

For the second part we should delve into trucks. Eg. mtm2.com or rhino trucks. In the end we make a pack out of them all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:43 am 

To throw something out there:
Enhanced conversions, say a course from another game enhanced, new look, edited terrain, ect. (oh, wait I wonder who would win that one. :o)

Few Q's:
-On the stocker remake and traxx school do you think custom textures/models would be allowed?
-On indoor do you mean arena's or anything that makes the track an indoor feel? Like for example an arena track like the fromage 3 pack vs. a bigger indoor environment like do it indoors by sleeper.

Fila, on your post you put a whats this next to the mount gris statement, if you wanted to know what mount gris was then it is a random terrain track that zoon didn't finish but made available to public to finish/make something out of it. Refer back to the winter'99 contest here if you want to see it.

<font size=1>Edited by Kdawg (05-01-2003)</font>

<font size=1>Wint edit: I "disabled smilies" so we could see the one intended. :o)</font>

<font size=1>Edited by Winterkill (10-01-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:51 am 
Glow Ball

> Enhanced conversions

The only real conversions for tracks are from evo, and the majority of those have already been done. I don't think conversions, at this point in time, is the hook we need. This time last year, sure; but now?

> On the stocker remake do you think custom textures/models would be allowed?

First response is yes. I think the only restriction would be something like keeping the start/finish line in the same spot, or something like that to keep it recognizable. Something like the w99 contest but much more free.

> On the traxx school do you think custom textures/models would be allowed?

Possibly. Remember, to qualify for a traxx school a person could not have made a track before. It wouldn't be fair to see Malibu350, Alpine, Zoon and Yeastman make a small oval while some newb struggles to get textures aligned.

> On indoor do you mean arena's or anything that makes the track an indoor feel? Like for example an arena track like the frottage pack vs. a bigger indoor environment like do it indoors by sleeper.

Ever looking ahead, my first thought was to create more models the drag fellas could use. But sleeper's track, or any big stadium track would have to be considered seriously. Until there's more imput, I think it's best to keep this in mind as a possible direction. Choice is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:03 am 

Quote:
mount gris

Thanks for clearing that up.

That looks interesting (from my point of view).

Note: Now i know why Reospeed came up with such a great track, Monte Carlo is one of my favourite tracks.

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:47 am 
Glow Ball

Well will you look at that! Another one. Adrenaline Tester and Weevilville are a couple more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:21 pm 

Just so you know, I've long had the idea of getting into track making and making a track based loosely on my surrounding area... Something like this would be a good kick to get me into it.

Of course, I have an annoying tendency to get bogged down with things so it may not ever see the light of day... for instance, take a look at this:

<center>Image Image Image Image</center>

I made little graphics to indicate the year in which each truck on my website was released... firstly, it's scary I've been involved with MTM2 for all these years, but what's more scary for me is the realisation that the 2001 graphic was only ever used once, and the 2002 has never been used at all!

Still, I'm optomistic, and depending on what you decide a comp like this would give me something to shoot for...

------------------
Please use the brake provided and not the vehicle in front of you.
- V8 Challenge online racing guidelines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:05 pm 
Trackologist

Better late than never, huh? I definitely like the idea of an expo, however, I think because of the game's popularity level compared to what it was in '99/'2000, it might be a good idea to go small scale and limit it to say...3 categories. The rationale for my opinion is to use it as a tool to assess what the actual interest level is. I would hate to see a ton of time put into organizing a huge function, only to have a dismal showing. I honestly don't feel there's enough people overall to support a grand affair. But I do agree with Phin that there is enough people to support such an endeavor in general, and that if it's interesting and fun, who knows...we might all be surprised in the numbers it generates participation-wise. Heck, I might even make a track lol.

I liked most of the ideas you threw out there, Phin, and if I had to choose a few from the lineup, I kinda like tv/movie theme, free-for-all, and the traxx school oval. If this initial one is a hit, then the the next time around we simply "pump up the volume" a tad and go with it. Image

Those are my initial thoughts, anyway. As I read more and think this thing over I'll jot down what pops in my head

------------------
COPE

<font size=1>Edited by SLO_COPE (08-01-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:05 pm 
i havent made any tracks in eternity, however something like this may get me kickstarted again.

a reformat where u lose all ur work kinda makes u lose interest hehe.

I have an idea.
No wait i dont.

sorry Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:04 pm 

It's funny, as the year ended I was thinking about whether there would be an expo this year, it's nice to see the idea floating here.

I'd favor an 'anything goes' approach, as themes can sometimes be too limiting, even though they can provide direction and level the playing field in a way.

Trucks? Yes, a good addition.

The screenshots of Expo 2000 were an excellent way to involve the non-editing types (nods to Kdawg) and should be included again, but I'm wondering if something more could be included for the non-creative folks, like a mini racing tournament (tough to schedule) or an offical-observed fast-lap (easy to schedule), perhaps on a new track unseen by any but a contest offical or two.

If track types were to be split up I wonder if a drag and/or replica section could be worked in, to please that element of the community, though this may fragment the overall competition too much.

If I remember correctly the '99 contest had rookie and pro categories, that is still a good idea.

A track prop section is still a good idea too.

Many different categories? What the heck, if one person submits, or nobody submits, who cares. To the victor go the spoils, which raises yet another question. ;-)

Hmm....
- tracks: rookie, pro, drag
- screenshots
- track props
- trucks
- mini-tourney
- terrain textures
- logos/banners/icons
- I love mtm2 essay (just kidding)
-
-
-
-
-

"I have an annoying tendency to get bogged down with things so it may not ever see the light of day"

Hey, thats my line! Hehe, you have no idea.

Naked beans?! Methinks that lad belongs in a nuthouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:43 am 

Methinks that lad belongs in a nuthouse. Yes, indeed.

Now i gotta leave, i just took the pill that the nurse says it makes me sleep easier (i think she's the nut actually).

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:56 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Winterkill:
[B]- terrain textures <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like.....

As for the whole screenshot thing, I don't even remember being the one who suggested it. Image